Mazda 6 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got the xcarlink in today with the bluetooth, has anyone installed with bluetooth yet? looking for a good way to run the mic to the console?? I have an 07 mazda6s. Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just installed my car link today and I'm loving it, I kind of wish that the display would read out with the song name, but hey we can't have it all.

Really loving the ability to use steering wheel controls though, thanks RPM. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just got the xcarlink in today with the bluetooth, has anyone installed with bluetooth yet? looking for a good way to run the mic to the console?? I have an 07 mazda6s. Thanks!
well, i never tried that, since i had ma aftermarket lcd taking care of this, i installed the one without not so far ago, but hey, the pretty good place to run the cable is by the gear knob. its a lot of space down there ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got everything installed on sat! Ran the mic cord behind the column by the steering wheel and put the mic in corner by windshield. Tested with a call and they could hear me perfectly, likewise it came through the radio flawlessly.
The only problem i had was the cord for the ipod hookup was a little short and does not give me a lot of slack when plugging the ipod in directly. i have it ran through the compartment in dash.
Also when playing music through Bluetooth there is just a little static with some of the highs but nothing too noticeable, i guess im just a perfectionist. Anyone know of issues with this or anything to help the Bluetooth reception? Like i said its nothing that is crazy bad but just a little noticeable that is not as good as plugged in.
One last flaw is the error message on the phone when plugged into the dock connector. It tells me it is not optimized for call usage and will not charge. However i does charge and works fine for calls. Has anybody been able to disable this message??

This is a great product for the price and i am extremely glad i bought it, minus a couple flaws i highly recommend it! Also the customer service guys are great and send quick replies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
glad it works fine with ya. i dunno about the phone thing, hope someone out there tried it and can give a hint

·
Registered
43 Posts
any suggestions for getting the cup holders out? im scared of braking them by using too much force :(

·
Registered
671 Posts
Requires quite a bit of force to get the cup holders out especially if it has never been done before to your car. Just follow the instructions precisely and it will come out with enough force without breaking anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
any suggestions for getting the cup holders out? im scared of braking them by using too much force :(
begin from the arm pad side, just few inches away, using a slotted screwdriver, it will pop out like dominos later on, and it gets easier the more ya keep doing it

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just open to cup holder & pull on the back end by the arm rest & Ebrake & it pops right out. Dint pull on the moving top cover if the cup holders.

I take it out frequently to check a loose nut on my TWM SS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
got it all hooked up and sounds great when playing songs... however when its just plugged in with no song playing and in songs that are silent at some point i get static. its an ipod touch, common problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really eager to buy this ipod adapter after seeing all the threads about it, but the xcarlink seems to be available at both therpmstore and carlinkdirect. I own a 2008 Mazda6i, and I live in Canada.

From what I can see on their site, the carlinkdirect product looks different from RPM's (it also has an auxiliary in). Also, some photos of it show both the ipod adapter and an audio cable in one... Is it as long as the RPM store version? Can it also be installed under the cupholders into the arm rest storage area?

Not sure which one to buy, so any help/advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
More related info

Adding some info based on doing this procedure today.
I'm in Ireland, have a 2005 Mazda 6.

1. Remember to cover gearstick head to avoid scratching front of headunit

I suggest either putting back on the top of the gearstick, or else putting a towel or something on top. Sadly I put a few nice scratches on the mine before learning this the hard way.

2. Help removing cup holder

This is a right pain. But I noticed that I could see the clips on one side - when the lid of the cupholder is about half open, you can look through a gap in the side of the cup holder that is normally hidden by the lid.
I pushed/pulled these 3 clips with a flathead screwdriver and managed to free that side. After that, the other side freed up pretty easily and then the bit around the gearstick was very easy.

I think this slot in the cupholder is probable how the $50 / membership cards got under cupholders of previous contributors. Beware.

3. My XCarLink didn't work when I connected it so I figured that maybe my 05 Mazda might need the mod for 04 head unit. So I disassembled the head unit - only to find that my headunit has a totally different PCB layout.

But I did find 2 things that might be useful to the next person:

A. another set of instructions for doing this job, including links and some info on disassembling the headunit:
iPod adaptor installation on Mazda6

B. I took photos of each stage of disassembly and kept the removed screws in order. Without them I would not have been able to put it back together.

HU disassembly was very daunting but I did manage to get it all back together working & with no extra bits left over.

Following link has info on how to see if you need to mod your 2004 HU:
Support - L716 Modification
Summary: try connecting CarXLink without mod, great if it works, else mod probably needed.

Finally, my problem is that my car came with an integrated 6-CD changer in the HU. This no longer works - spits out all CDs - so I planned to use my iPhone for music instead. But the HU won't recognize the iPhone - even though I removed the internal CD player when reassembling my HU.

I guess now I will have to try to get a used HU, or possibly try an AuxMod
Sylfex
That would be a shame though compared with the functionality of the XCarLink. O dear.

Thanks to earlier contributors for the info in this thread.

Dave D.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Install was a snap!

I put my XCarlink in Saturday morning. It took about 45 minutes total. I bought a holder from Pro Clip .

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and it works flawlessly with both the iPod and Pandora. I also bought the GPS drive nav app and it works great!

I know that $70 seems high for a mount, but I am very happy with the location and the quality of the hardware. It is very easy to use and minimizes the distraction when using the map.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put my XCarlink in Saturday morning. It took about 45 minutes total. I bought a holder from Pro Clip .

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and it works flawlessly with both the iPod and Pandora. I also bought the GPS drive nav app and it works great!
$70 to mount an iPhone?

Take pics please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Installed the USB unit today. A little disappointed that I can't charge my ipod and play at the same time, but I wanted the ability to plug anything in and play music, so I didn't get the ipod one. Things I noticed from this install:

Don't be afraid to pull a little when taking out the console. Mine definitely took some work.

I couldn't seem to run the cables like the OP did, so I ran it into the glovebox. It works just as well there. The cable that comes with the USB version is pretty thin, so I can run with the box closed, and with the ipod laying nicely next to the cig lighter.

Awesome part, awesome write up, took me about 40 mins. SO WORTH IT.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I know that $70 seems high for a mount, but I am very happy with the location and the quality of the hardware. It is very easy to use and minimizes the distraction when using the map.
which holder did you go with?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Installed the USB unit today. A little disappointed that I can't charge my ipod and play at the same time, but I wanted the ability to plug anything in and play music, so I didn't get the ipod one. Things I noticed from this install:

Don't be afraid to pull a little when taking out the console. Mine definitely took some work.

I couldn't seem to run the cables like the OP did, so I ran it into the glovebox. It works just as well there. The cable that comes with the USB version is pretty thin, so I can run with the box closed, and with the ipod laying nicely next to the cig lighter.

Awesome part, awesome write up, took me about 40 mins. SO WORTH IT.
I was going to go to the glovebox at first, then the top console above the radio, but eventually I figured it would be easier to control from the center console. What was keeping you from going though that way? Just curious.

Well I'm happy to see that the writeup has helped everyone and even made it as a sticky!

My gf's is still working just as good as the day I put it in. I unplug her ipod and plug in mine every time we take her car and no issues whatsoever. Well, except for the fact that she gets pissed off that I do that. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed mine tonight and nothing. The display doesnt come up at all, but I know there is power since the iphone is charging. Any ideas?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did you press CD 2X. Mine doesn't charge NY iPhone. It pops up an error code saying it doesn't charge or something like that.
My steering wheel functions work with iPod & Pandora.
Up & down to scroll through songs, well Pandora doesn't allow you to scroll back.

61 - 80 of 145 Posts