Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
MN 50% is legal... I've been ticketed 7 times, including only 1 fix it ticket... Took the tint off the front door windows, got my ticket signed, had the tint guy put it back on 15 minutes later. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (000mazda6 @ Feb 16 2008, 12:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1266053
I am pretty lucky i guess after reading some of these posts all the way back in 2004 damn this topic has been on here forever but any way i have had my mazda 6 tinted windows all around with 20% for about 6 months now and i havent had any problems just some stares from passing by cops but there just checking out my ride. I really wanted like 10% or 5% or what ever limo tint is but the law in Indiana is 30% so i just played it safe plus it still looks good.

Before

After
[/b]
uh yeh, I thhink your lucky. I went with 30% on my car and was told that tinting the windshield was completely illegal. I had 20% on my honda accord years ago when I went to IU. I got messed with 3 or 4 times and have gone with 30% on every car I have owned ever since. Congrats and I hope your luck continues!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a white w/ tan interior o5 mazda 6. I plan on putting tint on it, but w/ the laws n all, i dont know what i should put on it. & w/ the tan interior?? ..i dont know how good it would look :unsure: ..what should i do? maybe 35% in the back & 50% on the front so i dont get pulled over? idk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey peeps, I have a 2004 Mazda6 that i want to get tinted. NY laws say 70% visibilty. Its a noob question but to have the tints street legal I would have to have put on 30% tint or 70% tint?
Oh and if anyone in the NYC area knows of a good tint shop pease recommend!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just got mine done.
Limo behind driver, completely legal.

Before:
[attachment=43753:IMG_1176.JPG]
After:
[attachment=43751:IMG_1181.JPG]
[attachment=43752:IMG_1180.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well this is a slight bump, but honestly Illinois sucks. Nothing allowed on the driver and passenger, but the backs and rear window can be any tint. So basically I'm stuck at a crossroad. I want to tint my 6 which means I can get a limo tint on the backs and rears but nothing on the fronts. SO basically, how dark are 50% because I wanna know if I could get away with 50% all the way around (except the windshield)?

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (hyperlite @ Oct 18 2009, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1609724
Well this is a slight bump, but honestly Illinois sucks. Nothing allowed on the driver and passenger, but the backs and rear window can be any tint. So basically I'm stuck at a crossroad. I want to tint my 6 which means I can get a limo tint on the backs and rears but nothing on the fronts. SO basically, how dark are 50% because I wanna know if I could get away with 50% all the way around (except the windshield)?[/b]

I went with the limo on the back, you gatta have at least 20 or less on the back. YOU Wont be able to tell with 50 all around. but even better, if you tint the back Limo, and leave the front 50, the contrast might help with fooling the authorities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (mazda6ER13 @ May 13 2005, 03:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=410650
Ok i have your question answered. In Tn tint is 35% all around. This is the same in maryland. Your windshield tint band, width from top edge is AS1. Here is your history lesson. Vehicles built since the 1980's have a small white AS1 marking on the left and right edges of the windshield, which designates the top of the viewing area, and most states do not allow any aftermarket tint band at the top of the windshield to extend below this AS1 line. AS1 is the legal designation of the viewing area of a windshield, stipulated by a formula that applies equally to all vehicles. Good luck!![/b]

Also in Maryland, yellow/red/amber tints are also illegal. also it is very hard or acually impossible to find what Maryland state laws are regarding what is legal for cars. not even the state troopers or inspection stations agree what is legal. the only thing that is easy to find is tint and radar detector laws

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anybody hear about the tint laws changing for IL this year? I read online a few days ago that IL drivers can have 35% all the way around, but if you go darker it can only be on the back three. Can someone confirm this for me before I go get my front windows tinted again...

·
Registered
605 Posts
hawaii is %35 +/- 6 for cars but.........it sucks beacause i bought my car and tinted it in TX (shout out to the 210) so my tint varies around 28.7.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Illinois tint laws as of 2010:

35% front sides
35% back sides
35% back window
Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.

My 6 came with tint but I don't know what the percent is. Is there a way measure tint? I've had everybody tell me I'm going to get a ticket for the tint...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fortunate enough to have picked up a nice Fix-it ticket for front tint a couple weeks ago. Pretty good deal since I was pulled over for speeding! $80 bucks for a scrape and retint vs the alternative, JACKPOT!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Illinois tint laws as of 2010:

35% front sides
35% back sides
35% back window
Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.

My 6 came with tint but I don't know what the percent is. Is there a way measure tint? I've had everybody tell me I'm going to get a ticket for the tint...
Just wait until you get pulled over and tell them that story. They should let you off with a warning and worst case, you get the tints replaced with 35% all around. I got pulled over on the fuggin' highway just for window tints 2 years ago and I had 35% all around. Happy the law has changed, I put 35% back on the front windows early last year after I found out they changed the law.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i dont know what nys is for sure. i've read on sites that you're allowed nothing on the front windshield, 30% on front windows, 70% on back windows and 70% on rear. But my buddy recently got a brand new Forte SX that came off the dealer with back and rear limo tint. i doubt this dealer would usurp the laws, but i guess who knows. another friend works at a shop who says they've tinted up to 50% on the front windows with mixed success from customers. i don't know what i want to do when i get around to it next year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tint laws in NY are:

70% Front Sides
70% Back Sides
ANY% Rear Window

Conclusion: They suck (probably some of the worst). Tint at your own risk. I know from firsthand experience that they can (and will) write you a ticket for each window that is not in compliance with the above. Each ticket is about $80 so you do the math. Also - despite what some say on here, NYPD WILL pull you over SOLELY for tinted windows.

If you're pulled over and they don't use the tint meter? Go to the hearing and fight it. It will probably get dismissed because the cop didn't measure it and has no proof. Bring a receipt from a tint shop saying you got it removed.

Note: One fine officer told me they "don't really care about the back sides". It's only when the front sides are dark is when you are targeted for harassment. Maybe consider that.

Fun fact: NYPD won't pull you over for aggressive driving, tailgating, speeding, failing to signal and running red lights. Go nuts! Just keep those windows clear, buckle your seat belt and stay off the phone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drive with 20% on all my windows and i go to UC and have never been stopped by an ohio cop for it but the legal is 50%

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
nm on opening question below - looks like factory is 73%
http://forum.mazda6club.com/exterior-modifications/223929-stock-tint-6-a.html#post3145620

Has anyone ever tested the factory level of tint? I see it mentioned in this thread and others, but nobody states they've actually done it.

I was pulled-over yesterday. The cop made several incorrect statements, including 'no tint can be added to front windows' and 'the factory tint is already at the legal limit.

I've poured though the Iowa Motor Vehicle Code, and the only 'no' statements are that no tint may be added to the windshield, and no reflective tint may be used anywhere on the vehicle.

Otherwise, Iowa defers to Federal guidelines that VLT may be no lower than 70%. The HQ of the local PD does not have public hours on weekends, and so I ran to a state patrol post. No luck there. I'll have to try again on Monday. Hoping to find a glass shop that has a meter. I may be lower than 70, but it can't be by much. You would never call my windows 'dark'. He just happened to see me on a tree-lined street on an overcast day. In 4.5 years no cop, local or state, has ever paid attention to my tint.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Tested at 47%..... Not sure if I'm going to wing-it and play my luck. I haven't had a ticket in 23 years, and the last 3 times I was pulled-over I wasn't even given a written warning for whatever the issue was... I've had this tint for 4.5 years and it never bothered anyone in the past.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts
About this Discussion
182 Replies
130 Participants
pballer225
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing