Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to add fog lights to my 2014 AT Jet Black Mica Touring 6. I picked up the stalk already, so now all I have to do it buy the housing/lights. I was on the fence between the OEM Housing w/Morimoto XB LEDs or the Spyder Fog Light Kit. Due to price (~$290 for OEM housings and Morimotos) or (~$100 total for Spyders) I think I have decided on the Spyders. I also like the idea of yellow fog lights for the JDM look, the contrast with the headlights, and the added benefit of the yellow light in the fog. It seems like a waste to put yellow film on the Morimotos. I have some other mods I would like to do, so the money saved would go towards those.

I have a few questions if anybody has any experience in these. Has anybody tried the Lumen brand of fog light kits? CarID has them for ~$40 less than the Spyders. I have seen a lot of mention of the Spyders here, but no mention of the Lumens. I would assume they are on par with the iJDMTOYs that other have bought for the same price. Am I better off just spending the extra money on the Spyders?

Lumen: https://www.carid.com/2014-mazda-6-fog-lights/lumen-factory-style-fog-lights-846424022.html
Sypder: https://www.carid.com/2014-mazda-6-fog-lights/spyder-fog-lights-347127914.html

After I buy one of these, I am also looking to add some yellow bulbs to enhance the yellow color. I am not sure what would be better - some Hella Yellow halogen bulbs or some yellow LED bulbs. Does anybody have experience with either of these? I am assuming the halogen bulbs will throw better but the LED bulbs will be brighter especially in daylight. The LED bulbs have many more reviews and a better rating the the Hellas. This has me leaning towards the LEDs.

Hella H11: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H11-Yellow-55W-Xtreme-Yellow/dp/B079VYZ2TP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hella+yellow+h11&qid=1563459154&s=gateway&sr=8-3[/ame]
Alla LED H11: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-2800lm-Illumination-Replacement/dp/B07G5VLVNM/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=hella+yellow+h11&qid=1563460270&s=automotive&sr=1-17[/ame]

Any insight would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the Spyders with the yellow LED bulbs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The performance of the Morimotos are incredible. Definitely a improvement even my with my GT's HIDs.

I've played with the idea of the yellow film, but it looks so good color matched.

Good luck with your fog light endeavour's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the look of the Morimotos, but I decided to go with the Spyders. Found them for $90 total - compared to the ~$290 for the OEM housings and Morimotos. I want to go the yellow route, and it seems like a waste to put yellow film on those nice Morimoto LEDs. Plus a yellow film + yellow bulb will give a deeper yellow color. That being said, I could very well end up with some Morimotos if I can find a deal on them somewhere down the road.

Now the decision is yellow H11 halogen or yellow H11 LED bulbs. They are about the same price, and the reviews on the yellow halogen lights are not great. I am leaning towards the LEDs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Modified H9s with yellow film

Attachments

·
Rally Racer
2,064 Posts
Now the decision is yellow H11 halogen or yellow H11 LED bulbs. They are about the same price, and the reviews on the yellow halogen lights are not great. I am leaning towards the LEDs.

Either way you go the yellow will cut some of your usable light. Not much at all, but considering that, it will be cheaper and easier to remove film and have white behind it than to have to pull the bulb out.

I also went with with yellow in my OEM Cibie fogs because I was having a hard time color matching them to my HID. :shrug:
They were so pitted I used a transparent spray instead of film. They have halogens installed because the brightest LED I could find did not throw light well in the halogen reflector.

Apologies as this is a 1st gen example in a 3rd gen thread.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Either way you go the yellow will cut some of your usable light. Not much at all, but considering that, it will be cheaper and easier to remove film and have white behind it than to have to pull the bulb out.

I also went with with yellow in my OEM Cibie fogs because I was having a hard time color matching them to my HID. :shrug:
They were so pitted I used a transparent spray instead of film. They have halogens installed because the brightest LED I could find did not throw light well in the halogen reflector.

Lighting is lighting by my book lol.

What transparent spray did you use if you don't mind me asking? This could open up a whole new thing to do to personalise ones lighting to taste (within reason of course).

·
Rally Racer
2,064 Posts
Lighting is lighting by my book lol.

What transparent spray did you use if you don't mind me asking? This could open up a whole new thing to do to personalise ones lighting to taste (within reason of course).
Thanks Ray, that's what I was figuring as well.
I used the Krylon series of sprays called Stained Glass. I picked mine up at Kroger and used 3-ish coats. My son has used them on wood to let the grain show through. Cool product.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts

Nothing wrong with either Cibie or 1s Gen; wish I could find those for my '03

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the share Doc!! I'll have to take a look at those when things settle down here. Another thing that I've see suggested on some lighting forums is the "mix you own spray paint" kits out there. You use clear as a base and add drops of desired color to it to make a candy type paint. Oh speaking of, candy paint is supposed to be translucent as well though i havent tried it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts