Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to make up my mind on choosing the color for my calipers on my Onyx Black 6 . Was worried red would flash too much , so I was debating for a while between this and , silver or black . Knowing that rust would still show too much on the discs ; doing just the calipers would not be enough . Again silver or black . Came the idea that silver wouldn't match the steel color of the discs (where pads contact) , too with my silver OEM mags and that rust tears would show too much on silver .

So I went with satin black for the discs , and for the same reasons above ; silver wouldn't do for the calipers .... so I decided that red would come out nicely with the chrome-dipped mags & the onyx black body combo of color . Not having a garage to shelter me from wind-swept paint fumes , I chose to go with paintbrush caliper paint kit from Duplicolor , and I figured that way I'd have less of a chance to mess up the job with over-sprayed paints runs .

This is what I (and certain ones who've seen pics of my 6 here before) had to contend with when looking at her in her previously sad state .

and voila ! ... never to be looked at the same ; now I can't keep my eyes off of her :yesnod: (more pics for desert , below the How-To)

STUFF NEEDED :

The beauty with the DupliColor CERAMIC Caliper Paint Kit is that everything you'll need is included in it for $22 CDN . It comes with one pint of paint (which you will have more than half left after doing two good coats) , one paint brush , one popsicle stick (for mixing) , one spray can of Brake Cleaner , one roll masking tape enough to complete the job the job (didn't have to use the extra roll I'd bought in case) .

The only other things I bought was a 3m Scuff Pad and two (1 1/2 & 2 1/2in.) circular copper-coated wire bristle brush to mount on my drill for scrubbing away loose rust on the discs and oxidization on the calipers . Hey , I wasn't gonna waist energy on sanding and see-saw motion with a hand wire-brush ! :) And last , a spray can of Clear - DupliColor Engine Enamel with High Heat CERAMIC .

3M Scuff Pad

Circular Wire-Bristle Brush

Clear Spray Can

HOW-TO:

IMPORTANT
Now make sure you raise the car on four safe jack stands .... and remove all four wheels ; 'cause you will be doing every step consecutively to all four corners before proceeding to the next step : this way no time is wasted and steps uselessly done .

A year and a half of rust and oxidization

After a quick-pass of the drill just to show (middle-area of disc) the difference (left/right) on a portioned-done part of the disc

I continued to drill-scrub all around the middle part edge + the outer circumference edge of the disc (part around - where it is ventilated) ..... which were all going to be blacked 'later' . Finished scrubbing-off with the easiest part : the caliper itself .

Once you're done scrubbing , wipe excess dust left-overs with rag . Then proceed to spray the BRAKE CLEANER (can supplied in kit) over all areas to be painted (including dust shield in back of disc - even though I didn't scrub it) . Use abundently (I had two kits :p ) This cleaner dries instantly ! :) No need to wait/worry for drying .

Then proceed to mask areas around caliper with tape . (In my case I chose to paint the calipers first ) also in the pic below with rust untouched ( I had no intentions of painting the center/unseen part where studs are since the mag was going to hide it ... but later changed my mind and painted it over rust = more pleasing pics for How-To)

Follow instructions and proceed to paintBRUSH one light coat and allow to dry at least 15 minutes (meanwhile go on to the next 3 calipers) . Make sure to apply even amounts with the brush to even out the coating . By the time you're done the first coat on all four calipers ; it'll be time for the second coat starting with the 1st caliper. With this next coat it really covers well and you won't need a third .

Remove tape and voila ! (the paint dries and can be handled after 3 hours)

By this time I had run out of daylight , but no way was I to leave a beautiful caliper next to a terrible looking disc ..... so I ended doing the black on the discs the next day ......

Now , in this next pic ; I taped the area where the pad makes contact , but allowed a slight gap (@ a mm) to make sure middle circle area would be entirely covered with painted (do tape only portion where caliper permits - not entire circle 'cause tape won't clear under pad and won't allow you to rotate it )

Take a grocery plastic bag and slide it under the brake pad and then over-lap the caliper with it and tuck it in tight in the back ; so to avoid black paint over your hard worked red painted caliper !

Again , do this to all other wheels before you start painting .... once covered go ahead and paintBRUSH .
Once the fourth caliper painted , DO NOT REMOVE THE MASKED AREAS ! CONTINUE applying a second coat to all four again ; in same manner .

Once the two coats of black applied remove masked areas , rotate the disc to reveal unpainted area from under caliper and proceed to tape/mask in previous fashion ..... then when done the same to all four ..... proceed to apply first coat to one after caliper after the other , then proceed with a second coat .

Once all masked areas removed , I didn't like what I saw : the middle area left unpainted , so for How-To picture/appearance purposes I went ahead and painted over the un-removed rust ..... and then I continue my paint-binge with the vertical suspension bar that to me WOULD BE visible once the wheels would be back on .... again I went ahead and painted over these un-prepped as well !

I like the clean finish and contrast it gives where the pad contacts next to the black painted disc part (over/under)

Went ahead and painted the suspension parts to the rear as well

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAZDASPEED Stickers

Went to a sticker shop and had these stickers created after the logo ; in a bent fashion to fit the rake of curvature in relation to the caliper angle ... not a perfect match percentage of angle-wise , but pretty close !

Waited five days for paint to cure (needed befor reapplying new coats , once you have surpassed the original 1 hour window time frame of last applied coat - see paint instructions)

Scuffed lightly the red calipers (I was regretting my actions as I was doing this :swearin: ) so the about to be applied DupliColor Clear Engine Enamel would adhere properly .

Then applied stickers carefully , but even then ; it took me all four stickers made to get it on right the best I could !!!

Once that was applied to all four corners , I proceeded to apply a thin light coat over the stickered calipers , consecutively at each corner of the car , with 10 minutes intervals in between coats . Applied a good 4 coats . Let dried over-night . Then installed the wheels ....

IMPORTANT

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO CHIP YOUR ART WORK when putting back your wheels on make sure to cover the top part (at least) of your caliper with a cotton face-cloth ! Trust me , I learned the hard way :swearin: having to restart the majority of the steps the next day (this happened before the stickers when I was painting the red )

Pics with & w/out flash

Tell us how it smells after a good vigorous run down a mountain.
[/b]
You speaking from experience , I gather ..... ya I did get a slight smell from heated paint ; but the intensity is fading as days go by .... nevertheless I could live with the aroma , just looking at them makes it all worth it ! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
did u have as much fun painting by hand as i did? hehehe. i told u its fun. im thinking of painting the suspension bar as well. actually i was wire brushing it before i did my calipers and it still looked in good shape. so i might cancel on the painting thing.

but i do have a question. what happened to the disk? how did the paint come off so quickly? im guessing ur wheel?

EDIT: niice write up btw. i did mine at night so i wasnt able to take good pictures.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
looks good, but you painted the brake shim, and the clips and the pad to the caliper... needing to change the brakes might be a pain in the ass...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
that's a helluva lot of work for an asthetic mod. not sure it was really necessary to paint anything other than the calipers b/c you can't really see anything else. looks like you did a great job and nice write up, though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Damn it looks real nice i love the calipers with the stickers.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx guys & gal *, I hope this helps people make up their mind a bit easier as to what they want to do .

emii_rei * , you helped me in the same fashion , and ya I just painted one coat over the un-removed rust so I guess the mag really didn't help either , but as you can see it doesn't show when the mag's on .

808loverboy , I'm glad you like those stickers , the idea came to me from wanting to put Mazdaspeed stickers elsewhere on the car since my springs will be soon installed (UPS mishap). I haven't seen any other with these on yet so I'm proud of my idea . Was thinking of adding tinier ZOOM ZOOM at the rears with '6' on the 4 pads .

arch4life , I'm not worried about it , a blade will handle the job fine when comes the time to change them pads (won't be for a couple years at least with the little mileage I put on - I'm only at 8,200 kms since Oct '05) + the paint doesn't stick well to the aluminium (I think) of the pad as it already chipped on one just with wash-hosing !

jsherrill28 , it doesn't show in the first pic , but IT DID SHOW too much in real life , looking through the mags you could see all the corrosion on the discs ; it was terrible ! Now it's discrete with the satin black and all the attention is on the caliper and the clean path of the pad on the disc .

iboo , why don't you do yours now , I won't mind heheh , after all it's here we get our ideas ;) I find they fit well along the rake of the caliper ; I knew I wanted it with a slight difference from the Mazda 6 with flying M like these examples .
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/6Pa...erWht-Blk00.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/6Pa...ed-Silver00.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/6Pa...lk-Silver00.jpg

thx for your good feedback .... can't wait to install me next mods (MS springs + Bimmer flashers + personalized Club stickers ;) )

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had done the same thing on my Black 6. But a word of warning... make sure you clean the caliper well. Then Clean it again... after 6 months the Duplicolor paint started chipping. And flaking, and looks terrible up close now (after a year and a half).

If your going to do it, do not rush it... :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Awesome job man. The calipers look sick with the Mazdaspeed sticker on them. I'm planning on doing this very soon (I know my sig says it's done, I've been planning on doing them for the longest time but never got around to it). I was going to use the G2 paint kit, but is the Duplicolor a better kit??

Is this it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duplicolor-...sspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looks great man! You just reminded me how much I needed to do this! I just called napa and picking up the kit tomorrow for $18!

Going to do it this weekend! :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smilinvamp , I'm sorry to hear that .... my chipping happened 'cause of the aluminium of the pad which this kind of paint does not adhere properly ; officially learned this today with my colleague mechanic

JDMAtenza21 , ya this is the same kit , funny though in the choice of colors they give you in the text that they don't have red
Check out their site for all sorts of cool products , FAQs , & video demonstrations here http://www.duplicolor.com/
Then go to your local Napa , parts store and get it pronto , undamaged by shipping !

skatingzooyork , reminds me how long I waited , you'll feel very good about yourself and your car and you'll go out & take 100 pics like I did (of course not only the calipers) , I tried new approaches learnt here in another How-To

·
Registered
599 Posts
Smilinvamp , I'm sorry to hear that .... my chipping happened 'cause of the aluminium of the pad which this kind of paint does not adhere properly ; officially learned this today with my colleague mechanic

[/b]

I know... I was kinda hastly in getting this done myself. Which could have compounded the issue. I plan on repainting, I think more coats may help as well... we'll see... next summer :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
looks great man. i still can't decide on the color for island blue 6 :(. i guess the only downside to having the least used color huh.

·
Registered
475 Posts
thx i was wanting to do this soon i've done it before on my old bosses benzo but i remember it being a fukin nightmare getting good coverage with the yellow! thx for a good how-to. shit looks tight.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bumpin_blazer , I don't know what to suggest to you since I haven't seen your set-up on pics , if you think WRX STI the blue/gold combo is sharp with some gold/bronze wheels ..... if you have the stock wheels , well blk won't stand out , only a little bit more silver , red you shouldn't fear , I've seen it on the Lapis Blue , but I'll let YOU decide .....

I'm just glad people seeing this will find it easier to get motivated to do a job like this , that is after all, not that complicated to do , really ; esp. with this kit . It puts a grin on you and makes you feel better lookin' at your ride once it's done :)

Now I'm thinking , seeing these pics ; that the orange sidemarkers have got to go ... and either I NightShade them or I put clear ones to match the Bimmer fender flashers next to be installed .... but I think I'm leaning right now on the NightShades so to not distract from the side lines of headlight housing & over-doin' it on the side marker/lights

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i really think i want to do gold with black letters on the calipers. gold would look solid with black/gunmetal rims don't you think?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Now I'm thinking , seeing these pics ; that the orange sidemarkers have got to go ... and either I NightShade them or I put clear ones to match the Bimmer fender flashers next to be installed .... but I think I'm leaning right now on the NightShades so to not distract from the side lines of headlight housing & over-doin' it on the side marker/lights

[/b]
I used Nightshades and they look good... The only thing that I don't like is when they are on, the orange has a red tint to the color. It doesn't look bad, but I was just a little worried about the local bacon... But they haven't seemed to care (around here atleast).

Also if you do use Nightshades, make sure to paint the around the whole thing not just the face because there will be a slight line of orange if you dont... I learned the hard way. (mine were clear though)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts