Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a volcano red 2005 6i 4dr hatchback with the Bose stereo; have a few thoughts/want to just get clarification on things.

• I plan on leaving the stock HU and amp, probably the stock sub.
  • I want to hook up my existing Alpine MRP-M350 amp + 2 JL Audio 10w6's that were in my 03 Focus.
I've tried to research around here as much as possible to avoid having to add a new thread on old stuff. Again though I just wanted someone to clarify:

• Wiring for the Alpine amp I'm adding, can I piggyback off the bracket in the trunk or should I run fresh wire from where the Bose amp inputs come in (ie fresh from the HU)?
I take it from other threads/similar things that I can run everything from one or the other - signal (the M350 has speaker level inputs; coax not required), battery, ground, remote power on. I would rather piggyback off the trunk terminal/bracket that goes into the Bose sub because it's already there in the trunk area, but if the signal there is worse then I won't. (I've heard conflicting things on this and whether the signal in the trunk is an untouched/non-EQ'd signal or not.)

If I can briefly veer OT for a second - is there any GOOD way to feed an mp3 player through the stock HU? I've been using an FM modulator with my Zune and the sound sucks. (I miss my old Alpine HU with aux-in)

I also plan on painting the calipers red and possibly doing the cold air intake/Flowmaster catback exhaust as well...depends on what I can sneak past the wife. :lol:

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I suggest new power wire straight from the battery for your new amp. I also suggest a ground straight to the frame of the car. For REM, signal+, and signal-, you can definitely tap right off the terminal that goes into the bose sub. You CAN tap into the same wires by the bose AMP, but I still suggest tapping by the subwoofer for ease of installation.

I know you'll do this anyways, but I suggest after you get it all hooked up you play with it both with and without the bose subwoofer hooked up. You never know which way will actually sound better. Remember to change the Alpine amp settings whether plugging in or unplugging the bose subwoofer. it'll change the required alpine amp settings for best sound.

·
Registered
521 Posts
FYI, there is no subwoofer signal from the bose radio. it's 4 channel straight to the bose AMP, and from there the bose amp has 5 outputs. 4 channel outputs at high level, and the 5th for the subwoofer at low level. The subwoofer in your spare tire has a self contained amp inside.

Where is the bass processing? inside the local bass amp? inside the bose amp? Dunno, and don't care. I'm sure you'llbe able to deal with whatever sound you have available when you get everything hooked up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts