Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board and here is my first question!

I've read a few reviews on the Mazda6 and one recurring theme in the "Cons" secton seems to be "depreciation" of resale value. Although this model is new, Mazda has generally not compared well with Honda or Toyota in terms of resale values.

So do you think that the Mazda 6 will hold it's value reasonably well, or will it lose something like 50% of it's value in the first year ownership?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Your Opinion on the Mazda6 Resale Value?

In Europe, it won some award for highest resale.

In America, the car is in low demand for 4cyl autos and high demand for 6cyl manuals. Sales, overall, are lower than expected, but picking up pace steadily. Low demand = low resale, but low sales = short supply of used cars.

Basically, in America, it's anyone's guess. My guess is that it'll be at least as good as the Protege, which is to say above average but not excellent.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

As long as they keep it away from Rental fleets it should help

·
Registered
432 Posts

Id say it's about average. When I traded my 6i (auto w/nothing but premium package); I got $14,900 for it. I was actually expecting it to be worse than that, considering 1) I only had it two months 2) I put almost 10k miles on it in that time and 3) it had slight hail damage.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Dang, you should have sold it to AppleJax for that- he's been wanting a used car.

·
Registered
980 Posts

If I am not mistaken, he had problems with his car that's why he traded it in.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Im sure heavy discounting wont help resale either, and I see it happening already down here. I rode through a lot earlier this morning and was surprised to see all of them had red tags with discounted prices in the windshields.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I think the Mazda6 will have above average resale value, but since its a new car platform, it doesn't have the history like the Accord/Camry/Passat, therefore, that will slightly hurt it. Given all the car does, and the ability to have a V6 5 speed manual, its a trade off I'm happy to make

·
Registered
526 Posts

It won't be as good as current Honda's etc.

But if it maintains the reputation it currently has - "OOhhh COOL!!! You got the new 6??!! Sweet!!!!" It'll do fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts

It's tough for any car company to have as high a resale value at honda & toyota.

Those guys build solid vehicles!!

L

·
0 Posts

Yeah, and they appeal to the least common denominator of the American car-buying public. Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. They sell well cause they don't offend anyone.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy cars because of resale.. but the idea of buying a car that doesn't have any personality? It's like dating the average-looking avid church going girl next door. Boring and not at all sexy! I'll pass, thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Wagons or MPVs (multi-purpose vehicle) usually have higher resell value than sedans!

Mazdas are always weak in resell value, with only the Miata and Protege5 as exceptions. If the Mazda headquarter could keep their inventory down, the resell value of the 6 should be better.

Don't know what the headquarter is thinking. There are people waiting for months for their 6 and dealers are scarce of stock, yet inventory is very high. Isn't this weird???

·
Registered
48 Posts

well no! Inventory is high of the base modeled i's. The ones that are hard to find are the s's (especially with mt) I know two of the lots around here have 12 i's, and (if lucky) 1 s. I guess Mazda thought that the i4 would have sold better than the s, but it has not. Seems like a first year mistake....hey they needed to feel out the crowd. Now if they do this over and over..........:(

·
Registered
78 Posts

OIC. No wonder I can hardly see a 6. I have only seen 4 of them since January.

Back to resell value. The 6's resell value should be good if the GFX or side skirts are equipped. As for engine choice, V6 always have better resale value than I4, and as for body style, wagon should have higher resell value.

·
Registered
10 Posts

To be honest I don't think Honda's are as reliable as they seem to be. My family have owned 5 Honda's, one 93' accord, two 98' civics, and two 00' civics and had major problems with all of them (engine, suspension, and transmission problems). That's why we don't buy honda's anymore. I would think that MAYBE it was just our cars that had problems but when you have the same problems with the same year vehicles, that makes you think.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Your Opinion on the Mazda6 Resale Value?

Well, the 10-year-old Honda that I own has no major problems at all, except for the water pump and CV boots. But those are just wear and tear. I travel 100KM per day, 5 days a week, and I don't see my Honda has a single mechanical failure.

Q

·
0 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Your Opinion on the Mazda6 Resale Value?

Honda's are pretty good for reliability - I'm selling my 12 yr old civic for a new Mazda6 - still in great mechanical condition. However, I have friends with very old mazdas and they are also very reliable. You have to look at the price tag too though...40% depreciation on a 40k$ (CDN$ here...) Acura is the same loss in $$ as 50% on a 32k$ Mazda6....
Also have to agree with the comments on the fun factor - I'm willing to sacrifice 2-3k$ over 5 yrs to have a car I love to drive. Accords...sorry...but just about everyone I see driving one is over 50!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Your Opinion on the Mazda6 Resale Value?'

Originally posted by -Q-I'm willing to sacrifice 2-3k$ over 5 yrs to have a car I love to drive.[/b]
That's a great way to put it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts