Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an owner for 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve, 2.5 turbo for six months. I went to the dealer for an oil change today. Though I specifically asked the dealer to use 5W30 which is required for the turbo engine, they still used 0W20 which is only good for the NA engine and claimed it'd run fine for the turbo engine.

I don't buy it as 0W20 is too thin and don't know why they don't stick to the manufacturers recommendation. I've filed a complaint to Mazda USA and will see how things fall out. Need some opinion on whether I should drive the car next couple of days. I fear oil consumption would come up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's not going to hurt your engine in the short term. Did the dealer flat out refuse to drain it and put in the correct oil?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am an owner for 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve, 2.5 turbo for six months. I went to the dealer for an oil change today. Though I specifically asked the dealer to use 5W30 which is required for the turbo engine, they still used 0W20 which is only good for the NA engine and claimed it'd run fine for the turbo engine.

I don't buy it as 0W20 is too thin and don't know why they don't stick to the manufacturers recommendation. I've filed a complaint to Mazda USA and will see how things fall out. Need some opinion on whether I should drive the car next couple of days. I fear oil consumption would come up.

If the manual for the turbo states 5w30 then I would insist that they use the correct oil, even if that means they drain/fill what they just did.

Mr. Orange:
What happens if the manager won't give you the (correct oil) diamonds?
Mr. White:
When you're dealing with a store like this, they're insured up the ass. They're not supposed to give you any resistance whatsoever. If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your (keys) gun and smash their nose in. Everybody jumps. He falls down screaming, blood squirts out of his nose, nobody says f***ing shit after that. You might get some bitch talk shit to you, but give her a look like you're gonna smash her in the face next, watch her shut the f*** up. Now if it's a manager, that's a different story. Managers know better than to f*** around, so if you get one that's giving you static, he probably thinks he's a real cowboy, so you gotta break that son of a bitch in two. If you wanna know something and he won't tell you, cut off one of his fingers. The little one. Then tell him his thumb's next. After that he'll tell you if he wears ladies underwear. I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The service advisor said they don't have 5W30 after the oil change when I found out they used the wrong grade. Will contact them on Monday when their service manager is in.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
It's safe to drive, but I'd definitely follow up with the dealer and Mazda.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
What the others said - You'll be fine but absolutely don't let it happen again and let them know they screwed up.

(Another reason I do my own).....

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I would NOT leave that oil in there. It won't hurt the engine (at all) but it MAY cause turbo trouble down the road, and I would also pay close attention to oil level, since the thinner viscosity is likely to result in materially higher consumption through turbo bypass (which ultimately goes down the intake and gets burned up.)

And use the correct (full-synthetic) 5w30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contacted dealer again this morning. They still wouldn't admit they screwed up and still claimed 0W20 is perfect in Florida area (where I live).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Contacted dealer again this morning. They still wouldn't admit they screwed up and still claimed 0W20 is perfect in Florida area (where I live).
Call Mazda's corporate office. If the manual says to use an oil that they are not using, they are going to get in a lot of trouble. Also, stop going to that dealership. Especially for oil changes, getting regular maintenance done at a dealership is throwing your money away.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If the owners Manual clearly states 5w-30 & they still put in 0w-20 I wouldn't have paid them Crap until they put that right oil in or gave me some damn coupons. If I'm going to the stealership for service that better be top notch because you're paying top dollar for their work even though a lot of the time it's rushed work.
To me personally I think that over the years the Techs there were so used to putting 0w-20 in most of their engines that the Tech probably naturally put that in your car & didn't want to waste good oil on his mess up. Should be no reason why they wouldn't have that oil in stock being they order by the drum.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On the good side, they didn't use 20w, which is generally too thick for modern cars oiling passages to flow through quickly enough to maintain proper lubrication.

0w20 is an odd weight to run in a turbo charged vehicle as the turbine shaft requires a solid film of oil for proper lubrication (this after having a stock turbo fail, then a aftermarket turbo fail on my '06 Mitsu Evolution and discussing the matter with Forced Performance out of Plano TX). In general (meaning not specific and not universally true, for you keyboard warriors) the 0 weight oils are for hybrids as the motors are barely under load. I think it was Toyota which started the 0 weight movement when Prius went mainstream (2nd gen).

Personally I will be using a Amsoil high-zinc (factory specified weight) oil for the first oil change as the car just ticked over 1,000 miles and is now due. The factory-fill oil will be tested at Blackstone labs as well as the Amsoil once the car reaches 6,000 miles.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=vx2blg45igqnae55jhn4sj55&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackstone-labs.net%2FBstone%2F%28S%28vx2blg45igqnae55jhn4sj55%29%29%2F

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
0w20 is perfectly fine in the NA SkyActiv engines and in fact returns EXCELLENT UOAs. I have 150,000 miles worth of them. Near-zero consumption and wear metals near-zero as well.

It's not appropriate for the turbo engine but not because of the engine, rather because of the turbo and the way oil "seals" work on turbos (they're not really seals; they're a labyrinth passage and rely on the weight of the oil and rotation of the shaft to fling it outward so it doesn't go through the gap and wind up being burned.)

·
Rally Racer
1,761 Posts

Document, document, document.

If it is indeed okay, as they state, have the service manager sign a statement saying the replacement was carried out as such.

If they won't sign make a note and sign (with a witness would be nice) and insist they replace with the indicated oil viscosity.

After this, it may be worth it to find a new dealer to service your vehicle.

Remember, caveat emptor. This is a capitalism after all and without copious documentation (and sometimes even then) you are hosed in the end.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Crazy. You can be sure if you have any engine problems for any reason, Mazda will void your warranty if they find 0w20 in that engine. I'd definitely get a correct oil change, keep the receipt and insist Mazda corporate reimburse you (they will). And hopefully they discipline the dealership.

·
Registered
520 Posts
0w20 is an odd weight to run in a turbo charged vehicle as the turbine shaft requires a solid film of oil for proper lubrication (this after having a stock turbo fail, then a aftermarket turbo fail on my '06 Mitsu Evolution and discussing the matter with Forced Performance out of Plano TX). In general (meaning not specific and not universally true, for you keyboard warriors) the 0 weight oils are for hybrids as the motors are barely under load. I think it was Toyota which started the 0 weight movement when Prius went mainstream (2nd gen).
[/URL]
Not so odd anymore. 0W20 is seeing more and more use in turbos. Honda recommends 0W20 in their high performance Civic Type R, BMW has switched to 0W20 in their 2.0 turbo motors. I know Ford europe has 0W20 in few turbo models there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe a few Subarus (if not all) are also running 0w20.

Quite a few of the cars in Japan are down to 0w16 now, which has been around since the late 90's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Where's GetInline to tell all of you how wrong you are about motor oil?
He'd tell you to get the thickest diesel oil you can find and then thicken it with corn starch, like gravy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
23 Participants
dcoulombe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing