Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazingly there arent that many X-Pel authorized installers around Philly, i've only talked to a few that I found. I was wondering if anyone has gotten this yet (i have seen pics on the forum) and what was the cost? I got a quote for 600.... which i dont know if its good or bad. The guy i talked to said he never saw a 6 before but he could do it. The parts alone are around 460 from the site. Any other people get it done and for how much?

I love the idea, and the pics i have seen you can't even tell! This'll be one of my first expenses If i can find the right price.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: X-Pel

I was originally quoted $660. Then I called another place and was quoted $450. I went back to the guy who quoted $660 and told him. I didn't volunteer that I had to drive 2 hours to get that price. After hemming and hawing, he matched it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Replying to Topic 'X-Pel'

Im sorry, maybe this is a stupid question, But what is X-Pel. I have never heard of it before. Do You have any pics. :?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i dont know if anyone has actual "x-pel" pictures, but it is similar to a 3M product, or a clear bra. It is a clear film that protects your bumper, headlights, and fenders from rock damage and doesnt hurt your finish like a bra does. You can see it at http://www.x-pel.com It is a little expensive but depends what you feel the worth of your paint job is.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I got mine done with X-Pel:

6S with Sport Package, bumber, hood, mirror backs, and headlights for $351.92

Can barely see it, and nobody ever notices it, then when I point it out, they go "Oh, cool!"

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Wow I wish i lived in Arizona... how did you get it so cheap? The parts arent even that cheap... now i'm jealous! :p

·
Registered
837 Posts

g-cubed, Xpel and some other brand cover are all made using the same 3M material. 3M patented that urethane film and sell it in a bulk roll. Most company will cut the bulk material to the specific functional shape. Check out Xpel information page and read for yourself.

http://www.xpel.com/paint/default.htm

Best of my knowlede, I only know two manufacturer of film, 3M and Avery. So really, the choice is pretty limited. 3M is thicker by 2mm over the Avery.

If anyone in GTA wants this application, I can suggest a place that would give you awesome price in Canadian.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Don't forget that paint protection film kit prices will vary depending upon how much the kit covers. My Star Shield Armor kit covers the front bumper cover and spoiler, the front part of the hood and front fenders, the leading edge of the roof, the A-pillars, the door handles, the rear view mirrors, the top of the rear bumper (by the trunk opening); the headlights and the Sylvania HID aux low beams. Also, installation is the key with paint film, and it's worth paying a premium for premium work. You don't want bubbles or stretch marks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'X

Originally posted by g-cubed

Wow I wish i lived in Arizona... how did you get it so cheap? The parts arent even that cheap... now i'm jealous! :p[/b]

That's what the guy quoted me, and that's what I paid.
You gotta figure the material is purchased in bulk from 3M. Then, someone has to pattern for the cars. My guy works with X-Pel. So, you can imagine that the overhead for this type of thing is pretty small. Raw material, plus a fee to the pattern maker. The profit margin is huge and you are paying mainly for installation. So, you should be able to find someone who will do it for a reasonable price. If someone quotes you $600, remind them the reality of the situation and give them a counter offer.

Edit: Also, read LA Autoshow's post. He has good points. My installer did a great job, but the coverage is only the hood, leading edge of fenders, front fascia, headlights (thicker film); and mirror backs. I am not really interested in additional coverage, but it is something to take in to account when comparing prices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts