Mazda 6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Maybe its a preference. I happen to like the flooded overexposed type look compared to a narrow directed beam as in HID projectors.
The other part of the problem is nobody else likes the flooded overexposed type look. Headlights are supposed to be even, sweeping beams across the road. Enough far forward, and enough on the sides. HID projectors are actually quite wide, wider than halogen. But an HID bulb in a halogen projector will not give you optimal output, is illegal, and will likely blind other drivers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Easily. They just came out with a racing vision style, or something. It's not available in an H11 size though. These and the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs are top tier halogen replacements, from the research I've done. Very pleased. If I ever get around to a projector retrofit though, that'll be the bee's knees!
The Osram Night Breakers I've tried were ok, but I can't tell much difference between them and their cousins the Silverstar Ultras...other than the Ultras have a gold colored tip. My eyes don't see any real difference between Night Brakers, SS Ultras, and plain old cheaper Silverstars.

I'm one of the odd balls for whom good halogen bulbs in decent headlight units work just fine. I like the symplicity of a commonly available bulb that I can replace by the side of the road if need be.
:smile2:

Reactions: Zeffer

·
Registered
151 Posts
As requested... I didn't get any shots at night showing beam pattern or cut off. I don't see all the glare and blinding. I'm staring into the headlight housing in this photo and you can clearly make out the entire projector lens and headlight cover (i.e. no glare lol)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
As requested... I didn't get any shots at night showing beam pattern or cut off. I don't see all the glare and blinding. I'm staring into the headlight housing in this photo and you can clearly make out the entire projector lens and headlight cover (i.e. no glare lol)
No headlight glares in the daytime. It gets washed out by the sun. You'll see what I mean up against a wall. If you go lower, you're staring right in the headlight, yes. 'Glare' is defined as light above your cutoff. Since your photo is above the cutoff (in the daytime), you won't see glare.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No headlight glares in the daytime. It gets washed out by the sun. You'll see what I mean up against a wall. If you go lower, you're staring right in the headlight, yes. 'Glare' is defined as light above your cutoff. Since your photo is above the cutoff (in the daytime), you won't see glare.

Ill take more photos when light drops.

Nice pics from the meet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Car looks great, Zef. Too bad about the rain at C&C, but I notice everyone is in shorts. Nice.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Thanks jcme0557. It's really coming along! I'd like to get some more done soon, just gotta plan it out. Rockville 2017 tickets are on sale, and those are more important! Treating the gf right with the VIP tickets, aka I could get a front sway bar, paddle shifters, and catch can instead, and probably some room for vinyl work.

In other news, I took off the front driver's door panel (removal instructions here, disassembly instructions here). I finally fixed the creaking I've been living with for 16,000 miles. I popped the corner triangle near the hinge off first. It pulls straight out. Then I popped off the cover in the door handle. This was tricky. I opened the door handle, slipped a plastic pry tool in the corner towards the hinge and it came right off. Don't struggle in the open spot, you might break it. Next, I pulled off the rubber in the door handle below the window switches. Unscrewed both screws, and set them aside. Started from the left with a pry tool, popping off the different fasteners. Eventually, they all came off with ease. Lastly, I disconnected the door handle from the door by popping a small tab, and sliding the whole unit out. Panel came off easy.

To fix the creaking, I used dynamat and foam. On turns and bumps and bass it would creak in the corner of the door panel, near the back against the window. I put some dynamat around the area, and then used double sided tape with some packing foam that I had. It seems to have fixed the issue. Additionally, I slipped foam between the cracks of the plastic and vinyl/leather on the door. They would squeak sometimes. Lots of foam fixed that, and with it installed, I tucked it away out of sight. Feels a lot better now. The more I drive, the more I might have to do some of the other doors and plastics.

Next up is likely some sticker work. I have ideas in mind, just not sure where I'd like to put them. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Osram Night Breakers I've tried were ok, but I can't tell much difference between them and their cousins the Silverstar Ultras...other than the Ultras have a gold colored tip. My eyes don't see any real difference between Night Brakers, SS Ultras, and plain old cheaper Silverstars.

I'm one of the odd balls for whom good halogen bulbs in decent headlight units work just fine. I like the symplicity of a commonly available bulb that I can replace by the side of the road if need be.
:smile2:
I'm happy with the modified H9s in my low beams and yellow H9s in my fogs, they are cheap and available. I also covered my glass fogs in yellow LAMIN-X

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Modified H9s are technically the brighter, superior bulb in place of an H11. I've always been apprehensive, since they run at 65W compared to 55W. Not to mention modifying the bulb and getting half the service life of an H11. To each their own; if it works it works!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Modified H9s are technically the brighter, superior bulb in place of an H11. I've always been apprehensive, since they run at 65W compared to 55W. Not to mention modifying the bulb and getting half the service life of an H11. To each their own; if it works it works!
The extra 10 watts per bulb works out to less than 2 amps total increase over 55 watt bulbs. That's not enough to really cause any issues. Your probably fine running the H9 bulbs...at least in terms of the slight increase in current flow.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
The extra 10 watts per bulb works out to less than 2 amps total increase over 55 watt bulbs. That's not enough to really cause any issues. Your probably fine running the H9 bulbs...at least in terms of the slight increase in current flow.
And you're not wrong. Hundreds and thousands of people run H9s in place of H11s. It's just not something I'm willing to mess with right now - plus the whole half-bulb-life thing freaks me out. I drive at night a lot, so changing those out or having one burn out suddenly isn't my schtick.

They're brighter bulbs, yes. But they do burn hotter, and do not last nearly as long. Plus, with the philips xtreme vision and proper aiming I'm happy! I'll likely only get happier with an HID retrofit. Some day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And you're not wrong. Hundreds and thousands of people run H9s in place of H11s. It's just not something I'm willing to mess with right now - plus the whole half-bulb-life thing freaks me out. I drive at night a lot, so changing those out or having one burn out suddenly isn't my schtick.

They're brighter bulbs, yes. But they do burn hotter, and do not last nearly as long. Plus, with the philips xtreme vision and proper aiming I'm happy! I'll likely only get happier with an HID retrofit. Some day.
When I drive it's usually at night Houston-Dallas on I-45 cruising @ 75Mph. I have no issues with the headlights and haven't recieved any flashes. I know what they say about bulb life so we'll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Totally awesome thread and pics. Wish I had the time / skill to execute some of your mods. The ones I'm most interested in, right now would be the LED strips for the hood and trunk.

Cheers

101 - 120 of 270 Posts