Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's been a few years but where is zzzzoom6 instructions on how to replace the headlight bulb? I have a 2004 6s and need to replace the low beam headlights. Can not find zzzzoom6 instructions you mentioned.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know it's been a few years but where is zzzzoom6 instructions on how to replace the headlight bulb? I have a 2004 6s and need to replace the low beam headlights. Can not find zzzzoom6 instructions you mentioned.
I'm in the same boat as you man. I can't find zzzzoom6's post that everyone refers too... Did a search for the username and it says it doesn't exist. Anyone know where to find it? Or a similar post? I already read the one one changing the parking lights, but i have a feeling the low beams are gonna be the real problem to get to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its fairly straight forward if you have flexible hands, the cover over the lowbeam turns counter clockwise you can access it from the top or just pull the plastic wheel well to the side and put your hand in there. There is a single wire going to the bulb remove this first (I'll be easier than removing when the bulb is loose) and then remove the small metal clip over the bulb.

Follow in reverse to reinstall.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its fairly straight forward if you have flexible hands, the cover over the lowbeam turns counter clockwise you can access it from the top or just pull the plastic wheel well to the side and put your hand in there. There is a single wire going to the bulb remove this first (I'll be easier than removing when the bulb is loose) and then remove the small metal clip over the bulb.

Follow in reverse to reinstall.
I have a V6 sport wagon and looking at it, the drivers side is do able for sure, especially if i remove the air cleaner. But the passenger's side is gonna be impossible, with the coolant reservoir and some steel vacuum hosing in the way, not to mention all the covered electrical cabling...

Would taking off the bumper and taking out the headlight assembly be easier? Would it mess up the headlight alignment?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I would throw in my thank you as well....after taking my 2006 Mazda 6i in for headlight replacement once before I googled how to change them and came to this forum.....thanks for saving me $35-50 this time.....worked great with the description and photo and the new headlights are working perfectly!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. Although the mirrored look of the clip threw me off a bit, it didn't take me long to figure out what you were talking about. Now I just have to figure out how to replace my parking lights (or find it on here, rather)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I've looked at this thread and unfortunately the pictures displayed have since been deleted or removed. (UPDATE: apparently now that I'm a member they show up. Didn't when I was just browsing)

My girlfriend has a 2008 Mazda 6 which has the low beam on the driver side that went out. Autozone said that light bulb would cost like $120. :huh:

By looking at the light, it looks a lot like a Xenon light like I have on my car. Were Xenon HID lights standard from the Mazda 6 2008 models :confused:

I would like to find some replacement lights and some help on replacing this for her as $120 is not in her budget right now. All the posts I've seen on here seem to refer to Mazda 6s that are pre 2008 without Xenon lights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally figured out that on that 2008 Mazda, the low beams were H1 type (D2S if it were xenon lights) and managed to replace them very easily. The bulbs cost about $20 for both.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just ordered an HID kit from UltimateHID for the low beams and was curious if I need to make any modifications to the headlight for the balast? Is there enough room in the headlight housing for the balast? (UltimateHID's are pretty slim, smaller than a motorola razr phone)...

Or if if there is too much heat put off by the balast, should i mount it outside?

Any tips would be great!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just drill a hole in the back of the housing cover. if those are anything like DDM hids thats what has to be done. theres a how to somewhere on here

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just a quick question. Will it hurt to install 100 watt hid bulbs in an 08 6? I know most stock bulbs are 55 watts.
Usually with higher wattage = more heat, which leads to a shorter life of the bulb. Also, you'll want to check with the manufacturer if they recommend a wiring harness to the battery to supply the balast with the extra juice. I know that with the kit i just ordered, they suggested the harness even for the 55 w kit.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
164 Posts
Holy cow..... that was a PITA. My hands were too big so i just went ahead and took off the whole bumper and took out the headlights to install the new D2S 6k bulbs i got from DDM. I also put in my 3K HID fogs also!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I installed HIDs and am now going back to the normal bulbs but I don't think I have the connector that is shown in the picture: where the orange wire goes into the black plastic piece and clips onto the back of the bulb?

Do I need this? Or can I just attached the wire directly onto the bulb?

Anyone have any recommendations on how I should or could do this?
Thanks!

since mazda6tech has been down over the last week, i thought i'd take a few pics while installing my new low beams (H1 bulbs).

let me start by saying disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

the low beams are on the side of the headlight assembly closest to the side of the car. they are located behind a black plastic cover that is labeled with arrows and says top and open and close. twist it and set the cover to the side. make sure that the gasket is in place.

the third pic is what you'll see with the cover removed - the back of the bulb with a wire still attached. before unhooking the clip, i found it easier to disconnect the wire. just pull on it and it will come loose. it does not take much pressure at all.

the hardest part for me was figuring out the clip. couldn't see how it worked since the space was so tight. finally got a mirror and was able to see how to get the clip out (see the first picture). you'll notice at the bottom of the pic is a wire that has been bent like a square. push in on it (it takes a fair amount of pressure) and move it to the left. you'll feel a click and the clip should be released. the clip is on a hinge, so lift up from the bottom of the clip and rotate it up.

the second pic is the coolant container thing that needs to be unbolted if you want more room to access the passenger headlight. really easy; just 3 bolts (10 mm) and lift it out of the way. the hoses are very flexible so it's easy to put it aside. you will find some wires that impede moving things easily (the round cover for example can easily get caught up on these wires) but with some patience and effort to move the wires the little that they allow will get you the space you'll need. on the driver side, i found taking the cover off of the fuse box and taking off the cover of the air filter helped give me a bit more space.

once the clip is undone and you've lifted the clip up, the bulb will pull straight out (horizontally) toward the back of the car. you'll notice in the first picture that the bulb has a plate on it that is circular in shape except for one side that has flat edge to it. remember where that flat edge is; your replacement bulb will need to go in the same way.

really, changing these bulbs is pretty easy. it's just that you don't have a lot of space to get your hands into, but once you see what you have to do, it's not hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone assist me with my 2006 mazda 6. I looked through the post but I can not get to the back of the headlight on the driver side. Is there a simple way to do this. The garage told me they had to remove the engine and it would be about $500 just to change the bulbs.:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 as well, from what I read here you can remove the plastic fender liner to get to the bulb. I'm gonna do that tomorrow. I'll post an update.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts