Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a choice today. An old ass man decided that he liked my lane better than his. So he swept into mine. Instead of creating a brand new car by having our two join I decided to eat a bit of curb. Well I just checked for damage and I have a lump in my side wall now. It is about 1-2" wide and protrudes out about .25".
Has anyone had this issue before? What should I do? Is the tire done? Should I empty and refill? Should I take her to the track for some good old stretching, jk :) Or should I break out the long rifle and just put her out of her misery?
Please give input to this seriously PO'd member.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Tire is done. It's only a matter of time before it blows out on you in what could be a catastrophic failure to have at 70mph. I drove on one for a long time, but it's certainly not something that I would recommend. The tire is weak there, all it will take is to hit a small pothole or large rock that normally you wouldn't think about, but on that weak spot of the it's enough to cause a blow-out.

I wouldn't kill myself to get it fixed right now, but I'd get it changed as soon as it was convenient to do so, and until then be extra cognisant of keeping 2 hands on the wheel at speed in case of an unexpected blow-out.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire is done. It's only a matter of time before it blows out on you in what could be a catastrophic failure to have at 70mph. I drove on one for a long time, but it's certainly not something that I would recommend. The tire is weak there, all it will take is to hit a small pothole or large rock that normally you wouldn't think about, but on that weak spot of the it's enough to cause a blow-out.

I wouldn't kill myself to get it fixed right now, but I'd get it changed as soon as it was convenient to do so, and until then be extra cognisant of keeping 2 hands on the wheel at speed in case of an unexpected blow-out.
[/b]
Shiiiiat, thanks bro. I will start shopping I guess. This sucks. This is like the worst time for such an event. Just finished x-mas shopping and have to drive for the holidays :tear: Oh well time to tap into the good old savings.
But really thanks for the pointing out the safety issues. I would have be cautious but will be a bit more now.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
With the old timers, it's either blow by em' or stay 50 yards behind them. Sorry it had to happen.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the old timers, it's either blow by em' or stay 50 yards behind them. Sorry it had to happen.
[/b]
If blowing by him or hitting the brakes were options I would have. But crazy NY x-mas traffic made either a non-option. So it's onto research for new shoes.
Thanks though for the regards. Man I should have gotten his plate.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
When one of my tires got a bubble, I begrudgingly took that as an opportunity to upgrade from the Michelins.

If it's any help, 215/50/17 Falken ZIEX ZE-512's are on sale at $63/tire+shipping at Edgeracing.com

·
Registered
344 Posts
This happend to one of my tires too, and i drove on it for 3 months or so, then drove about 200 miles towards LA, and got stuck on the highway, big mistake. I had to pay for towing, and new a new tire. And i knew that was going to happen i was just being stupid.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you havent changed that tire yet, get it done asap. Some people my have gotten awaywith it for a couple days, weeks, or months. BUt I wouldnt trust a tire like that for a hour. Ive had a blowout at speed before (i didnt notice a lump so i dont know why it blew) and its not something I want to have happen again and I would never risk it. Way too much to lose considering the price of one tire.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When one of my tires got a bubble, I begrudgingly took that as an opportunity to upgrade from the Michelins.

If it's any help, 215/50/17 Falken ZIEX ZE-512's are on sale at $63/tire+shipping at Edgeracing.com
[/b]
Thank you!!!! It' actually is funny. I will be purchasing these through their "WTF Sale". How appropriate

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes sir, change that tire asap. I learned that the hard way few years ago with my last car. Tire blew out while doing about 75 mph on the highway in the fast lane. Luckily I was able to hit the hazard lights quickly and slowly pulled out in to the median. A state trooper pulled up a minute later and help me cross the 3 lane highway into the break down lane. A very scary experience and lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now these Falken ZIEX ZE-512 have a 91 load rating which most cars use. But I know it is not recommended for us. We are suppose to use 93 or higher. Is anyone using a lower rating?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brushing the curb broke some of the nylon (maybe some other fabric) strands that hold the side wall together. The air pressure is causing the 'bubble effect'. The tire is toast as there is no way to repair the damage. Eventually heat will cause further damage to the area and ka-boom.

Cheaper to replace the tire now, rather then to replace the tire and wheel, realign the car, pay for a tow, plus possible body damage when the tire decides to explode....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts