Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corksport Rear Sway Bar

What is it?
Corksport is a fan favorite company offering a variety of products for Mazdas. Among them, is their rear sway bar. A rear sway bar is designed to reduce understeer in front wheel drive vehicles, and control body roll in corners in that half of the vehicle. Competitors include AutoExe, JBR, Ultra Racing, and more.

What's nice?
I have a glowing review for this item. Everything's nice. Fitment, finish, adjustability, quality of build, ease of install. I love this. If there was ever a product to buy for your 6, this is one of them. It came nicely packaged, with an excellent finish. Instructions and invoice included. It comes in a gorgeous Corksport-blue color, with a stamped logo and two points of adjustment. These allow you to get stiff, and then get fackin' stiff. I run it fackin' stiff, and it's excellent. The adjustment collars allow you to center the bar very easily to maintain that OEM fitment. In addition, the bar comes with the proper brackets such that you don't tear out your old ones running a thicker bar. Competitors such as JBR charge extra for the brackets. I am not sure if AutoExe provides brackets.

What's not nice?
One gripe about these is that some users report collision with other parts underneath upon install. I haven't experienced any of this personally, but keep an eye out when installing. That's all I have. This sway bar is excellent. Technically, ride quality suffers only during bumps. If you hit a bump with your driver side rear wheel, the stiffer bar will transmit that across the suspension to the other side, causing the whole car to feel it. This however, is negligible.

Ease of install:
Instructions are included in paper and online. It requires slightly dropping the subframe and shoehorning the bar out and in. Once it's in though, it's in. Easy life. Adjusting the collars is easy, and there's plenty of room to adjust the alignment collars even if the bar is installed.

Overall, I love this thing. I'm glad I bought it as early as I did, and I can't wait to get a matching front bar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Zeffer and others,

I was one of those that had the older RSB with some interference, see below. You can see it has a small scratch.
Told Corksport, they were extremely responsive and are in the process of refunding me now, and they said they are redesigning the bar to fix this.

I brought the bar to a machine shop and cut off the "softer" setting hole so there's no more interference.

Overall the daily driving experience has been very good, the car leans significantly less and turn in is very quick. Now after going on some spirited drives, I find that I can easily get traction control to light up and have more front grip than rear grip in this stiffer setting. Is this what you guys have found too? If so I'll wait till Corksport resolves this, and purchase another bar that has the less-stiff setting on. My car is a 2014 Mazda 6 GT.

Let me know if you guys have any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
721 Posts
I was thinking of purchasing this, but now I’m concerned it’ll cause damages underneath the car...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check with Corksport if they've changed the bar to fix the issue.

Zeffer you saw no issues right?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
721 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been awhile since this thread has been updated but just wanted to pop in and say that it's mid-2020 and Corksport still hasn't fixed the quality control issues with this part.

Just had the rear sway bar installed at a mechanic last weekend and immediately upon test drive we noticed loud rubbing/squeaking noises. Under the car we saw metal-to-metal scratching from both ends of the bar. One end was way worse so they tried cutting just a bit of one end off, and as shown in pics below this didn't solve the clearance problem. You can see plenty of metal shavings on the right side. On the left, you can see blue paint transfer.

So as "meishungry" mentioned earlier, I just told them to cut the soft endlink attachment point clean off. They also found the bushing stops (those collars on the inner side of the bushings) were not in the correct positions, allowing the entire sway bar to shift left to right ~1cm. Luckily they're adjustable, but there's no mention of adjusting them in Corksport's instructions so one would assume they should be properly positioned from the factory.

I'm just bummed b/c I read this thread and thought "cool, it's been over a year they prob fixed it." Looks like you still gotta be a little careful with this one folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for this important if disappointing update. I ordered one of these in late June and was told they were backordered at the time and I shouldn't expect it until August. Apparently, they get them made in batches of 20-40 and have been selling a bunch since the economic situation has people upgrading their current cars versus replacing them.

Think there's any point in calling Corksport and saying "Hey, make sure mine is correct?"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah it can't hurt to ask, but they'll likely just say that the issue has been corrected. I got mine in February 2020.

Probably only a small fraction of these will be defective. If you're installing it yourself I would just have a plan B ready in case you do see issues. If you're taking it to a mechanic, I would be upfront with them about the possibility that they may need to alter the part.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got a call from Corksport yesterday that my rear sway bar is in stock. Got brave and had a candid conversation with them about the fitment issues reported here.

I was pleased to get solid, seemingly honest information:
1. The rear sway bar is a real pain to install, even with a lift, good skills, and pro tools. (I'm now seriously considering paying a pro to do it since I have no lift, rusty skills, and hobbyist tools.)

2. Yes, they did have a QA problem with a batch or two of sway bars made in the past. The dimensions were off 'as much as an inch, which is a lot for this fitment.' They reviewed everything with their supplier. More importantly, they know QA each individual bar as it arrives, not just one or two from the batch.

I'm optimistic and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know Corksport and not defending them. This is my first purchase.

They have to do some development, since it's way too expensive to hire outside firms to figure out how to shape a sway bar, etc.

Many small companies contract out all their manufacturing. While it costs more, they get to rent access to big, sophisticated machines and processes, instead of having to invest millions they don't have in manufacturing facilities.

I've worked for and shopped at many companies that meet this definition. Some were great companies, some sucked, but the outsourced manufacturing isn't relevant.

I very much hope Corksport has done a good job designing this bar and addressed all of the quality issues. Very much.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I dont mean just on this. I see it on everything they touch. They act like they develop stuff in house, but then its really apparent they are a reseller, but people drink the kool-aid despite this. Like a turbo kit thats been in development for 4+ years and only hit track testing this year? C'mon... stop lying to us lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,514 Posts
I dont mean just on this. I see it on everything they touch. They act like they develop stuff in house, but then its really apparent they are a reseller, but people drink the kool-aid despite this. Like a turbo kit thats been in development for 4+ years and only hit track testing this year? C'mon... stop lying to us lol.
Pent up aggression much? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got a call from Corksport yesterday that my rear sway bar is in stock. Got brave and had a candid conversation with them about the fitment issues reported here.

I was pleased to get solid, seemingly honest information:
1. The rear sway bar is a real pain to install, even with a lift, good skills, and pro tools. (I'm now seriously considering paying a pro to do it since I have no lift, rusty skills, and hobbyist tools.)

2. Yes, they did have a QA problem with a batch or two of sway bars made in the past. The dimensions were off 'as much as an inch, which is a lot for this fitment.' They reviewed everything with their supplier. More importantly, they know QA each individual bar as it arrives, not just one or two from the batch.

I'm optimistic and I'll let you know what happens.
Good to hear you got an upfront response. I initially tried installing myself since I was doing the lowering springs at the same time, and it was seriously bad. Granted, this was the first time I've ever done any kind of serious car work. Tried for about two hours to get to one of the bracket bolts but there is very little space to maneuver tools in there. (The answer, as I learned watching the mechanics, was a flex-head ratchet). I called it quits so I could finish doing the springs.

Just to give you an idea, I was usually quoted $200-400 labor. I eventually found a small shop that quoted me $100 (1 hour). And they would have finished in that time, were it not for the metal cutting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good question. I had a pro shop install it (2.5 hours of labor) and then drove it 1,100 miles on a vacation trip, including lots of interstate and a whole bunch of really terrific smooth, swoopy, curvy, up and down roads.

It's quite difficult to make a good before/after comparison. This was Grand Touring driving, not racing around the neighborhood, and all on roads I barely know or have never before traveled. That said, the car felt very, very good. Nicely planted and stable. They said they put it on full stiff but I haven't checked.

The shop warned me, and I noticed, there is a certain 'chirping' which I presume is something rubbing on something. From my limited observation, it is more noticeable when the car is empty (versus fully loaded with vacation gear). This may be more suspension movement or less sound damping since not full.

The chirping definitely seems to occur more during vertical movement (like over a speed bump or dip) compared to cornering movement. So, it's most likely the swaybar rubbing somewhere, pretty lightly, in pitch. It does not seem to happen in roll.

I plan to jack the car up and take a look and will post picture when I do. Yes, it's disappointing, and it could be much worse. I did not get good feedback on how hard it was to install. Hope this helps, and questions welcomed...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good question. I had a pro shop install it (2.5 hours of labor) and then drove it 1,100 miles on a vacation trip, including lots of interstate and a whole bunch of really terrific smooth, swoopy, curvy, up and down roads.

It's quite difficult to make a good before/after comparison. This was Grand Touring driving, not racing around the neighborhood, and all on roads I barely know or have never before traveled. That said, the car felt very, very good. Nicely planted and stable. They said they put it on full stiff but I haven't checked.

The shop warned me, and I noticed, there is a certain 'chirping' which I presume is something rubbing on something. From my limited observation, it is more noticeable when the car is empty (versus fully loaded with vacation gear). This may be more suspension movement or less sound damping since not full.

The chirping definitely seems to occur more during vertical movement (like over a speed bump or dip) compared to cornering movement. So, it's most likely the swaybar rubbing somewhere, pretty lightly, in pitch. It does not seem to happen in roll.

I plan to jack the car up and take a look and will post picture when I do. Yes, it's disappointing, and it could be much worse. I did not get good feedback on how hard it was to install. Hope this helps, and questions welcomed...
Thanks for your input. Im especially worried because of my ride height (about 2 inches lower than stock). I might just do the rear motor mount instead

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, yeah. That would be a major concern. I might be able to get some pics or video of my installation, but honestly won't be able to for a couple of weeks.

I don't think there's much comparison for the handling effects of a rear sway bar versus rear motor mount, but I understand your dilemma. Can you contact the various RSB manufacturers and ask about a lowered car?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts