Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Should I get some Z-Rated tires or free up my motor lungs first?

Any thoughts?

Any one has done one or the other mod... Or both?

Am I rights thinking a custom exhaust scuold be paired with a freer flowing air filter (K&N)?
Is there some air flowing restrictions I should be aware of?

How are you guys rating the stock Michelin tires?
I feel they are a bit "mushy"...

Is it worth $$$ to put some Z-rated tires?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Z-rated tires or custom exhaust and K&N???'

Do you have the Pilots or Energys for tires? (sport pck or no) I'm not a big fan of Michelin, but I was actually kinda surprised by the Energys, not nearly as bad as I thought they'd be, but thats me, if you dont like the feel of the tires replace em. I have done the same thing on previous vehicles, but I'll probably see how these do this winter, then maybe some blizzaks on the stock rims and some 17's for summer.
Am I rights thinking a custom exhaust scuold be paired with a freer flowing air filter (K&N)?[/b]
Yes..not necessary but a good rule of thumb

Search around, I remember some posts a while back about where the biggest restrictions were in the exhaust

Personally, if you are going to upgrade, I would do the intake/exhaust first..why? becuse if it were me I'd probably want to do a few burnouts or something after I put it on, but I hate abusing brand new expensive tires, that I actually like. so free up some hp melt the tires, then you have a reason to get new ones!

Should I get some Z-Rated tires[/b]
How fast do you plan on going?

anyway thats my $.02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do you have the Pilots or Energys for tires?[/b]
I got the Pilots ones (17'')...

How fast do you plan on going?[/b]
Well, I don't really need a Z-Rated tire, I just want the handling caracteristics that goes with these high perf tires...
You know, hard shoulders, big blocks treads, high responsiveness...
If you have tried some, you'll know that the handling behavior of the car can be much better...

Do you have a lot of snow over there?
My other concern is about winter tires too, but I figure it's a bit soon and too hot for thinking about this!:sarc

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Reading Topic: Z-rated tires or custom exhaust and K&N???

Yeah, we get alot of lake effect snow here
I really havent been in the market for "sporty" tires in a long time so I'll let someone else answer that, but I was just saying, if it were me, since it is summer, and snow isnt a concern I'd do the other mods first. I can understand though if tires are your first priority, make the car the way you want it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I would swap tires first. For one, they are the most important performance/handling/safety mod you can make, since with out good tires, nothing else in your car really matters since they get the power to the ground and keep the power there. Second, they aren’t many other good mods out yet, I would wait on the K&N and custom exhaust, as we’re about 2 months away from several CAI’s and magnaflows cat-back system coming out for the 6. Not to mention, if your tires are still relatively new, and you have a discount tire near you, you can sell your old tires for like 30-40 a piece, helps take a bite out of the price.

If you want a cheap mod, check out this thread http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?...ID=3384&page=10
Some fellow members may have worked out a cheap airbox mod for a few more horses

I’m running continentals (see my signature); which I love. They are Z rated, light weight, quiet, stick like glue wet and dry, and aren’t to expensive. Just remember tire wear is going to be worse with summer tires, so be sure to have them rotated every 5K miles.

My $0.02

·
Registered
229 Posts

your 2 cents are starting to worth a dollar.

great info.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by redss

great info.[/b]
That's one hell of a return! I should get out of the stock market and invest in some "Brillo"

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Originally posted by redss

great info.[/b]
That's one hell of a return! I should get out of the stock market and invest in some "Brillo"[/b][/quote]

Thanks guys, I guess thats why I'm in banking :) Seriously, it's really just that I obsessively research everything, so I try to learn from others sucesses and mistakes. I can't tell you how much I learned from the ClubRSX.com board when I was considering one of them. Hell I spent two weeks researching tires, so I prolly don't need to go into what I'm doing as I'm looking to buy a townhome :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts