Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
What colour is your coolant, is that going down?
The other liquid that is yellowy is brake / clutch fluid but that amount you would have no brakes and as you say it doesn't feel like oil. Hydraulic fluid smells a bit like cats urine.
Is it possible to run a day without AC to eliminate that?
What colour is your engine oil on the dipstick, if blackthen it cannot be sump oil. Manual gear box oil, but that tends to be brownish and if you have a drip that would be very unusual.
If its water based then it would tend to evaporate or drain away, but oil would leave a stain. Try a piece of cardboard weighted down in the right place or even a plastic tray to catch some.

A decent mechanic if he puts it on the lift when its hot and removes a couple of the small access panels should be able to suss it.
Japanese cars are no more susceptible to leaks (in fact probably less so) than any other country make.
Good luck and let the forum know the outcome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Coolant in these is green (if FL-22, and it should be) and all glycol-based coolants feel slippery between the fingers. If its not then it isn't coolant. That's not likely oil. The bad news is it could be the A/C refrigerant oil, which typically is clear when it goes in but who knows after a while, and if it is then its leaking into the condensate pan which means the dash gets to come out to replace it -- and that's a five-alarm pain in the butt.

You'll know if the A/C stops working, obviously....
There is very little oil in the refrigeration system, if this leaking has happened a few times that the ac compressor would have seized up by now.
You wouldn't have to touch the dash, as I cannot see how the evaporator could leak without human intervention, condenser yes, by a stone through the grill ot malicous damage. It wouldn't take long for the ac to show its not working if its hot. If you had a refrigerant leak you wouldn't be getting any condensate.

Could it be washer fluid running out the heater drains after its been used just before stopping.

Coolant, granted is Fl-22, but has some body put something else in.

If its oil you can tell by rubbing between your fingers and it wouldn't mix well with water.
Interesting.
Lets hope its something not expensive.
Rusty water can appear yellowy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure how i can be more clear...i never said the SOURCE was in the middle of the car, water flows where ever the eff it wants to and comes out in really odd places.
I would aggree there, bit like vibration also, not always where it is coming from.
The condenser is in front of the radiator but the evaporator is behind the dash which cools the air condensing the moisture which leaks out the plenum drain. I have yet to locate this.
I was told by the dealer could be by the right hand side sill area and may leak onto the undertrays so it may actually comes out further aft depending on the gradient of the road, hence middle of the car so to speak.

If the various fluid levels are not going down, ie radiator, oil level, hydraulics, then it is probably coming from the ac, which at this time of the year is quite normal.
Has the underside of the car been checked at the end of other journeys and parking places. If you park on clean concrete rather than tarmac you may be able to determine what the liquid is better or park the car in your garage, put some sort of a tray underneath where you think its coming from and check 30 - 60 minutes later.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Compressor, condenser,( liquid) expansion valve (usually a small capiliary/oriface rather than a valve) evaporator next to the heater core, (gas) then the gas goes into the compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts