Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
what is REALLY scary is that more people voted for the winner (63 or 64 million) then have EVER voted for any president or presidential election in history.

Think about that for a sec, this country cares more about who is going to be the next American Idol then who will be our president.

::shiver::

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
what is REALLY scary is that more people voted for the winner (63 or 64 million) then have EVER voted for any president or presidential election in history.

Think about that for a sec, this country cares more about who is going to be the next American Idol then who will be our president.
[/b]
Yes, but people can vote multiple times so it doesn't truly reflect that statement.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

[/b]
There are electronic programs that people run to have their computer's modem dial and vote over and over. I think there are ways to do this on a cell phone, too. Some people truly have too much time on their hands, but I'm sure 63 million individuals did not vote.

Still, it's sad that more than 63 million Americans don't vote in every election. That's what- just 1/5th the population? 1/6th? That's pathetic, especially when 5/6 Americans seem eager to complain about the presidency.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I still haven't figured out:

1. Why anyone would watch this show.

and

2. Why anyone would care who wins.

:headscrat:

·
Registered
383 Posts
what is REALLY scary is that more people voted for the winner (63 or 64 million) then have EVER voted for any president or presidential election in history.[/b]
My wife mentioned this statistic to me after she watched the show, so I made her rewind the TiVo and find the comment. As Absolut pointed out, the statement made on Fox is somewhat misleading. They are counting total votes, not the number of people that voted. Also, the comment was something to the effect that they received more total votes than any presidental winner in history. Therefore, they are only counting votes for the presidential winner, not the total number of votes in a presidental election. Pathetic none the less....

I just don't get the attraction, but my wife and 9 year old certainly enjoy the show, and it is the buzz this morning around the office water cooler.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Yeah, but Bo Bice seemed like he'd make a good back-to-roots rock album, but the recording industry instead produced a trendy pop-rock album with his voice. Whoever wins the show has anything unique about their voice and style totally stripped away from them. The mainstream record industries today suck.

Taylor will no doubt get rich from this deal, but he'll do it sounding like just another "me too" artist.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

and

[/b]
Maybe you don't understand because you don't fall into the age bracket the show is targeting!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Taylor WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b]
:barf:

Chris and Paris were the two I thought had what it takes to truly be an American Idol.

Umm... Bo Bice didn't win. Honestly, I follow it and sort of watch it, but I'm hardly a frothing fanatic.

I thought there were over 100 million votes in the 2004 election (weren't each about 50 million?). Also consider those who cannot vote due to age, legal incompetence (should be more), criminal record...

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
From CNN (2004 Election Results)

Bush: 62,040,606 votes
Kerry: 59,028,109 votes

I believe the statement that was made on American Idol was that they received more votes for their finale than any one president has recieved in history (vice a combined total). If Fox is reporting that they received 63+ million votes, then their statement was correct. In 2004, Bush set the record for having received the most votes ever in an election ever with over 62 million.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The statement was made right before they announced the winner, giving the viewer not a lot of time to really think about it. It was what I call a 'shotgun' statement; a statement meant to spread a lot of excitement all at once, but it doesn't get very far once looked at. It was a cheap ploy to make AI feel better about themselves.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm glad taylor won, Shows simon that he doenst know that much. Remember when taylor first audition he said no, and he also said that Paula and randy would not vote for him past the second round..I really wanted chris to win but o'well..good job taylor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same here, Chris should have won.

[/b]

Agreed, Chris should have won. Taylor and Kat were really bad.

I liked Bucky myself...! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts

and

[/b]
Me neither. I can't wait until this show gets cancelled. I'm sick of hearing about this crap at work. Who cares?

·
Registered
788 Posts
On a side note...I never have voted...I am republican and in the state of NY their are 5 million democrats and 3 million republicans...since the elecoral college "rubber stamps" the vote ... my vote IS truly worthless in republican stance!!! There is nothing to stop Hillary from winning in 2008...she can't be stopped...If I could vote from my house 10 times over a four hour span...sure...I would do that...but to register to vote...to stand on line...nnnaaaahhhhh...

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Then you have no right to say anything or to complain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing