Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm surprised that Duplicolor doesn't call for priming the aluminum before painting -- I thought that the accepted practice for any painting of aluminum is to use a "self-etching primer" first. Duplicolor sells that stuff, and they say to use that primer before painting any aluminum parts or body panels. Even with the special paint, I would have thought that aluminum primer would make the paint adhere better and last longer.

I've used the primer on aluminum, then Duplicolor paint, and then Duplicolor clear. Good stuff!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to do this within the next week or so. My problem is what color.

i have M6 '06 sport with DARK CHERRY paint job.

What color do you think will go with this? I'm leaning BLACK. What about a dark blue?

What do you guys think?

Jeremy

Providence,
Rhode Island

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'm going black Calipers, with white Mazda stickers.

It's fun modding your car.

I also painted my engine cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i bought the duplicolor black caliper kit from Autozone.

I didn't really notice the black calipers when i was finished painting. But after i put the Mazda decals on, now it sticks out so you notice them. It looks clean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
NICE write-up ... I'll probably try this in the very near future (before I drop my cow ...)

·
Registered
345 Posts
looks good, but you painted the brake shim, and the clips and the pad to the caliper... needing to change the brakes might be a pain in the ass...

Nah I did the same thing but blue and minus the MS6 Sticker but I did paint them together but taking the caliper off and all was simple and nothing stuck. you should be fine. Also I put the silver shiny side showing out when i put them back on it looks legit. :dmetal:

·
Registered
13 Posts
(super duper long post date edit)
Finally finished doing this over the weekend.
Had to use an empty lot down the street, our driveway was sloped just enough to make it hard to raise the car up.

As I've recently learned with car stuff, don't expect things to go smoothly - it will take longer than you expect. Took me about 10 minutes to get the front wheels off....and another hour to get the rear wheels off because they were seized up. Put on 3 coats by sunlight, put on a 4th coat (just to do it while I had the chance) by fading sunlight and eventually a flashlight.

Putting the wheels back on yesterday (roughly 18 hours after finishing paint), of course 1 of the calipers (front driver side) took a 1/4" knick, so I touched that up real quick by painting through the spokes. Finally drove it for the first time this morning, very pleased with the results. I'll post pics later after I get home.

Very very easy job, easy to do. Bought our car used (Volcano Red 05 6i), calipers look brand new on it though (they were not dirty at all). Red DupliColor matches nicely. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
i was just looking at a couple painting kits last night, and now with your help i think ill deff get the paint on as opposed to the spray paint. yours look awesome! i have the same color 6 but im painting my calipers purple. soooo excited!

·
Registered
115 Posts
wondering the same thing....
I was wondering if your rims came stock with the polished aluminum or did you do that yourself? I want to do that myself since mine are impossible to keep clean looking and it bugs the crap out of me. If you did it yourself could you give me a heads up on how to do it? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did mine this weekend, but wished I would have seen this post first. I love the stickers on the calipers. I used Duplicolor body paint in the past for body work, but I use walmart spraypaint for my calipers. Then I coat it with Duplicolor 500 degree clearcoat. Looks good and lasts for a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i want to go with gold calipers, and i have a vinyl sign making machine (u know ur jealous) hhmm but i cant find the paint i want... gold badges, and either bronze or gun metal wheels.... i cant decide. its a shame i just finished painting all my badges too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
these look good for a couple of months, first good shot from a car wash hose, any type of tire or wheel cleaner, or just general wear and it all comes off leaving the caliper looking worse than before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
these look good for a couple of months, first good shot from a car wash hose, any type of tire or wheel cleaner, or just general wear and it all comes off leaving the caliper looking worse than before.
Did you use the clear coat?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts