Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy to say four-seat sports car, but what does it mean? In this case, it means feeling light and nimble, turning in like a race car, and resisting roll in corners.

the 6 has all this

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic 'you see'

I can't see the 6 as a sports car really. It wouldn't stand a chanse to a S2000, M-coupe, Corvette or other "real" sports cars.

I actually like the term Sports Sedan (/hatch, best sounding is of course SportWagon :hoho). It sums it up quite good. A sedan with a spory feel to it.

I have very little experince of sitting in a sports car, but I feel that if I don't look in the rear view mirror and see the giant comfortable back seat or the cargo netting it shure make the horns grow :D Of course this never happens, as I am a very nice person who keeps a look out the rear view mirror for cars, Santas and other possibly dangerous things :hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The 6 is a sporty family car.

But what a car it is!!! (I even had to get myself a family to justify buying one...:D )

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

You have a family! *mission accomplished*

Or do you mean a "family" of 6's :D *Hmm what on will I take today.. The... Yellow.. Or the Blue.. Or... *

·
Registered
464 Posts

people out there call integras and WRXs and mustangs "sports cars" so I dont see why the 6 can't be one. Drop a turbo in the 4 or 6 cylinder and you got tons of muscle. I think the 6 looks sportier than a lot of cars that are defined as sports cars but I believe this is more true with the 6 hatchback sports edition, not the typical sedan.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

AUGH! Muscle and a design do not a sports car make. The Mustang is as much a sportscar as Steve is a conservative poster.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Boy! That Mustang must be a REAL sportscar!!!!!:D

(I try to hold back, but you know...it's all these voices. They make me!!!:D )

·
Registered
464 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

AUGH!  Muscle and a design do not a sports car make.  The Mustang is as much a sportscar as Steve is a conservative poster.  [/b]
I guess everyone has an opinion of what a sports car is. There are levels such as between sportscar and supercar IMO. Sportscars I feel deliver a certain type of look of speed, either have a large engine or P:W ratio, have great handling, and deliver an experience. Supercars are purely sportscars that are exotic. Other cars are designed for other purposes whether its a grocery getter, to haul equipment, etc.

I do think though that design and muscle are two key ingredients amongst many. You can't take a ferrari engine and put it in a yugo and call it a sportscar. Similarly you can't take a ferrari body with a yugo engine and call it a sports car. But combine a bunch of elements together and you have a sports car.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I wouldn't classify the Mazda6 as a sports car, at the moment, but it is definitely a sporty car. It looks and feels like a sports car in many respects, except perhaps horsepower.

It would really need to have more horsepower, like a turbocharged V4 or even a more powerful V6 to be a sports car.

Very much like the difference between a Subaru RX and a WRX. The RX has most of the facets of the WRX, handling and looks, but WRX has that little bit of Whooo that make it a sports car. The RX is an excellent sporty car while the WRX is a sports car.

I would be very surprised if a turbocharged version does not turn up in a year.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by solarbear

I wouldn't classify the Mazda6 as a sports car, at the moment, but it is definitely a sporty car.  It looks and feels like a sports car in many respects, except perhaps horsepower.

It would really need to have more horsepower, like a turbocharged V4 or even a more powerful V6 to be a sports car.[/b]
Hmmm... Let's see, This is a Sports Car correct.

2300lbs & 142 HP or about 16 lbs / HP

A Mazda6s weights about 3200lbs & 220 Hp or 14.5 lbs / HP

And this has only 143HP

It ain't always about HP.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I always felt the Miata was a bit on the edge of the sports car category and just squeaked in by being perhaps the one of best handling cars in the world.

The 6 with a full body kit is on the edge as well.

Now the turbocharged Miata is definitely a sports car.

The 6 or a Miata would be enough sports car for me! They look sporty and handle great, and the speed limit is only 110K anyways.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

I can't see the 6 as a sports car really. It wouldn't stand a chanse to a S2000, M-coupe, Corvette or other "real" sports cars.[/b]
How about an M3 sedan? Is that less sporty than the coupe?

I think the Mazda6 is too refined to be a true sports car. Sports cars should be more in-your-face and unrefined. They should be bare-bones machinary for thrills.

However, since all cars seem to be pretty refined these days (or they wouldn't sell); I'd say the 6 is pretty close to a sports car. It still begs to be driven fun and driven hard. That is the soul of any sports car.

I don't think horsepower is necessary, but it helps. Handling is a must.

I guess we all have different ideas of what makes a car sporty.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Matt, you don't know what you're talking about...it also has a very sporty feeling, not like "any" family car...:sarc

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Yeah I know, but I mean is, it isn't a coupe, or it doesn't looks like one (it just looks very sporty, like the Alfa 156); it is just as large as any car in that class, like the Mondeo. It's not like the first two 323Fs. They were almost 4-doors coupe's. That also was very obvious when you sat in one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts