Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys im new to the site, but not to issues that have been talked about. First of all I have had my car for about 3 months and 9000 miles. (I have a long drive to work) About two and a half weeks ago I took my car in for a oil change. Last wednesday it started ticking so I called the dealer and made a appointment to take it in. By friday it was knocking. may I remind you the oil was changed 2 and half weeks ago. stupid me did not even think to check the oil level. But still not my fault it is knocking. So I dropped it off on saturday and got a loaner.

Here comes the bad part, they called me on monday to tell me that there was no oil in the car except for 1 quart. SO it was missing 5. they also tell me that there was no oil leakage anywere, no oil burn off, and the plug and filter were also fine. That led them to beleive the last place I took my car too didnt put enough oil in. now Fire Stone wants to do a engine tear down to prove they were not at fault. So now I have the dealer and Fire Stone going back and forth and im stuck in the middle. I have read thread after thread on how oil just disapears from these engines. If they find out Fire Stone is at fault my warrenty is null and viod and I have to go after them for the repairs.

Sorry for the Rant and for being my first post. :swearin:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
That wouldn't be the first time I've heard of firestone not filling an enginer with oil... happened to a friend of mine. Though you can't say thats indicative of the company.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
This happens all the time on BITOG.com. The problem is, the quickie lube type places that offer oil changes, don't have the same population of techs. The average turnaround is roughly 2-4 weeks. So in 1 oil change interval, the particular shop may have gone through 2-3 oil "tech"'s. Tech being the loose term because thats usually the first job any newbie gets coming into the shop.

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is why I change the oil/filter myself. I simply don't trust them. I've had a couple of experiences with these lube places although not catastrophic if left unchecked they could have been. Get the tools required to do the job and do it yourself. At least you'll know the job was done right.

I hope everything turns out well for you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Originally posted by oviedo6@Oct 5 2005, 08:22 AM
This is why I change the oil/filter myself. I simply don't trust them. I've had a couple of experiences with these lube places although not catastrophic if left unchecked they could have been. Get the tools required to do the job and do it yourself. At least you'll know the job was done right.

I hope everything turns out well for you.
[snapback]525705[/snapback]​
Ditto. Taking it anywhere is a gamble, because no one will treat your car like you will. Especially, oil change techs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a friend that works at Firestone in Dallas and he told me about one of the guys that works there doing that to a brand new 3. The dealer wouldnt touch it so Firestone is rebuilding the engine...No more factory warranty.

Back a few months ago I had my Sentra and I took it to a quick cheap oil change place (Merchants Tire) and they used an extra quart of oil! I took it back and made them change it again and use the right amount.

Now I change my own oil so I know whats going in.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I'm going to change my oil today, just in case.

Sorry to hear about that, I've heard similar stories.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
24 Participants
ram123
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing