Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Np. I just mentioned it because my friend was in an accident about a year ago. Waiting to turn left but rear ended by someone who wasn't paying attention at about 20-25mph. He had a different car but the force was enough to pop out his console. Nothing major, just a sore neck and bent spare tire well. It's just something to look into just in case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quick question, How much more work would it be to take out the top map compartment, drill a hole to run the xcarlink down into the radio? Would I just have to take out the 2 screws above the radio?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I believe so but don't quote me on that.

I also wouldn't use the map compartment because it gets relatively hot up there on the dash. My Xcarlink is run to the top compartment of the armrest so it's easy access for me.

Reactions: tdrusk

·
Super Moderator
17,971 Posts
I believe so but don't quote me on that.

I also wouldn't use the map compartment because it gets relatively hot up there on the dash. My Xcarlink is run to the top compartment of the armrest so it's easy access for me.
Going to chime in here with a +1 on the top compartment getting relatively hot, potentially causing problems.

It's doable, but it may cause problems if it ever gets really hot out, unlikely but possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great replies guys. Currently it is under my cup holder. I really wanted access to the box, but it wouldn't reach from the back of the radio to my center console. if it is fine where it is(heat, other variable-wise) I will just leave it there.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well I guess it depends on where you live. If you live up north maybe you won't have a problem but here in the south it gets hot. I keep a pen in pencil with my little book up there and whenever I fill up and write down the mileage, the book and pen are hot so I wouldn't attempt it if you live in a warm climate.

You could put it in the glove box if that's easier or if it was me, I'd maybe put it above my feet somewhere under the dash or put it in the little change holder or whatever that thing is next to the cig lighter under the stereo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I guess it depends on where you live. If you live up north maybe you won't have a problem but here in the south it gets hot. I keep a pen in pencil with my little book up there and whenever I fill up and write down the mileage, the book and pen are hot so I wouldn't attempt it if you live in a warm climate.

You could put it in the glove box if that's easier or if it was me, I'd maybe put it above my feet somewhere under the dash or put it in the little change holder or whatever that thing is next to the cig lighter under the stereo.
I'm in the south too. I guess I'll just leave it where it is and run a longer cable out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installing today...

Having mine installed tonight in my '05 Maza6 HB. Where do most people put the unit? I need relatively easy access to it as I plan to use it with both my Iphone 4 as well as my XM Roady 2, which is mounted over the ashtray. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have my cable running out of the armrest.
I just leave my iPhone on my passenger seat.
Wanted to buy a mount, but might give thieves something to break I'm for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did mine last night (it started raining halfway though lol). It was a breeze. It took me maybe 30 to do. I need to go back and do a thorough cleaning though... Freaking dog hair SMH. Thanks to OP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
xcarlink

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the xcarlink works with bose 6disc changer in a 2004? I have been told that the 2004 models require soldering on the circuit board on some panasonic head units but no mention of Bose. Also if can use fine will I still be able to use the cd changer as well or is it one or the other?

Any help on this much appreciated.

Ben

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes you will most likely need to do the L716 modification for the xcarlink. It may be possible that your head unit does not need the modification but plan to do it if you go with the xcarlink or a similar product that plugs into the same port in the back of the head unit.

I have a 2004 with Bose headunit, I needed to do the L716 modification.

The Xcarlink unit will not affect the CD player usage. You will still be able to use the cd functions, I have the same exact setup, as do others, and it works fine.

Reactions: benapps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool thanks. Mine was actually registered in early 2005 so might get away with it depends on when built i suppose. Glad works ok with cd though still.

Ben

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Cool thanks. Mine was actually registered in early 2005 so might get away with it depends on when built i suppose. Glad works ok with cd though still.

Ben
You might be lucky. Mine was built in late 03' and sent out for sale in 04' from the vehicle history report.

If you are set on the xcarlink (I really like mine because you can control the iPhone from the steering wheel and charge), then I would plan on the mod but I would first plug the unit in and verify if it works or not before doing the mod. If you really want to be sure, open the headunit and look at the board (you'll need to take the hu out of the car, flip it over, open it up and check for a bridge at that point) and if the bridge is there it should work.

From helping people on this forum, I'm pretty sure the mod is limited to most 04's in the US and then late 03's to early 04's elsewhere so maybe you're ok.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I went on amazon and got the headphone jack adapter. As my girl runs a droid and I have an iphone. 15 bucks to get the adapter. I have a usb charger in the car as well. Really simple, a must do for any mazda(not worth the 200 @ bestbuy installed).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Installed xcarlink w/bluetooth last weekend. The instructions were a big help. I only found a dime under the console.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I installed this in my MS6 recently & it will only read the first 10 playlists on my iPod and the screen only goes from 1-10 on the song numbers.

Can I not access the rest of my playlists via the XCarLink?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really eager to buy this ipod adapter after seeing all the threads about it, but the xcarlink seems to be available at both therpmstore and carlinkdirect. I own a 2008 Mazda6i, and I live in Canada.

From what I can see on their site, the carlinkdirect product looks different from RPM's (it also has an auxiliary in). Also, some photos of it show both the ipod adapter and an audio cable in one... Is it as long as the RPM store version? Can it also be installed under the cupholders into the arm rest storage area?

Not sure which one to buy, so any help/advice is appreciated!

Anyone know where to buy this/if its still available?

121 - 140 of 145 Posts