Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a 2004 Glacier Silver 6i ATX.

Should I install a Transmission cooler with a filter and just do the Airbox mod,

or

Should I get a CAI (Leaning towards the Injen)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well, you're in good shape for the CAI since you just bought the scangauge, right? Easy to clear the CEL's you'll undoubtedly get. I'm no help on the cooler, I don't know much about it since I've got the manual. Injen's a good place to start I think though.

A caver, eh? A few years ago a couple buddies and I went down to Mammoth Cave and did that "Wild Cave Tour". I'm sure it's nothing like what you do, but damn, that was one incredible tour. 7 hours of squeezing, straining, and doing shit I never thought I'd do. Unreal experience. The stoop walking was the worst though, I'm 6'6" and I kept hitting my back on the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you're in good shape for the CAI since you just bought the scangauge, right? Easy to clear the CEL's you'll undoubtedly get. I'm no help on the cooler, I don't know much about it since I've got the manual. Injen's a good place to start I think though.

A caver, eh? A few years ago a couple buddies and I went down to Mammoth Cave and did that "Wild Cave Tour". I'm sure it's nothing like what you do, but damn, that was one incredible tour. 7 hours of squeezing, straining, and doing shit I never thought I'd do. Unreal experience. The stoop walking was the worst though, I'm 6'6" and I kept hitting my back on the ceiling.
[/b]
Yeah Mammoth is a great commercial cave, but I prefer the "wild" caves. I also know what you mean about hitting your back on the ceiling.....I have scars on my back from a cave rescue training seminar I went to in 1999 in Northern California at Lava Beds National Monument. Those lava tubes have really sharp formations. Those caves in the midwest have nothing on how sharp the formations are in those lava beds.

Back on topic - Yeah, I did just buy the scanguage so clearing the CEL's when they happen is no problem.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I would LOVE to see those lava tubes, I've heard they're incredible. You know anything about that Wild Cave tour? It's really outstanding, and really challenging. Not for the claustrophobic :)

Back on topic, I'd just snag THIS

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not get both? A tranny cooler is only about $50 plus the cost of extra hose.
[/b]
Thought of that, but I am thinking about placing this on my x-mas list for my wife to get me.

MZBuckeye - I would get that intake, but I prefer the silver color.
Those lava tubes are incredible - middle of the high desert, in the summer, 20 feet below ground is permanent ice formations year-round.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it looks like a CAI is leading in the recommendations.......

Any others what to chime in?

P.S. my 6 has 60k miles on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts