Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me how a shutdown controller works and how it's hooked up, I want to put a Mac Mini or Xbox runnning XBMC, but I want it to beable to have it beable to stay on when the car is turned off and then either shutdown (Mac Mini) or power off (Xbox) at a set time later.

Anyone do this and have some tips?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Look for a Carnetix CNX-P1900, its designed with the Mac Mini in mind, they also sell a "Mac Pac" wiring kit, so you don't have to cut your wiring co,rd, I've got one of each. It monitors your ignition wire and turns the mac on off, the shutdown controller can either put your Mac in Standby, or power it right off, If you use it in standby it will monitor your battery voltage and shutdown the mac before it kills your battery. The new model (bought mine to early) is even compatable with the new Mac Intel mini (which is what I'm getting). Heres some links to get you started:

http://www.carnetix.com/
www.mp3car.com < All the info you'll need"

I woudn;t go the Xbox route, no touchscreen support, and you won't find any GPS devices or software that will work on it. Mac Mini is the way to go. Almost fits right in the console too. (though an airsaw is needed ;) :drive:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, when you say touchscreen you mean adding a aftermarket HU are something and not using the nav system's screen right, just wondering if there are any cheaper solutions for tapping into the nav systems screen, the cheapest one I see on rpm is $250 and there is one for $500++!!!!

Seems a bit much.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok bro I have no idea what your talking about but I have already put my Xecuter 2 Xbox in my car a couple of months ago. All I did was buy a 10gauge amp kit and hook it up to the battery. The ground point was a screw in the trunk (left side). I also bought a 350 watt power inverter to plug the Xbox into. ( hidden in the wheel well) So when you wnat to turn it on/off you just flip the switch on the power inverter. Hope that answers your question.

Oh by the way my xbox is displayed through Pioneer's AVH-P5700. SO SWEET! :spin: :spin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts