Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving today with tank nearly empty, then a small circular yellow light came on, beside the empty indicator on the gas gauge. I've never seen this light come on before, probably because I've never let my gas tank drop to as low as it has (gas prices are absurd here in T.O. at the moment).

Luckily, I wasn't too far from a gas station when it came on, so I was able to fill up the tank.

How long can you drive when that yellow light comes on?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Mine comes one with ~14.4 gallons used up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have driven about another 30 miles after the light came up. Just fill up whenever it came up. I hate the gas price!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn@Aug 10 2005, 09:20 PM
Mine comes one with ~14.4 gallons used up.
[snapback]481719[/snapback]​
You still have just a hair under a 1/4 tank left (More specifically, 1/5, or 20% of th tank remaining) t.. You could easily travel another 50-60 miles when the light comes on, especially if youre not beating on it, running AC, etc..

I regularly let mine go another 25-30 miles out here, since there are huge variances in gas prices in this area (but all sharing one common theme EXPENSIVE AS HELL).. Its just how much you want to get bent over before you pump.. "Cheap" gas here is going for about $2.45 for reg 87 if youre fortunate enough to have one of those stations nearby.. Expensive can reach up as high as $2.89 for 87 Reg.. If I fill up without going over $40, Im in fairly good shape.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The gas tank capacity is 18 gal.
The light comes on when you have 4 gal left.
When the needle is right on "E", you have 3 gal left.

I usually don't pay attention to the low gas light since it's very conservative. I know my car pretty well so I usually get gas at around 400 miles for 15-16 gal fill-up.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The first time I saw it come on, I was expecting to hear a chime. I don't even pay attention to it now. I don't even complain about gas prices anymore. Here, it only equates to about a dollar or so more a fillup. Slowly making adjustments to other areas of my budget, I don't even notice it. I can't even tell you how much I paid for my last tank of gas.

Why complain? It's not going to do any good nor is it going to get better. We have been enjoying the low prices for years with our fuel inefficient vehicles. Now that prices are goin up, we are starting to realize how far behind we are. Take the hit and deal with it. Lobby the Govt to put in more E85 stations and Mazda to make FFV engines, then we can buy E85 at $1.50-$1.75 a gallon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts