Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up all...

I have a 2009 Mazda 6. I have the comfort pack which comes with the projector headlights... im thinking of getting xenon blue... and my friend said projectors and xenon uses the same balace.... im not sure if that is correct but i want to hear your opinion.

Where can i get good xenon bulbs but for somewhat affordable price.... also thinking about some fog lights.... guys give me all your thoughts....

Thanks.....

·
Registered
658 Posts
QUOTE (djrimz @ Feb 23 2010, 02:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638894
What up all...

I have a 2009 Mazda 6. I have the comfort pack which comes with the projector headlights... im thinking of getting xenon blue... and my friend said projectors and xenon uses the same balace.... im not sure if that is correct but i want to hear your opinion.

Where can i get good xenon bulbs but for somewhat affordable price.... also thinking about some fog lights.... guys give me all your thoughts....

Thanks.....[/b]
you can use the same BALAST if you want and change out the bulbs. you should do a search, this has been covered. and do some research, output is by tempeature, oem bulbs being 4300k producing the maximum output, but that is not blue.

there is no xenon blue, i'd suggest looking at some chart that displays color, e.g.

and you can do 3000k in the fogs but it would be yellow.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm a little confused as to what you're saying. Projectors are the housing for the light bulbs, and all Mazda6s have projectors. Most have halogen projectors, but some have HID projectors. Are you saying that you have HID projectors, meaning that you have OEM HIDs?

If you already have HIDs, you can just change the bulb for a color change. You will need D2S bulbs. If you don't already have HIDs, you'll need a complete plug and play kit.

For a deep blue, you'll want something like 8000k or 10000k. However, you should know that light output decreases as the light gets more blue. I don't recommend getting anything over 6000k. 6000k will be white with some blue in it while still retaining a good amount of light output.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have oem hids, would getting a 55w ballast increase output? or would swapping out the bulbs for 6k suffice?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have oem hids, would getting a 55w ballast increase output? or would swapping out the bulbs for 6k suffice?
i did both. i swapped to a 55w ballast and went to 6k and its been great for me. if you were to just upgrade to 55w ballast there would be a light increase.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yes, swapping to a 55w ballast would increase output. Just know that color washes out with 55w ballasts, so if you wanted the same blue as a 35w 6000k kit, you'd need to get an 8000k 55w kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i did both. i swapped to a 55w ballast and went to 6k and its been great for me. if you were to just upgrade to 55w ballast there would be a light increase.

did you opt for a slim ballast or was a regular one able to fit. how was the install? did you have to remove the bumper? and where did you mount the ballast?

·
Registered
658 Posts
i removed the bumper. others have done it w/o removing it by removing the fender but im a big guy so i needed my room hah. i bought the slim ballast. 3 sets. lows high and fogs. i would not suggest getting hids for the highs though simply because if you need to flash someone it takes a few seconds to warm up.

i mounted one ballast on the inner wall. there was a 10mm bolt that needed to be removed and reattached with the ballast and then i double-sided taped and zip tied two ballasts under each headlight. plenty of room!

lemme know if i can be any help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still trying to figure out if i have Xenon's or not, what can i do to figure it out.

Also have been researching on how to take the bulbs out and have heard they are a PITA, any tips on how to do it properly and with least bit of frustration possible. Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
i forgot if this applys to the 09 or not but i went to mazdausa.com and built a car, only the grand touring versions either 4 cyl or 6 cyl have available xenon's. hopes that helps

·
Registered
95 Posts
Alright so I dont know if you have the xenon setup already and just want to change the color like it did. But if you do all you have to do is get a bulb. On ddmtuning.com they are not like 20 bucks or something really cheap. Then if you want to hook up your foglights you can buy the HID kit for like 30 bucks. I did that with my car, just changed out my headlights and added the HID fogs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's possible to install HID without removing the bumper. Im back from a friend tuning car shop and we did the install. You just need to turn the wheels when you remove the plastic clips and turn again the wheels on the other side when you ply a bit the inside plastic fender.. We did it in 1.5 hrs without being fast. The major issue is to figure out how to remove the clips and get acces to the bulb. On the driver side we stick the ballast on the fuse box near the batt, on the other side we stick the ballast on the side of the headlight. 5000k 35W looks pretty good, lots of light, the cutoff is perfect, with a bluish line at the cutoff. I know that some people here said that you can't get a clean cutoff and get efficient light without getting OEM HID headlights, but guess what? I got a clean cutoff, lots of light, no glare. Im really happy with the result. It looks OEM and it cost me $50.

Reactions: seatosky83

·
Registered
45 Posts
... I know that some people here said that you can't get a clean cutoff and get efficient light without getting OEM HID headlights, but guess what? I got a clean cutoff, lots of light, no glare. Im really happy with the result. It looks OEM and it cost me $50.
Glad to hear that! :) I keep wanting to get HID install, but wasn't sure if the cut-off's gonna be good enough. Care to show a few pic showing the cut-offs? Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Since my gf's cam seems to be dead (yesterday I try to take pics without sucess), I wasnt able to take some pics. Tonight when I went back to the grocery store,I was in front of a gray fence so I took few pics with my iPhone, It's better then nothing but it doesnt show how great it is. Since I was at 20,30 feets, the cutoff is clean and over the cutoff you see the rectangular light shape slightly upward to illuminate road signs (it really works well, yesterday I try it on a very dark highway and the road sign were very visible).

I took 5000K 35W DDM raptor, but it looks more bluish then I tough it would be. Im sure I read somewhere that after few weeks the light will be more white, less bluish..is it true? ANyway for $50 CAN with shipping Im happy! Next time I would maybe try 55W but I was scared to blind people and to melt my headlights. I will take more pics when I will get a working cam, I would like to show the blue cutoff shade. Unlike my friend 3, his cutoff is clean but like a rainbow, mine is blue, almost purple from very far. Now my fogs looks yellowish compare to the HID..But if I put 5000k or 3000K HID in fogs , I will be a target for cops here...mmm

Anyway there is the pics, comments?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tonight I was driving around my city to find a perfect white wall so I could take pics of my HID...when I found the wall and was about to take my first pic, a cop went in the parking looking at me, so I waited 1 min and he was staying not too far..so I choose to left and find a quiet spot,but he follow me for 5 mins until I went to a corner store to buy something so he would stop to follow me..hehe stupid cop in my city they love to follow people and find something to give you ticket. So After that I went back home but I took few pics in my parking and in front of a garage door. I hope to be able to take more pics soon, not a sunday night because cops are suspicious when it's late and it's sunday I guess hehe

Like you can see, the cutoff show a blue line..very cool from far

·
Registered
658 Posts
Im sure I read somewhere that after few weeks the light will be more white, less bluish..is it true?
i think after the initial burn it period it should be more whiter. i have no experience with 5k but i did notice with my 8ks they got bluer and 6ks got more white.

Next time I would maybe try 55W but I was scared to blind people and to melt my headlights.
i love my 55w over my 35w that i had in my previous car. distance does travel further but do note with 55w the color is a little washed out when compared.

But if I put 5000k or 3000K HID in fogs , I will be a target for cops here...mmm
def. gotta put 5ks into the fogs. its gotta be matching! however if you do decide to do 3k (yellows) i think that could be considered legal since you could put a non-hid in there if you wanted... duno how CAD law is compared to USA.

anyway looks good bud! keep up the good work!

·
Registered
181 Posts
That looks great for a simple plug and play kit. The beam looks identical to halogen, the light squirrel finder boxes are also present on the halogen bulbs. FOr less than $100, I may have to give this a shot.
Who makes the best, hands down most reliable plug and play set up? I saw the link to the Phillips for $300, and *if* they are actually the best, most reliable ones, it would be worth the extra cabbage. I hate doing a mod, and then having to re-do it again, and again. (Hint: stay away from McLeod master cylinders for a clutch! )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts