Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my g/f purchased the one and only 2000 Mazda Millenia S off a virginia beach lot while on vacation 2 years ago, and i have never once seen another Millenia S but hers. i see Millenias but never any blown ones. then i see this Mazda 6 and i thinkin to myself WTF no more millenias? and after seeing the specs on it, no offense but i wasnt too impressed, I'm not astonished by the Millenias S's stock power either. but only 210hp for the S and 220hp for the 6 C'mon now thats a little weak considering its a 4 door car. Acura and infinity are almost hitting 300hp on thier cars now. whats the deal?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Replying to Topic 'yeah why the 6???'

again, If Mazda had built a new V6, not reengineer the ford v6, I' am certainly it will hit 300hp. but once again, average people will not have much chance to use that extra power! so the extra power won't benefit most of us.

as long as it has enough power for us to drive effortlessly and comfortably and it wont get out of puff at 120km when we get to highway, that' fine for most of drivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yeah makes sense, but you would think they'd be right up with the competitiors, many of these "4 door sports cars" have the same terget market.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Also remember that a 300HP engine is going to rack up the price even more... That would more than likely put the base price almost near $30,000 where it would be out of the range where most of its compeition would be (ie accord, camry, altima, etc..). However a 300HP engine would be sweet to have at its current price :)

EDIT: The mazda 6 is not trying to compete with Acura or Inifinity.. those are makred as luxury cars where the mazda is a sports compact.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut
EDIT: The mazda 6 is not trying to compete with Acura or Inifinity.. those are makred as luxury cars where the mazda is a sports compact.[/b]
Don't say the "C" word!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

A *c* with better room then larger cars that is.

My father drove it the other day and dropped me of at a place, and when he drove away (slowly, was going in to a parkinglot) I watched the car in traffic (not often I do that) and I reilized that this is one big car!

Is it as large as a Volvo V70? It looks wide and so.. Not so sure about the lengt since it got small overhangs back and front, but not enormus distance between the axels... But it looks BIG. NOT a *c*! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

alright i see now, so then the mazda millenia s and the mazda 6 are in 2 totally different categories. i know this isnt a price based matter but we paid almost $34,000 for that car! i would imagine the 6 is alot cheaper FULLY loaded?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Yeah... A fully loaded Mazda6s would run close to $26,000. But you're comparing 2 totally different class of cars.. Just because they are both made by Mazda doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts

the fact still remains, that for the same price ranges the competition is offering much better engines than the crap duratech in the 6

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Me

the fact still remains, that for the same price ranges the competition is offering much better engines than the crap duratech in the 6[/b]
We got your opinion on this by now. Did you post it in the "suggestions for Mazda" forum, otherwise I suggest you do - that's the proper channel to bring them ideas. But in here we've understood by now you wish more juice!:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yup, we live in pennsylvannia, but we bought the car in virginia beach. yeah i know it was pricey, but i guess you'd have to understand our situation, not a bad one, but lets just say we had some money to throw around, and we loved the car.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I suppose it comes down to price and how much horsepower you can put into a front wheel drive car. Have you ever noticed, especially with cars, that they can't handle all the horsepower, the whole front end seems to shake and whatnot when they are really pushed? To go up to 250 or more hosepower and use it effectively they'd probably have to make it All Wheel Drive, which would drive up the cost. There is something smooth about the way the 2.3 4cyl pushes at the moment. More horsepower doesn't seem necessary.

Mazda has to combat an unwarranted inferiority complex in Europe and in the USA and they'd never be able to charge what you might pay for a BMW, Acura or Audi. Therefore, I guess they've gone with a slightly lower horsepowered car to keep the price down.

I'd have to agree that they should have tried to match the 6cyl HP of a Honda or Nissan for the USA and Canada. Although, here in Australia Mazda's 2.3 is about as powerful a 4cyl as you can get.

As Mazda sits now it is a very good handling and stylish alternative to a Honda or Nissan. There really is not much chance they'd be able to sell an AWD car at the price of a European car of good reputation. I guess they are going for the same image that the MX5 (Miata) has as well - a car that DRIVES well. And in most cases they've succeeded.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Horse power is a pure preferance for people. Why do indy cars have that much power, when they could easily turn just as fast with 200hp? ITs simple, they want to accelerate fast as well and turn and handle great. It hink thats the main disappointment of the v6. Yea it handles good but would you buy this car if it only had 90 hp? I mean it would still get you from point a to point b, and would still handle the same. I mean come on

·
Registered
96 Posts

It's a preference yes, but saying the 6 is a disappointment because it doesn't have an insane amount of hp is way over the top.

Most people don't really need 300 hp. Only a few powerheads maybe. So maybe the 6 just isn't for them.. good!

I've driven the 1.8 and the 2.0 and they're both fine cars.
When getting a new car I didn't just compare horsepower and chose the biggest engine..
C'mon, who in their right mind does that.. buy a truck or a tank! they come with lots more hp.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey I would not buy a car that was 90HP as well but then the M6 with V6 is not 90HP but 220HP which in my book is plenty for a FWD car.

Most FWD car just can not handle all that power. There is way too much bump/torque steer to appreciate a fine powerful engine. I test drove an Acura TL Type S 3.2L which has 260HP and 232lbs-ft which is more power than the new Accord V6 3.0L and that car would just spin its front wheel when I punched it. All that power does not seem to get transfer to the ground as it should be. I drive a 200HP Volvo 960 now which is RWD and I believe it has smoother power transfer than the much more powerful TL.

I believe for future performance, new FWD suspension design has to be discovered to take advantage of higher performance engine. Or AWD vehicle will become standard when you opt for extremely powerful engine.

I don't consider the extra 20HP and 20lbs-ft that the Accord have over the M6 will be missed.

I guess if it all depends on the buyer. The sort of buyer that would care about numbers. I guess the myth about how HP numbers is directly compared to their wish on how long they want to be. :D ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

very true about hp. everyone is different. but hp issues can be easily fixed with new tires, or a better driver. and the weigth differences on these may have a factor too. my dakota may have over 320 hp and 380 ft.lbs. of tq but it weighs over 2 tons, not to mention no weight over the back tires, I run pirelli sciorpion zero's and traction bars, and have no traction problems.

yeah but i guess its all in what you like, i like horsepower.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Well we are all right actually. But the fact remains, that in a car with a 3300lb curb weight, the tq peak should be much lower. 5000 is rediculous, and only 192 lb feet. If they could have made the power down low and kept it somewhat linear it would have been much better. lets just say 200lb feet at 3500. That would have been bmuch better for daily driving. This engine is just peaky and only makes power on the top end which is fine and dandy if your driving a 2600lb rsx, but for a 3300lb car you really need low end grunt to move the initial girth of the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts