Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corksport Front Strut Tower Bar

What is it?
Corksport is one of many companies (AutoExe, Beatrush, Ultra Racing, etc) offering a front strut tower bar for our cars. In a MacPherson suspension design, when turning, the body flexes. The tops of the strut tower flex while turning, inducing body roll and resisting the turn. On MacPherson, a FSTB helps prevent this.

What's nice?
The product comes in typical Corksport blue, and silver. It fits nice without being forced on like some other bars. The baseplates aren't very large on the strut towers. There is enough room underneath the bases to adjust coilover damping, if equipped. The bar itself is flat enough to fit a 40in LED strip (ask me how I know :wink2:). There's a nice Corksport badge off center, near the battery, on the bar.

What's not nice?
It's not very effective without being paired with other chassis or suspension bracing pieces. It's good in its own right, and on hard turns one will notice. But if you have $170 to blow, save it for a front sway bar.

Ease of install:
It's three bolts off each strut tower, car on the ground. Fit baseplates, fit bar. Loosely tighten. Make sure it's all locked in, then torque to specs. Would take maybe fifteen to thirty minutes to complete.

Overall, I recommend this product. I like it. It has a nice fit and finish, and a noticeable effect on the car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice review. And your engine compartment looks great.

I always thought the strut towers flexed in towards vehicle centerline and each other during cornering?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, you don't have to move the struts whatsoever, just unbolt and bolt on?
Yup. Corksport includes instructions too, but it's the same for every car.

Put car on level ground.
Unbolt top strut nuts.
Place strut bar plates on bolts.
Place bar in braces.
Loosely thread everything in.
Tighten evenly.
Torque to spec.
Test drive.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Corksport Front Strut Tower Bar

What is it?
Corksport is one of many companies (AutoExe, Beatrush, Ultra Racing, etc) offering a front strut tower bar for our cars. In a MacPherson suspension design, when turning, the body flexes. The tops of the strut tower flex while turning, inducing body roll and resisting the turn. On MacPherson, a FSTB helps prevent this.

What's nice?
The product comes in typical Corksport blue, and silver. It fits nice without being forced on like some other bars. The baseplates aren't very large on the strut towers. There is enough room underneath the bases to adjust coilover damping, if equipped. The bar itself is flat enough to fit a 40in LED strip (ask me how I know :wink2:). There's a nice Corksport badge off center, near the battery, on the bar.

What's not nice?
It's not very effective without being paired with other chassis or suspension bracing pieces. It's good in its own right, and on hard turns one will notice. But if you have $170 to blow, save it for a front sway bar.

Ease of install:
It's three bolts off each strut tower, car on the ground. Fit baseplates, fit bar. Loosely tighten. Make sure it's all locked in, then torque to specs. Would take maybe fifteen to thirty minutes to complete.

Overall, I recommend this product. I like it. It has a nice fit and finish, and a noticeable effect on the car.
I've heard bad things about getting a front sway bar on a FWD car. Is it better to get both front and rear, or just rear?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts