Mazda 6 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am looking at this product also...Can the usb version be used for the ipod also? I have an ipod and an android phone. I would like to be able to use both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FWIW I have a single disc player and I can still use it...just have to tap the CD button once to switch it back. Seems to be ok! I figure since the CD selection controls are separate in that state the kit shouldn't affect it's operation.
I have a 2006 with the in-dash changer and it still works with the XCarLink installed and hooked up to an iPhone 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I finally bought one!

I had the problem with the left side speakers of my car cutting out when I first got it and so made the garage buy me a new one. I have the '04 Mazda 6 so I got a '05 HU to try to get over having to do the mod...

... Which was an epic fail. So a friend of mine, who has a steadier hand, and a soldering iron got to work taking the unit apart.

Took us about 2 1/2 hours start to finish, found the following link:
http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/6-626-how-tos/205-ipod-adaptor-installation-mazda6.html
Which was really helpful to start with, but we seemed to have to take alot more screws out than the write up suggests. Put it back together (that's what took the time - we hadn't paid enough attention whilst taking it apart, but there are only 4 different sized screws - Nothing left over at the end so result!)

Unit is working great! Have a bit of buzz (using an iPhone 3) but unplugging it, and plugging it back in seems to help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Are you Able to control your iphone by the steering wheel Control ?
Not sure if the steering wheel controls work with the iPhone, but they work to control the iPod. It just has to be on the right setting.

Depending on the setting you can control via the radio or the iPod itself. I would ASSUME its the same for the iPhone, but her car is still at the bodyshop so I cant check to verify for you.

Still happy to see this writeup is helping everyone!! :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you Able to control your iphone by the steering wheel Control ?
You can skip to the next track using the music player (iPod) on an iPhone and can skip tracks in music programs like Pandora, etc, if that's what you're asking. It has to be connected through the actual iPhone hookup and not the audio auxiliary jack, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After playing with it for a few weeks, I am really pleased with it, but if I am playing playlist 11 or 12 (shows as 1 or 2 on the display), after disconnecting my iphone from the car, and reconnecting a short time later (going to the shops for example), it will finish playing the song it was on, but then skip over to playlist 1 or 2. Weird. Anyone else have this problem?

Using an iphone 3g and have a non-bose 6CD changer (that I had to solder).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smartphone Friendly?

My question is similar to evilwrx's :

I am looking at this product also...Can the usb version be used for the ipod also? I have an ipod and an android phone. I would like to be able to use both.
Do smartphones (iphone 4s & Android) work with the USB plug? And is there steering wheel control with them?

First car: 2007 Mazda 6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone PLEASE tell me if the xcarlink will work with the 6 cd changer AND Sirrius radio. I've asked before but have never received an answer.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No it won't. The xcarlink and similar units plug into the port for the Sirius radio so you'd have to choose one or the other. The auxmod is probably your best option to give you a 3.5mm plug in.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i'd like to know if on the bose systems with 6disk i'd still be able to use these 6 discs or are they connected to where the xcarlink should be attached?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You'd still be able to use it. The cd player is built into the hu whereas the xcarlink, or similar unit, plugs into a port on the back of the head unit. You would not be able to use the Sirius radio though (if you had it) because it plugs into the same port the xcarlink uses.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a question will the xcarlink work with a 2003 mazda 6 luxury sports AUSTRALIAN verision (thats LHD) without the L716 mod
There's no guarantee. It may work, it may not. I think you'd be safe as long as the car wasn't produced towards the end of 03". I was made aware of one case where a 03" required the L716 jump but I do not remember the country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well guys I have just set up my Xcarlink. It took about 2 hours because I am picky and had some little road bumps. everything is back together now and nothing broke on the install!

Here is my review for the product.
This product works great as a way for me to plug my ipod into my mazda 6 through a 1/8th inch jack. This is exactly what I wanted since I rockboxed my ipod.

First the goods:
The quality of the sound is just as I would have expected: as good as a line in on an aftermarket stereo. You can't get much better than this.

The bads:
* i think I was sent the wrong xcarlink. The one in the picture has a line in hole for a 1/8th inch jack. This was perfect for me, since if the cable ever went bad I could easily replace it. Unfortunately I was sent the one with the tiny usb line in instead of a 1/8th inch jack. This still works, but now I have to buy a 1/8th inch female to 1/8th inch male cable to use my ipod since the cable supplied isn't long enough.

* The length of the cable that connects to the back of the radio could be longer. If it was longer it would reach from my radio to my center console. This is what I wanted, but instead I had to bury the xcarlink under my cup holders. This works fine and still allows me to do what I want, just not as perfect as I would have wanted.

Before you do this to your car read some how-tos for pulling apart your car. Even with my how tos I still found that my car had some slight differences. Just be careful and don't break anything. Your goal is to make your car better. I feel like my install was made a little easier since I think one of the previous owners of my car had already done this. Kudos to them!
Anyway, I found my car was a little different than the 2006/2005 description in the original post. I have a 2005 Mazda 6i 4cyl 5-speed manual.

I believe my car has been taken apart from a similar mod or even the same mod.

I was missing the brass bolt behind the glove box. I am not too sad about this and realize that it is probably under the dash somewhere.

I have screws under my ac knobs.

I did not have to take any bolts out under the cigarette lighter. I think these are just missing....

I found something under my cup holder too...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
LOL nice find!

Screws under the ac knobs are for manual climate controls, auto climate doesn't have the screws and just pulls out. It should be in some of the how-to's but not all. Some people end up breaking the knobs because they don't know screws are there.

Yea you're just missing the two screws on the bottom and the screw behind the unit near the glove box. I'd try and find screws to replace them just in case maybe you get in an accident and the force is strong enough for the console to come out.

Reactions: tdrusk

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL nice find!

Screws under the ac knobs are for manual climate controls, auto climate doesn't have the screws and just pulls out. It should be in some of the how-to's but not all. Some people end up breaking the knobs because they don't know screws are there.

Yea you're just missing the two screws on the bottom and the screw behind the unit near the glove box. I'd try and find screws to replace them just in case maybe you get in an accident and the force is strong enough for the console to come out.
Good point. I will look into those.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts