Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am pretty lucky i guess after reading some of these posts all the way back in 2004 damn this topic has been on here forever but any way i have had my mazda 6 tinted windows all around with 20% for about 6 months now and i havent had any problems just some stares from passing by cops but there just checking out my ride. I really wanted like 10% or 5% or what ever limo tint is but the law in Indiana is 30% so i just played it safe plus it still looks good.

Before

After

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I am pretty lucky i guess after reading some of these posts all the way back in 2004 damn this topic has been on here forever but any way i have had my mazda 6 tinted windows all around with 20% for about 6 months now and i havent had any problems just some stares from passing by cops but there just checking out my ride. I really wanted like 10% or 5% or what ever limo tint is but the law in Indiana is 30% so i just played it safe plus it still looks good.[/b][/b]

20% to 30% is a pretty subjective difference, you'd probably get a lot more "attention" if you had gone with the 5% or 10%.

Personally I find the 30% to be dark enough especially at night, not sure I'd want it any darker for simple safety's sake.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I guess I'd have to say I enjoy living in FL, why?

Well I have 5% all around on the front, back, and rear on my MS6 (the windshield is untinted, I even told them I didn't want the strip at the top....don't like that look, but now I'm thinking about having it tinted 50% cause of the sunlight)

However around where I live I've been sitting right next to cop cars many times with my windows up and my 5% tint blocking me from view. They never stopped me or flashed their lights or said anything to me (knock on wood)

Most cops really don't give you shit for tint around here unless you're doing something else to be driving like an asshole, for example if you're speeding and they see the tint, they like to be dicks like that and go ahead and right you up for the tint as well.

I remember my GF getting stopped with her 15% all around her Mazda6 and the cop was writing her ticket for going 15 over the limit, and he decided to write her a ticket for her tint too (she didn't take shit off and had both tickets thrown out of court).

When I look at my 5% though, and compare it to my buddy's 0%.... there's very little difference, and I always end up thinking "DAMN I should have just gone with 0%!!" lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
20% to 30% is a pretty subjective difference, you'd probably get a lot more "attention" if you had gone with the 5% or 10%.

Personally I find the 30% to be dark enough especially at night, not sure I'd want it any darker for simple safety's sake.[/b]
I still think my 20% is better looking than nothing and its on the safe side so im happy with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh btw I wanted to ask everyone since I'm sure we at least have 1 person from every state on this message board?

Is windshield tint legal in ANY state at all? even if it's like 70 or 50% ? I know it's not in FL, just wondering about the other 49 states.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hawaii State is pretty screwy with their tint laws too

F= 35
B= 35
R= 35

Unless your an SUV then it is

F= 35
B= any
R= any

But then you see cars that are blacked out all the time. WTF:

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
Koenig, it used to be legal in Utah, but that was a long time ago. I don't think it is legal anywhere currently for a full front tint, just the strip at the top and some states have laws as to the size of that.

Don't try running anything darker than 50% in Ohio. They love to pull over for tint tests especially around the Cleveland area. I got popped twice when I lived there for 35% tint. Of course I had to have it pulled the 2nd time and moved to NM about 3 months later where 35% is legal limit, but 20% is accepted mostly.

I think 20% is about the best looking. Anything darker than that just loses the classy look and becomes ghetto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
lol my friend is a PI and he has 5% all around and it is just straight class looks great and hasn't gotten a ticket yet, I live in FL and most cops round' here don't care but if you happen to find "one" he will pop your @$$

·
Registered
285 Posts
yea on my car i have 20% on the fronts and limo on the back and man it looks great especially on a black car like mine. Havent gotten pulled over yet but as long as your not driving like an ass cops leave you alone in Texas.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Here is a link to tint amounts by state.

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html[/b]
Well there's the end of that thread...I have 5% on the rear windows and 20% on the front ones. It's pretty dark, can't see out at night...but that means that no one can see in either!

·
Registered
30 Posts
here in las vegas, the authoritys say no to limo tint and tinting the winsheild completely.
but there are many people driving around with limo tint.
i have 35% all the way around including a full windsheild.

usually the police won't pull you over just for tint here, but if you are speeding they'll sometimes add on a 'tint fix-it' ticket to your speeding ticket....and anytihng else wrong with your car!

·
Registered
640 Posts
i think cops are retarded with tint laws.

CA:

F: 70% ....thought it was 35% ..oops..
B: Any
R: Any

Leaving for Utah on the 4th of july at about 4:30 in the morning.
come up to red, stop, turn right. cop is about to turn left in the left hand turn lane to our left.
(so the street we were turning on he would be going straight) ANYWAY

we stop, turn right. cop gets out of the turn lane, flicks his lights on and pulls us over.
(my girlfriend's stepdad is driving with her mom in the passenger seat with me and my girlfriend in the way back [tahoe] btw)
comes up to the passenger side says the reason he pulled us over was for the tint.
"you cannot have ANY tint on the front windows"

i laughed so loud in the back of the tahoe, he looks back and asks if something is funny.
..girlfriend smacks my leg.
i say no..
lol

where could i find the California Vehicle Code PROVING the 70% law?
(even though the tahoe had about 20%)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
QUOTE (Hostility @ Jul 14 2008, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1389760
i think cops are retarded with tint laws.

CA:

F: 70% ....thought it was 35% ..oops..
B: Any
R: Any

Leaving for Utah on the 4th of july at about 4:30 in the morning.
come up to red, stop, turn right. cop is about to turn left in the left hand turn lane to our left.
(so the street we were turning on he would be going straight) ANYWAY

we stop, turn right. cop gets out of the turn lane, flicks his lights on and pulls us over.
(my girlfriend's stepdad is driving with her mom in the passenger seat with me and my girlfriend in the way back [tahoe] btw)
comes up to the passenger side says the reason he pulled us over was for the tint.
"you cannot have ANY tint on the front windows"

i laughed so loud in the back of the tahoe, he looks back and asks if something is funny.
..girlfriend smacks my leg.
i say no..
lol

where could i find the California Vehicle Code PROVING the 70% law?
(even though the tahoe had about 20%)[/b]
Couple of things:

"Cops" do not make the laws, thank your state's legislature for that one. If you don't like their laws, write your congressman, senator, governor, etc. Don't blame the guys who end up having to enforce them or call them "retarded" for it.

If you asked the officer, I'm sure he would be glad to show you a copy of the California Motor Vehicle Code and the section pertaining to allowable window tint. If not, I'm sure it's available at your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

The reason he said you can't have any tint on the front windows is because the law is 70%, basically the level of factory tinted glass. It might have been a good idea to check that motor vehicle code before putting that 20% tint on the windows, ya think..?

·
Registered
66 Posts
In Delaware, no tint on the front windows unless you have a medical waiver from a doctor. The rear windows you can have 5%. The winshield, you can have the strip (eyebrow) across the top as long as it doesn't go below the factory tinted part.

·
Registered
640 Posts
QUOTE (DennisW @ Jul 14 2008, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1390051
Couple of things:

"Cops" do not make the laws, thank your state's legislature for that one. If you don't like their laws, write your congressman, senator, governor, etc. Don't blame the guys who end up having to enforce them or call them "retarded" for it.

If you asked the officer, I'm sure he would be glad to show you a copy of the California Motor Vehicle Code and the section pertaining to allowable window tint. If not, I'm sure it's available at your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

The reason he said you can't have any tint on the front windows is because the law is 70%, basically the level of factory tinted glass. It might have been a good idea to check that motor vehicle code before putting that 20% tint on the windows, ya think..?[/b]
lmao. :laugh: :laugh:

didnt say they made the tint law. just said they're retarded about it, enforcing it so much.
like it hurts the economy or something.

factory is %100 btw and it wasnt even my car, if you read.
but anyway, i have 15% on the fronts and waved to a cop..he waved back.
what i also meant by retarded is just some are dicks.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a pic of my car i have 15% tint on it. I bought it from the dealership with that tint they told me it was legal. i got pulled over by a cop. so my car is at the dealership getting the tint striped and re tinted 50%. I live in Minnesota the law is NO front /50% front sides/ 50% rear sides 50% back windows. The funny thing is the dealership is paying for the tint, rental car, filling my tank and a full detail.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 183 Posts