Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 Mazda6. I have the same issue. Mazda told me it's not under warranty, so they aren't responsible. I am complaining everywhere I can find to complain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sticky Dashboard

Hi I have the same problem with mine, its Mazda 6 2012 2.0 model, passenger side dashboard sticky perhaps its melting, I live here in UAE hope someone can tell us what to do and who to approach about this problem.

·
Registered
17 Blue Reflex Mazda 6 Touring
28 Posts
Not sticky... yet

We've had our 09 iSport since Nov. 2012 and test drove an 09 GT on the same day that had a sticky/melting dash. (passenger side) My car did live in NJ until we got it which may explain why currently at 84,251 miles mine is still ok, but since I live in FL and have seen this problem up close... I purchased a suede-like dash cover from Advance for about $30. That said, it's prolly just a matter of time for us all. I'll be monitoring this thread ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, thats straight up insane. Ive never heard of a dash melting, let alone on cars just a few years old. Somehow Mazda really screwed up here. Too bad there is no free recall.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can somebody post some pics of the aftermath of the dash melting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
dashboard melting

Good News! Mazda finally realized it is a manufacturing defect and now will replace the melted dashboard under an extended warranty. The only problem is they are back ordered. It can be a few months depending on your car model.

I always thought it was due it was a combination of my teenager's thoughtlessness and the Florida heat.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
do you have a source for that? i've got the same thing with my 09 Mazda 6.
Mazda sent out a letter regarding the issue to Mazda 6 owners. I received two letters since I own two within the years the issue occurs. But I have always used leather conditioner or some sort of non-greassy UV blocker on the dash in general so I have not had that problem.

The letter will let you get it replaced at your dealership free of charge. For people who already paid for it prior to the notice, there is a reimbursement letter as well and a form to fill out. The letter was sent out in December.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I logged a complaint with Mazda Australia and received a determination from them today. They have agreed to cover the cost of the dash but i will need to pay for the installation. Probably the best result i could have hoped for as the warranty expired 3 years ago. I just need to find out a place that will do the replacement and they will send the part there.

I've added some pick of the dashboard. The melting bit is at the front of the passenger side. The top part is also starting to tacky and soft in the heat too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mazda sent out a letter regarding the issue to Mazda 6 owners. I received two letters since I own two within the years the issue occurs. But I have always used leather conditioner or some sort of non-greassy UV blocker on the dash in general so I have not had that problem.

The letter will let you get it replaced at your dealership free of charge. For people who already paid for it prior to the notice, there is a reimbursement letter as well and a form to fill out. The letter was sent out in December.
I'm assuming that this is in the US? I bought mine new so they have all my details but i never got any correspondence.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'm assuming that this is in the US? I bought mine new so they have all my details but i never got any correspondence.
Yes, this is in the US. I am uncertain of other countries, but your dash looks the same, so one could presume the same materials were used? I don't know. I'd call the corporate office in your country to make certain it covers your models. This free replacement for US customers was brought on I presume by the US based lawsuit regarding the melting panels. (mentioned and linked in an above previous post). If no such lawsuit was filed in other countries, I'd bet that's why you did not get any correspondence?

See below the letter that was sent to the US based customers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda dash board melting -UAE they are replacing now

Hi I have the same problem with mine, its Mazda 6 2012 2.0 model, passenger side dashboard sticky perhaps its melting, I live here in UAE hope someone can tell us what to do and who to approach about this problem.[/QUO

Got my passenger side dash today for free. But they forced me to do a C inspection.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just called my local service department about the passenger airbag recall. They also mentioned the sticky dash thing. Mine has been like that for a few years. It also has a crack that is visible only when pressing on it. I'm glad I called because I considered replacing it myself. The service dept. rep said the parts should be coming in around the same time. Guess I'll knock out 2 birds with one stone since the closest Mazda dealer is close to one hour away.

·
Registered
17 Blue Reflex Mazda 6 Touring
28 Posts
Just an update from Central Florida, US.

So this summer I noticed that even with the dash cover I ended up with the sticky dash (crash pad) on the passenger side... along with the airbag inflator and airbag sensor recalls. With the parts on back-order I was left to wait.

After calling the Mazda Experience Center in early December and discussing my concerns about the safety of my grandchildren now riding with me regularly, they offered to put me into a "long term rental" until the parts for my car were available.

The next day I dropped off my Sixter and picked up a rental courtesy of Mazda which I drove until last Monday. (put 3,500 miles on it)

Now my airbag recalls have been completed and my dash looks brand new. Keep in mind that they provided the rental due to the safety issue with the airbag inflator recall and not the sticky dash. But Mazda did fix all three issues at the same time AND put me in a free rental when my car had 106,000 miles on it. Zero out of pocket.

Very happy to have my Sixter back and with the above and beyond service from Mazda US and the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I was that lucky. I went to the local stealership to get some recalls done and when I mentioned the sticky dash they said that they can only replace dashes on cars that have been in accidents right now since they are low on parts. The jerkoff there said that the only way he could get a new dash installed for me was if he wrecked my car. He then proceeded to tell me that he would just place a black plastic trash bag over it help prevent glare.

I called Mazda's customer support and they claim they are looking for a part for me and in the meantime they will reimburse me for a dash cover to cut down on the glare. *Sigh*

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine also started to do the same thing beginning about 6 years into ownership. The recall came for the airbags so I will see if I can roll that sticky mess (mainly left side dash) taken care of as well...will report back.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts