Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remove... the engine...? Not likely. Took me about 20-30 minutes to remove the bumper, and another maybe 30 minutes to disconnect the head lights, unbolt them, and remove them for easy replacement. But remove the engine? No.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mada

I replaced the driver side low beam yesterday. I highly reccomend taking the tire off and going thru the fender-took about 25 minutes start to finish. No bleeding knuckles involved.

The hardest part was getting the front wheel back on-I was inside a dark garage and couldn't see. Now I have to get a "ball cap lamp" to keep in the trunk in case I have a flat in the dark.

I havn't tried the other methods described in this thread-but in my mind it couldn't get any easier-to each his own however.

Later

·
Registered
667 Posts
Another and equally easy option is to take off the front bumper and take out the entire headlight housing. Sounds intimidating, but it really isn't. About fifteen to twenty minutes to take off the bumper. Then another ten to get the lights out. They are easy to unplug because they are connected with a single harness.

This option allows you to not need a jack. And man is it the only way to go if you are putting in an HID kit. I was skeptical like you guys of taking off the whole bumper, but it really was easy. I believe there are links posted to sites detailing the bumper removal earlier in this thread.

Cheers

PS> Any service department that tells you you need to REMOVE THE ENGINE in order to service headlights should not be allowed within 1000 feet of your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Haaaaaaaaarg! What is that?"

This is I said when I wanted to change my headlight bulb this weekend! But, I find 2 wonderful tools on the net, yes they are very expensive, but work very well!!! :0) For the link.... go to your hardware store, they have it!

Here the photos of them

I use a little steel bar, about 1/2" wide, 1/8" thik and 10" long. On a corner I slit it and open it with a metal chisel to make a little "V" to grab the spring. To take off the bulb and put the new one in place I use an electrical cable #10 and put a terminal at one end.

Before taking off the bulb, disconect the wire, put your new tool (the wire with the terminal), remove the spring with the steel bar, take off the bulb and disconect it from our tool. Reconnect you wire-terminal to the new bulb, put it back in the headlight and keep it at it's place and push the spring with the steel bar. That's it!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been browsing these forums for a number of years, first time poster. Thought I'd give some feedback about replacing the low beam H1 bulb.

Speaking as a novice, you definitely do not need to take it to a registered service centre, you just need to be a little adventurous.

I have a 2006 Mazda6 Classic sedan (Australian). I followed the instructions from the manual and removed the screws from the plastic guard at the front wheel. Once done, the guard will loosen allowing enough room to reach the low beam cap relatively easily (I have small hands). You can then unlock the cap, then unhook the catch and replace the bulb.

I didn't need to raise the car up with a jack but I did park on a slight incline. The only tools I used were:
*a wrench to loosen bolts;
*a philips head drill bit;
*a flashlight;
*a flat head screwdriver to separate the plastic in difficult bits.

All up took about 30 minutes but will be less the next time I do it as I know what to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. My driver side low-beam just went out on my 06 6s. I did a quick scan yesterday to see if I could change it out and boy it looks tough. I think the best way is to remove the tire shield and go at it from there. Only problem is , I also stripped/broke two of those cheap plastic "screws" that held the tired shield to the frame. Are those easy to find?

But thanks to all the posters who put their procedure on here. I'm going to try this out when I get some time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 2006 Mazda 6 and I finally figured out how to replace a headlight bulb myself...owner's manual tells you to take it to the dealer...i didn't believe it the 1st time i tried to do it...after an hour of trying, i gave up and went to a dealer, who only charged me $12...NOT THIS TIME...anyway to replace the bulb on left side i turned the wheel to the right, unscrewed 5 or 6 plastic screws to release wheel well cover then reached up, turned the plastic cap to the left to expose metal snap pin (push forward then left) and bulb..disconnect wire off back of bulb, and bulb comes right out...put new bulb in, connect wire, push metal pin forward and right, TURN LIGHTS ON to see if it works...then put cap on and put wheel well cover back on with screws...takes about 10 mins and saves a trip to the dealer, time off work to do that and labor cost...

·
Registered
349 Posts
for HID yes take off the bumper, front grill, bottom splash shield, roll back both wheel wells, and lastly the headlight assemblies. For a generic bulb... on my 03 on the drivers side I pulled off the dust cap, unplugged the power connector from the H1, and lastly unclipped the retaining clips. the passenger side a little bit more involved because I took off the coolant reservior and then the same procedure as with the drivers side H1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replacing head lights :)

This post "the original one" at the bottom... was spot on! I was able to replace the bulbs very quickly. I only needed to remove the fuse cover, no need to remove other componnets. The one thing I'd point out is that the "symetry" of the clips used to hold the bulds are not a "mirror", rather they are the same.. so the bulbs flat point towards the center of the engine compartment replacing the passenger bulb and to the fender of the diver bulb. :) Thanks again!!

Can someone walk me through removing replacing the headlight bulbs. I don't wanna do it by trial and error and break something. can someone show me the way to do this. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i wonder how many people decided to through the wheel well... Drivers side is a bit harder than the passenger side, but still jacking up the car, taking off the wheels, trying not to brake the plastic pieces on the splash shield, and then finally prying the splash shield away enough to get at the bulbs seems like way too much work. Thats just me lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just finished putting some 8000K HID lights in my 07 2.3L and i found the best way was to take the whole bumper off and remove the lights them selfs. it took me by myself about 10 minutes to take the bumper off and then 5 to take the lights out. it sounds intimidating but it really wasn't. i've had the bumper off 4 times now all for light upgrades and it really wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
349 Posts
with HID lights that is really the best and possibly the only way to install them is to take the bumper off and assemblies out... otherwise i think it would be a PITA.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just changed headlights (low beams) for the first time (original owner of 05 Mazda 6s). it is very easy to do, and i did it from above. for the passenger side, i did remove the resevoir (coolant?). As someone already said, 3 10mm screws, wiggle the resevoir out, and put it on top of the engine. that gives you more room to undo the cap, pop the clip, and replace the bulb. I was able to do the driver side without removing anything. It was a tighter fit, but still able to change out the bulb with no issues. Took 10 minutes. I called the dealership, to see how much it would be, and he quoted me $45 per light (parts and labor). I laughed and figured I could do it myself. Trust me, it is very easy (again, i have a V6 2005 model; may not be as easy on other versions).

·
Registered
1 Posts
figured this was related so i'm posting here... how the heck do you adjust the low-beam headlights? there are two adjusters and one is easy to get to but the other is way up under the fender and impossible to get a socket or anything up in there.

suggestions?

2008 Mazda 6

·
Registered
1 Posts
just changed headlights (low beams) for the first time (original owner of 05 Mazda 6s). it is very easy to do, and i did it from above. for the passenger side, i did remove the resevoir (coolant?). As someone already said, 3 10mm screws, wiggle the resevoir out, and put it on top of the engine. that gives you more room to undo the cap, pop the clip, and replace the bulb. I was able to do the driver side without removing anything. It was a tighter fit, but still able to change out the bulb with no issues. Took 10 minutes. I called the dealership, to see how much it would be, and he quoted me $45 per light (parts and labor). I laughed and figured I could do it myself. Trust me, it is very easy (again, i have a V6 2005 model; may not be as easy on other versions).
Brand new here folks but found this. Thought it might be useful. About to try this method out. Would like to be able to do it without removing the bumper.

BTW, the low beam lenses look "fogged"........are they supposed to be that way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
THanks Vagrant10 for the instructions and the pics. Replaced the passenger side low beam and the instructions really helped. Not looking forward to the the driver's side. Looks quite a bit tighter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having some trouble replacing the passenger side high beam and parking lights on my '05 Mazda 6 (RHD). I can replace the low beams easily enough however the air filter blocks the high beam assembly and I can't access it. How do I take the air filter off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the help. I too was really intimidated to do this on my 2004 Mazda 6 after seeing how little room was behind the lights and then reading that the only way to do this was by removing the bumper. got a quote from the dealer for $43.00 per light! got a quote from jiffy lube for $23.00 per light. saw the bulbs for $6 apiece at Walmart, so I decided to give it a go from the top.

it was a lot easier than I thought. the only thing that was a problem was the plastic housings covering the connectors pretty much crumbled when I tried to disconnect the connector from the bulb, so the connection is pretty much bare. but since it's enclosed, I hope it won't be a problem.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts