Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Congrats ! Those are killer fog lights, are those the "Angel eyes' and where did you get them?
Thank you!

The fog lights are the OEM Mazda lights. The LED housing around them is from iJDMToy. They offer a variety of others as well.

Also, "angel eyes" are halo lights, not what I have. Halo lights are lit up circles around circular projectors and reflectors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I have had my deep mica blue for almost four months now. I feel like I can't even look at it without scratching it. How the frak do you deal? I park in the farthest reaches of any parking lot. I love the color.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
So I have had my deep mica blue for almost four months now. I feel like I can't even look at it without scratching it. How the frak do you deal? I park in the farthest reaches of any parking lot. I love the color.
I cry a lot.

Kidding. It's a pain. I have currently 12 different paintless rock chips, a couple scratches, and some aberrations from the monkey that works with my vinyl guy. I'll polish it all out soon enough, and fill the chips in. It feels like such a thin paint man. I park far away everywhere too. Just part of the life. Maybe one day I'll make sure all the paint chips are fixed, then wrap the thing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I cry a lot.

Kidding. It's a pain. I have currently 12 different paintless rock chips, a couple scratches, and some aberrations from the monkey that works with my vinyl guy. I'll polish it all out soon enough, and fill the chips in. It feels like such a thin paint man. I park far away everywhere too. Just part of the life. Maybe one day I'll make sure all the paint chips are fixed, then wrap the thing.
I try and view it as just another lesson in powerlessness and the impermanence of things...but, it still pisses me off!

Up here, all manner to stuff is hurled against your car...clouds of giant bugs, dust, sand, salt, road gravel, debris, rocks, you name it. About the only thing we have in moderation is door dings - and those can happen too, unfortunately.

I try and keep her clean. I wax twice a year with whatever polymer wax is handy (lately I've been using Nu-Finish...yeah, the orange bottle stuff. I'm gonna try Turtle Wax Ice next.) I touch up chips as soon as I can.

Unfortunately, nothing can keep my car safe. Its just never gonna look more perfect than when it was brand new. The sooner I can wrap my head around that, the easier it is for me to accept the inevitable.
:frown2:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I try and view it as just another lesson in powerlessness and the impermanence of things...but, it still pisses me off!

Up here, all manner to stuff is hurled against your car...clouds of giant bugs, dust, sand, salt, road gravel, debris, rocks, you name it. About the only thing we have in moderation is door dings - and those can happen too, unfortunately.

I try and keep her clean. I wax twice a year with whatever polymer wax is handy (lately I've been using Nu-Finish...yeah, the orange bottle stuff. I'm gonna try Turtle Wax Ice next.) I touch up chips as soon as I can.

Unfortunately, nothing can keep my car safe. Its just never gonna look more perfect than when it was brand new. The sooner I can wrap my head around that, the easier it is for me to accept the inevitable.
:frown2:
Unfortunately that's the only way to view it. Chips and damage are inevitable with any daily driven car. Once I fill some of mine in I'll feel a lot better, but it's such a process. Maybe next year I'll wrap the car in something nice.

I try to wax mine 2-4 times a year. I'm due for another one (and a polish).

Yeah, I feel that. Every time I open this thread I look at the pictures I took when I first brought it home. Not only is it very different, but it's not as flawless as it once was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, your pictures make your car look flawless. I am personally to blame for one scratch, but there are 3 others that just appeared out of nowhere. One on the roof, and one on the hood, how those happened.... 3 of them are all but invisible now, used Meguiar's Scratch X2.0, and Meguiar's swirl remover. Picked up a tin of their Ultimate paste wax, at $25 it's the most expensive wax I have ever bought.

I did get fog lights, now I can upgrade to your system. I had to perform surgery on the turn signal stalk. The plastic that turns off the turn signal in the new stalk was about a 1/8" too short, so I did a transplant from the original stalk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Yeah, work laptop is what I thought.

Thank you JC! Some GT500 won a trophy, with literally nothing done to it except for accessories. Bone stock Mustang GT500, but with a ton of shelby stuff slapped on and a "toy car." Ugh.

Bluewolf, the fog lights look good! Toss some Philips Xtreme Vision H11s in there and you'll be set, or even H9s if you're handy with a dremel. System looks good. As for scratches, I'm yet to attempt to fix them. I need to set aside an entire weekend to do it, as the process I have requires a 24h waiting period or something. I'd have to check it out again. Our paint is definitely thin. Normal wear and tear on mine, but that stuff only shows up to a close eye.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thank you vonbimmerman! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

In other news, received "Best in Show - Sound" at a local show Saturday. Makes it trophy #4 !

On Sunday, I went to our local 1/8 mile track with some friends. Got some good runs in! Whether it's by an inch or a mile (or a DQ), winning's winning!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, your 60' times are virtually identical! Any wheel hop?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe your stiff springs and shocks did the trick!

From a post I had on DriveAccord back in 3/5/2007

2004 EX-L manual 15.892 @ 86.30Mph in the ¼ mile

A beautiful day here in Houston and while my 1971 Plymouth Duster is STILL under construction, I decided to take my 2004 2.4L 5-speed manual Accord to the track and see if I could coax a 15.80 something out of it. The weather was outstanding with temperatures hovering around 59 degrees, relative humidity of 15% and air pressure of 30.40ish. Sunny skies and a light north head wind. This means the air density was running on average of about 600’ below sea level, perfect for drag racing!

I was able to make a total of six passes before I met my goal of a 15.892ET. I stopped their as the real issue with trying to drive a manual front-wheel drive street car at the track is in the launch, it’s almost impossible! You have one of three possibilities:

1) Wheel hop – Occurs when leaving to ‘hard’ (Too much Rpm slipping or dumping the clutch) on a ‘sticky’ prepared track with a ‘soft’ street suspension. The tires will NOT spin like they do on a public road because the drag strip starting line is like glue. If you try to spin the tires, you WILL wheel hop unless you stiffen the front suspension to eliminate the up and down play in the suspension. Wheel hop will destroy your 60’ time since the momentum of the car is being transferred up and down instead of forward.

2) Soft launch – This occurs when you leave with too little Rpm and the weight of the car pulls the motor down similar to a bog. No wheel-hop here, but also not real acceleration either with slow 60’ times.

3) Perfect launch – This occurs between the Wheel hop and the soft launch! What seemed to work best was slipping the clutch at 3000Rpm just below the point of wheel hop. This launch resulted in two passes with 60’ times of 2.317 and 2.323. I think this car would be much easier to launch on a public street allowing some wheel spin without having to worry about wheel hop.

Due to the launch issues noted above, my ET was all over the place. I’ve noted the runs below from worst to best.

Pass 60’ ¼ Mph Comments
#1 2.48 16.289 86.05 3350Lbs - dump clutch @ 2500Rpm – wheel hop
#2 2.696 16.530 85.18 3350Lbs - slip clutch @ 2500Rpm – soft launch
#3 2.761 16.806 83.99 3350Lbs - slip clutch @ 2000Rpm – soft launch
#4 2.317 16.010 85.29 3345Lbs - slip clutch @ 3000Rpm – almost perfect launch
#5 2.918 16.848 85.95 3350Lbs - slip clutch (Too hard) @ 3000Rpm - wheel hop
#6 2.323 15.892 86.30 3345Lbs - slip clutch @ 3000Rpm – almost perfect launch

Comments: The weight noted is race weight with me in the car and about 7 gallons of 87 octane pump gas. So this equates to a dry weight of about 3100Lbs for a 2004 EX-L manual. I fueled up when I arrived home and still pulled down a 31.93Mpg average on this tank. Since Car & Driver pulled down a 16.1 for this car back in the fall of 2003, I’m pleased with my results.

I purchased a 2006 EX-L 5-speed automatic for my wife last summer. It’s a very nice drive-train, but I think the drive-train in a 2.4L 5-speed manual Accord is as close to perfect for the fuel mileage and performance as is manufactured in a family sedan. As a daily commuter and I drive in some heavy traffic, I love this car.

Reactions: Zeffer
121 - 140 of 270 Posts