Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first side came out absolutely perfect, no sign they were there from the factory.
and then...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I can't tell what happened...did the paint come off?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I guess what I meant was, what is the pic showing? Missing paint? Crud on the edge? I can't tell. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it looks as if it was painted twice. It seems that the factory painted it, then put the strip on, then painted the door again.... hmmm. theres a slight indentation.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Oh...got it. Did you purchase it new? Wow...the color difference is huge. :huh:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we bought it used from the dealer with 12k on it, still has warranty, is this something I can try to get covered, if it is in fact their fault?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, if the car was repainted for some reason and the dealer never told you...I would think you have a basis for arguing with them about it. Repaint usually means damage. I would certainly talk to them about it and figure out why it was (if it was) repainted. You'll have a heck of a time reselling or trading if you can't explain a repaint. I ran into that with a Volvo I had once.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked underneath the front one. Same thing..... Im baffeled, and the only thing I can come up with is the car had both doors repainted, possibly the bodyshop just sprayed over the doorguards, and thats why I am seeing a totally different color and indentation.

any guess as to how much 2 doors will be to be sprayed by a top-notch shop?

·
Registered
364 Posts
From your pic, I can see that the rear quarter panel matches the paint underneath the door guard.
Maybe the paint on the door faded?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Both doors were repainted. That stinks. I would go back and complain if they never informed you that the doors had been repainted. You can clearly tell that the door is a different color from the quarter panel.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Both doors were repainted. That stinks. I would go back and complain if they never informed you that the doors had been repainted. You can clearly tell that the door is a different color from the quarter panel. [/b]

and I hate to bring this up, but it's something you really should have noticed before even considering buying the car. that noticable a difference in paint quality and color should have (and does, even in the blurry pictures) stuck out like a sore thumb, and made that car an instant reject in the buying process.

the dealer can and might play equally dumb about any body damage, claiming they knew nothing about it when they took the car in. whether or not they did would be almost impossible to prove.
read your used car warranty closely, most times they are pretty limited on what they cover, and if its the balance of the original Mazda warranty it most certainly does not cover collision damage.

good luck, but in the future you really need to pay much closer attention to a car you're considering buying.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me with my driver's door ...

When it was repainted they didn't take off the door guards ... Although the paint was a perfect match, when I took off the door guards the clear coat came off with it ... thats your clear coat what came off with your door guard because it was applied ON it and not under it ....

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was also going to say that the paint either faded or you pulled the clear off with the adhesive on the door gaurds, maybe try looking on the back of the removed door gaurds for clearcoat chips or residue. But I have deffinately seen faded paint alot worse than that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The lighting is really really really bad in the pics, so everything is matched, except for under the guards, and it sounds exactly like sunny describes it. My dad bought the car with 9k on it(I was just given it recently) and the original owner probably had it keyed, scratched, etc. The lazyass bodyshop never did it right, and now i get to pay. grr. Any approximate estimates for 2 doors? I was guessing about 200 a door from a reputable shop. My first "mod" goes bad, I hope it gets better than this down the road :swearin:

I was also going to say that the paint either faded or you pulled the clear off with the adhesive on the door gaurds, maybe try looking on the back of the removed door gaurds for clearcoat chips or residue. But I have deffinately seen faded paint alot worse than that.
[/b]
but the other side is PERFECT... :sigh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The lighting is really really really bad in the pics, so everything is matched, except for under the guards, and it sounds exactly like sunny describes it. My dad bought the car with 9k on it(I was just given it recently) and the original owner probably had it keyed, scratched, etc. The lazyass bodyshop never did it right, and now i get to pay. grr. Any approximate estimates for 2 doors? I was guessing about 200 a door from a reputable shop. My first "mod" goes bad, I hope it gets better than this down the road :swearin:
but the other side is PERFECT... :sigh:
[/b]
It could have been sitting somewhere parked near a house, in a carport, or something so that the paint only faded on one side. It really looks more to me like paint fading very much than it being repainted, though both are possibilities I suppose... and both require bodyshop work. Sorry for your misfortune.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I guess this would be the time i would try and get a carfax report just to make sure it wasnt actually damaged worse then just getting keyed. Maybe you can get some vinyl on it, haha.

If its just a clear coat vs non, can they apply clear coat just on that area and fade the edges out? I dont know...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wash it and wax. Your car is dirty in the pics and if you wash it the paint might actually match.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its a clean carfax. the car is so filthy its disgusting, i will take a better look tomorrow after a wash. The reason I think its been repainted vs. fading, is because there is a slight indentation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts