Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice write up bro, I went with the wire brush to clean the valves and strongly recommend the blaster. Didnt come out nearly as good. Ill post up pics tomorrow of the Valves at 109,xxx .

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
First, nice write up!!!

Second, has anyone ever dyno'd before and after a valve cleaning? I wonder how much power loss we have after x miles?

Can't wait to try this out! Thanks again!
Well, the gains are going to depend upon how bad the valves are. A guy on MSF did this and picked up 20whp with a big turbo setup. However, his results are skewed due to having a piece of rubber in a runner, which would have been hurting his flow.
I have found my powerband to become much smoother after doing the cleanings, especially in the upper RPM's

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recall paying the dealership to do a fuel induction system cleaning so I decided to ask them some more details about it when I was there this morning. They said all they do essential is blast some air with some cleaning solution into the intake and it apparently cleans the system. Judging by the results from this thread it would take more than just sending some air into the system to truly clean it.

Do you think I could pay someone to do this for me since I honestly don't think I feel comfortable doing this myself?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I recall paying the dealership to do a fuel induction system cleaning so I decided to ask them some more details about it when I was there this morning. They said all they do essential is blast some air with some cleaning solution into the intake and it apparently cleans the system. Judging by the results from this thread it would take more than just sending some air into the system to truly clean it.

Do you think I could pay someone to do this for me since I honestly don't think I feel comfortable doing this myself?
COBB offers the service, as does BMW. Honestly though, this is very safe, jus follow the directions or ask locals for help. Mazda's service will clean nothing close compared to this...

·
Registered
672 Posts
What size compressor did u guys use for this job? Will need to buy one and want to make sure its up to the task.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I used a 8 gallon compressor and had no problems blasting the valves

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nice write up! Where were you a few years ago!!??

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I must say I've never seen anyone go to these lengths on an in frame cleaning! Brilliant!

A couple of before and after ideas to add:
Change the oil within 250 miles of adding B12 as some will have leaked past the valves into the combustion chamber.

Every 4 months add a bottle of Techron Fuel cleaner. With the methanol in the fule, it already attracts moisture so this helps remove that, but it also helps reduce deposits.

Don't lug your engine; lightly revving it keeps it cleaner than working it like a mule do to the increased velocity past the valves.

Very interesting! Good Job OP!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Techron will not help clean the valves in the speed. They are disi.

tapatalking.. err wait.
True, but I put one bottle in at every oil change to clean most of the fuel system. I wish this engine had a 5th injector in the IM from the factory to clean the valves to avoid us from doing this maintenance. Damn you Mazda!(still love you tho)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
^^ Good point about the injector location but the fuel still collects moisture and the deposits still build on the injectors. I'm not sure on the "shut down" cycle order, but I'd guess the fuel is cut followed by ignition. Each time an engine stops those combustion gases, fuel and air mixture basically settle on everything and form a thin layer of deposit. Depending on which valves are open the deposits migrate into the intake track too. Point: you stand to gain more than you loose esp w/methanol in everything in the states these days.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Since my car is past 100k miles, I getting ready getting every thing I need to clean the valves to do it when the time the weather gets warm since I dont have a garage.

I how big should I get a the compressor that will be adequate for this job and that will also be good to other work on the car? Can a 3gl 100psi do the job or do I need something bigger?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Subed too. I have 5gal 150psi pancake.
@TiGraySpeed6

I think the small ones should be fine. It just may take longer as the air volume is so small.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts