Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a few chips on the hood and thought it was tough luck.But while wiping it down after washing I notice more and more on all sides. I am working with the dealership and the warranty department currently. I hope they take care of it. Otherwise this will be my first and last Mazda.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You signed up for the site just to post this? Are you expecting a hug or something?

Reactions: GerryB and mmmmark

·
Registered
101 Posts
A lot of people have found excessive chipping of the soul red crystal paint. The next problem is that it is extremely difficult to match.

I have heard of some having success getting Mazda to pay for a repaint.

I am frustrated that Mazda continues to sell a paint that is too fragile for the real world.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can get past this and enjoy your Mazda and never think about a Honda again. They are no fun.

·
Administrator
18,567 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your paint frustrations. Couple things to note here:

• All manufacturers are using thinner paints to save on production costs, so it's not just Mazda, but I will admit that Mazda seems to be using the thinnest.
  • If the chips are bad enough, send photos to Mazda. There have been several people (my parents with their Cx9 included) who had it bad enough that Mazda actually gave them a free re-paint of the whole front end.
  • As much as you're not going to like hearing this, 95% of chips on your front end come as a result of you following people too closely. At highway speeds, if you remain an adequate distance away from cars/trucks, the amount of chips goes down drastically.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
[*]As much as you're not going to like hearing this, 95% of chips on your front end come as a result of you following people too closely. At highway speeds, if you remain an adequate distance away from cars/trucks, the amount of chips goes down drastically.
[/LIST]
As much as I would like to agree, but my CR-V 98 is way "abused" compared to the '6' and I needed only to have it repainted because of a collision. If I didn't "meet" that accident, I would still have the factory paint.

Then again, let's try to avoid tailgating and drive as much as possible in a relaxed manner.

Of course, I'm speaking with myself when I say "relaxed driving". As if I can always do it...

·
Administrator
18,567 Posts
Maybe I should visit the Mercedes / Audi / BMW forums... but my sense is that owners of those cars (recent models with water-borne paint) don't seem to be complaining...
German vehicles are typically coated slightly thicker than Asian/American vehicles being around 100 - 150 microns where Mazda/Honda/Toyota/Ford are anywhere between 70 and 100 microns, where Mazda tends to stay at the lower end of those numbers. So while Mazda does have a slightly thinner paint (on average) than most other manufactures, the key difference is that it seems they don't change this thickness throughout the exterior like most other manufacturers do.

Most manufacturers, from what I can find, vary the thickness depending on the part it's applied to, for added protection. However, Honda and Toyota don't alter theirs much, and I can't see it being the determining factor of how many chips a paint receives.

I still say that driving behind cars too closely results in the vast majority of your scrapes/nicks and, at highway speeds, the difference of 10 - 20 microns isn't going to matter. Could Mazda prevent some of the chips by adding slightly more thickness to vulnerable parts? Absolutely. But could the driver prevent even more by staying back when possible? Absolutely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the front end of my red 2018 GTR up to the front door and window covered with a “Ghostshield” plastic coating a few weeks after purchase after noticing and touching up two small paint chips on the hood. Two years later my car still looks new. According to the plastic shield installer, all new cars have super fragile paint and the worst are Teslas. Durable lacquers/ urethanes are never coming back - all new autos should be plastic coated from the factory IMO, it’s got to be cheaper than repaints and lawsuits. I have to thank this forum for the early warning on this fragile red paint, so glad I addressed it early. Good luck to other SRC Mazda owners on getting their chipped paint problems resolved.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 14 looks like it has followed a gravel truck all its 110k miles. Lots of knicks. Every one exposes metal that rusts without good waxing. It’s a low sloping hood. That has way more to do with it vs thin paint. My Honda Pilot takes most of them on the grill—which looks beat to hell. Drive it or garage it. You can’t have both.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dude. Your a douche. should be bitch slapped
And you're just the bitch to do it I bet! Did you see that this post has been dead for well over a year? LOL, genius!

• Haha
Reactions: TalonTsi90

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a brand new 2021 Mazda CX-5 in December 2020. About 2 months in, I noticed paint chips and it has only gotten worse. For the past year I have tried contacting Mazda about it. They said it was under warranty and since November I have been calling them to schedule the repaint. About four weeks ago, they said I could get my car repainted but they have no courtesy vehicles so I would not have a way to get to and from work. I took my car there and dropped it off after being told it would take 1 week to paint. I arranged to borrow a car for the week. I dropped it off first thing Tuesday morning. I called Thursday afternoon and was told they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing with my car. I have been communicating with only two people and the guy that told me that, I have talked to several times so he is well aware of my issue. He said they could get it repainted but it would take 3+ weeks. I asked again for a courtesy vehicle and he told me they have nothing to give me. They have been completely unhelpful and I have no idea what to do now. I have 100's of paint chips all over this brand new car. I had a Mazda before this purchase and was happy with it. I will never purchase anything from Mazda again. They clearly don't stand behind their vehicles!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts