Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really want to get one of the 2 for my car, but not sure witch one. i had a rental about 2 weeks ago that had sirius in it, so i got to play around with that for a few days. had alot of good stations, sound quality was failry good, not cd quality. but the one thing i didnt like was if i was in a tunnel or driving down a road with alot of trees over hanging the radio would cut out. i havnt had a chance to use xm yet, so dont know of many pros and cons of it. so i was kinda hoping some of you guys could help me out.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
it all comes down to programming. i love my XM. i've had XM since November 2001, and have had it in every car since. i love it so much i've bought it as gifts for several people.

in 2002 i bought sirius for my folks. they like the programming over there. maybe it's a generational thing, they're boomers & i'm a gen-x'er.

i'm sure you'll find a bais towards sirius here, as it's an option on mazda, but my vote is whole-heartedly going towards XM.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've had both, and I very much prefer sirius. I love Howard and Bubba, but also the programming IMO is much better on Sirius. Like he said, it all comes down to personal preference as far as the programming goes, but my vote is definitely for Sirius.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i think i'm going to get XM, the programming seems to be the same to me between the two, but right now XM came out with a portable player with an antenna...which sirius doesn't have

·
Registered
184 Posts
i think i'm going to get XM, the programming seems to be the same to me between the two, but right now XM came out with a portable player with an antenna...which sirius doesn't have
[/b]
Hold on there. The XM portable unit works like shit. Read the reviews, very bad reception. Sirius is coming out with the S50 this summer which is a portable player with built in hard drive for storage of radio, mp3's, or whatever you want. Basically an IPOD with sat radio in one unit................and why would you get sat radio without Howard Stern. Don't tell me you want to pay an extra buck to listen to Dopey and Anthony ?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have this for the home, you can get the unit off ebay and for cheap. I think for about 80 bucks with rebate. I like it a lot, you have to face the anetenna south. Its NOT good as a portable, tried it and very difficult to pick up a signal. I would advise to buy as home unit or work unit only.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the s50 is portable so long as it's in your car. find a review or two. it just plain sucks. check out the "inno" the s50 doesn't even come close. i'm not surprised that the old XM to-go units weren't very good, but they did come out 18 months before the sirius portable units.
from cnet:
s50-
"The bottom line: The Sirius S50 is a compact and attractive satellite radio player, but users must learn to live within its limitations. It's best for car commuters who occasionally want a portable unit. If you want live satellite streaming on the go, you'll need the Delphi MyFi XM2Go or Pioneer's Airware XM2Go, which work with XM satellite radio." (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sirius_S50/4505-78...-31629417.html)
inno-
The bottom line: The Pioneer Inno is compact, gets great reception, and lets you enjoy live satellite audio and your own tracks on the go. Better battery life and more storage would make this XM portable even better.(http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_Inno_XM/45...-31824917.html)

both cost $12.95 a month. no offense, but howard hasn't been funny since 1995. he and bubba just plain blow.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hold on there. The XM portable unit works like shit. Read the reviews, very bad reception. Sirius is coming out with the S50 this summer which is a portable player with built in hard drive for storage of radio, mp3's, or whatever you want. Basically an IPOD with sat radio in one unit................and why would you get sat radio without Howard Stern. Don't tell me you want to pay an extra buck to listen to Dopey and Anthony ?
[/b]
Yeah the S50 would be good if you could pick up a station without plugging it in...how portable is that??? when it's not plugged in, it's just a mp3 player, the Inno owns it, has every function PLUS an antenna ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had sirius for over 2 years on my old car. My father-in-law has XM which I have listened to on numerous long distance driving trips. Sirius is better an every way. Sirius has better channels, I preferred the talk stations on sirius over XM, and, this may be a moot point to most people, but the DJs on sirius are awesome. Call me biased or whatever, but from my experience with the two, I prefer Sirius.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if it;s money issue, just call XM, and tell them you are looking to get sirius....lol...they will bend over backwards to get you to go to XM...some have said $3/month...lol...

they are getting trounced by sirius. (long live howard)
"we speak your names..."....lol...

(sirius is better though, that was the initial question right?)

-Fusion-

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
sirius...100% comercial free music.

That and howard stern

Seriously howard is just about the funniest thing and artie nearly gives me a heart attack every day i go into work his show is about 100X better on satalite

plus the Sirius sport replay comes super close to fitting in the front ashtray space...just needs a little dremeling before the door will close

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
they are getting trounced by sirius. (long live howard)
"we speak your names..."....lol...
[/b]
are you high right now? XM has 2 million more subs.

sirius...100% comercial free music.
[/b]
okay, and? XM has 69 commercial free music channels, more than sirius.

plus the Sirius sport replay comes super close to fitting in the front ashtray space...just needs a little dremeling before the door will close
[/b]
sirius hardware just plan sucks. the only decent setup is the one from DEI.

if you're looking for good, small unit that actually fits in the ashtray, without modification, look at the XM Sportscaster.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
im sorry sir, what was xm's stock doing all last week? dying. that company is ridden chock full of problems, just read all the news on wallstreet. sirius has been outsubscribing them since this year began. xm will be trounced.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
im sorry sir, what was xm's stock doing all last week? dying. that company is ridden chock full of problems, just read all the news on wallstreet. sirius has been outsubscribing them since this year began. xm will be trounced.
[/b]
okay, again? back in january, i seem to recall howard talking about all the subs he was going to bring to sirius. where are they? where are Howard Stern's 29 million listeners? he's missed his goals for new sub adds, then says he doesn't need them, if they're unwilling to pay the subscription.

stock?
XM-$14.56
Sirius-$4.49

subs?
XM-6.5M
Sirius-4M

cost per subscriber acquisition?
XM-$62
Sirius-$113

both lose money. neither has turned a profit yet. i wouldn't call that a "trouncing"

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
There is probably 1 person responsible for XM still being around and his name is Jonathan Jacoby. If it wasn't for him gushing over XM, the company would be done. A board member publicly quit, Panero uses the companies' stock as his personal piggy bank, and there are more lawsuits pending than people have fingers. Good stuff.

Lets take a look at Sirius. Mel Karmazin came out of retirement to run the company. His track record in the radio industry is very impressive. He is wealthy to begin with, he doesn't need to work but chose Sirius. CBS sued Sirius over the Howard Stern deal and what was the result? Sirius paid $2m for 20 years worth of Stern's morning show. Oh yeah, CBS originally wanted $50m for the rights. Funny stuff.

When you lay out money for a radio, you are investing in the company. No radio works with both services without an add-on.

stock?
XM-$14.56
Sirius-$4.49[/b]
Close the browser window and walk away since you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Close the browser window and walk away since you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.
[/b]
lucky for all of us there's plenty i don't know about.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You can't compare share pricing. If Sirius wanted to increase its share price, it can offer a reverse split. A reverse split would decrease the amount of shares outstanding thus increasing your price per share. Multiply shares outstanding by your pps and you'll get what is called Market Capitalization. Market Capitalization is the value of the company on the open market.

Hey, now you learned something... ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
17 Participants
5isiX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing