Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondring if can add my xm radio to the stock hu, i know that sirius can be done but i wasnt sure about

xm...i already have xm and paying for it so i fig i would put it in the speed.... please let me know..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
to use XM with stock HU:
1. AuxMod
2. AudioLink iPod or USB
3. FM Mod
4. other aux-in

i'm running XM Helixs in both my 6s. one runs through the delphi external FM modulator and the other through the AudioLink-USB. honestly, i can't really tell too big of a difference in sound quality. if i had it to do over again, i'd save the money and buy another FM modulator instead of the AL.

if you're looking to use the stock display you'll have to go with the dawg.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to use XM with stock HU:
1. AuxMod
2. AudioLink iPod or USB
3. FM Mod
4. other aux-in

i'm running XM Helixs in both my 6s. one runs through the delphi external FM modulator and the other through the AudioLink-USB. honestly, i can't really tell too big of a difference in sound quality. if i had it to do over again, i'd save the money and buy another FM modulator instead of the AL.

if you're looking to use the stock display you'll have to go with the dawg.
[/b]
would it just be easier to use sirius? if so which tuner would i have to buy?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you want to use the stock lcd & HU, you must buy the OEM kit from the dealer, or one of the sponsors on this forum. i think it goes for about $300.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you want to use the stock lcd & HU, you must buy the OEM kit from the dealer, or one of the sponsors on this forum. i think it goes for about $300.
[/b]
what!?!?! there has to be a was to make it work with the stock lcd...grrr $300 what a rip!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
personally, i couldn't go with the OEM unit for two major reasons:
1. cost, what a waste, you can buy a high end aftermarket unit for less
2. display, one line, 8 characters at a time. i like many multi-lined, color LCD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
personally, i couldn't go with the OEM unit for two major reasons:
1. cost, what a waste, you can buy a high end aftermarket unit for less
2. display, one line, 8 characters at a time. i like many multi-lined, color LCD
[/b]

I used to think that.

1st unit was FM modulation, and used a cig lighter spot. FM modulation is ass. 1st you miss out on deep base, and clear midrange. 2nd every single freaking FM spot has a station here in LA or is overlapping into clear channels. 3rd, you have to change the FM channel if you drive anywhere outside your area, there is sure to be a FM station on your channel.

Then you have to mount or hide the sat unit somewhere. I hate having crap clutter my dash, especially stuff that doesn't look like it's supposed to be there. If you hide the unit, you then have to fumble around just to change the channels.

2nd unit I did the AUXMOD, and hardwire power. This was a solid solution, but it was still a PITA to go through channels or to see the display. Hardwiring the sound (auxmod) is 10x better than FM modulation.

I finally had enough fumbling around with the unit to change channels and bought the Mazda Sirius unit.

It's freaking great to have the entire unit HIDDEN and fully functional. I love being able to use the factory preset buttons. The sound is even better than the AUXMOD. I don't need to know the channel #, station name, time, signal strength, band name, song title. Just the band name is enough for me, and the display will show that just fine, if it's a long name, you just have to turn the right knob and it scrolls the whole name.

It does suck that it's $300 for the unit, but for me it's the best solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a sportster replay and just bought that little siriusone one liner on ebay for like $15 . mounted it in the center pop up compartment. looks perfect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you guys go the FM Modulation route, get one of these. My friend has the Sirius one and without this it was horrible.

http://www.ambientweather.com/db14110.html

This switches the antenna so it blocks out the outside antenna when the sirius is on. Makes for a lot less static and much better sound quality.

I personally agree with the factory solution being the best sound wise and so much less clutter. It would be nice to have a better display but its not necessary in the end. Too bad the factory unit is so pricey but I picked it up and had it installed and am very happy with it. If you can install it yourself, 300 isnt that bad. Remember that if you get the factory unit, you do not have to pay for activation and 1st 6months of service so mabey that will offset some of the 300 cost. 6 months of service is at least 60 or so dollars.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm running my helix through the AL-USB. it's got great sound, color LCD, built in mp3/wma/xm recorder. i love it. i've had several various xm/sirius units since november 01. this is my favorite by far. the sound quality isn't going to get better using the stock HU. the AL inputs through the same 16 pin the OEM reciever uses. total cost: AL-$120, Helix (w/home kit) $220, car kit $70= $410 oh, i also listen to it on the go, take it in the office to listen on one home kit, and into the house with the other. the battery is good for about 5 hours. it's capable of recording live xm. it's gone on trips and works great off the little integrated antenna.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts