Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a 2012 Mazda 3 dark gray, no problems. Drove it for 10 years. Had a Honda Civic, red. Drove it for nearly 12 years. No issues. NOTHING like the paint chipping down to the bare metal on the new 2021 6 that I'm driving with this crystal red paint...which, mind you, I paid extra for.

Mazda needs to recall these, do I don't know what. Some sort of seriously durable clear coat? This is insanity. Totally unacceptable. As in, I'm going to return the freaking thing I'm so pissed. How can a car company that obviously takes very seriously pretty much everything about quality, everything is just solid as a rock, put out cars with this absurd paint on it? It's baffling to me. Very un-Mazda. And they've been doing it for years based on these posts online. I'm bummed. There is a petition at change.org. Sign it and if enough numbers hit maybe they'll figure out a way to deal with this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lot of people have found excessive chipping of the soul red crystal paint. The next problem is that it is extremely difficult to match.

I have heard of some having success getting Mazda to pay for a repaint.

I am frustrated that Mazda continues to sell a paint that is too fragile for the real world.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can get past this and enjoy your Mazda and never think about a Honda again. They are no fun.
Must admit, I’m crazy about the SRCM paint. Like the OP, I’ve noticed some chips, but not as pronounced as his. What-d-ya gonna do? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Driving up to Wichita to see Guns & Roses, I found a parking spot available “for rent” by a paint & body shop near the arena. The guy directing me said, as I was exiting, “That’s one of those 3-step process colors. They are a PITA to match up with the OEM finish. I try to avoid them whenever I can.”

My CX-5 neighbor, also in Soul Red, hit something on the interstate. Car had to be taken to the Mazda dealer’s body shop for the fender and lower side driver’s door repaired. She returned the car 3 times because the paint looked terrible. At first I thought she was just being picky. But quite honestly it did look terrible. They finally got it right on the final attempt.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts