Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I accidentally topped my coolant off with GO5 Zerex coolant (yellow) in my 2015 Mazda 6 literally put in less than half of a qt!! What should I Do? Get it flushed asap?? can I wait?? Please help!! TIA

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I would flush the system immediately and get some FL22, yes.

You MIGHT be ok, but the risk of being wrong is considerable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for replying I am going to flush it on Tuesday! What could possibly happen if i didn't flush it out?? I've done a little bit of research and didn't find anythingspecifically answering my question besides saying it will cause sludge!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason i ask is because they are both long life ethylene glycol?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The reason i ask is because they are both long life ethylene glycol?
You better not take the risk. And you have said it, "sludge". You don't want sludge inside your engine. I can't imagine what will happen or how it can ruin the engine.

If you are sure they are compatible, then go for it. If you have a little doubt, then replace it.

Peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've seen the results of mixing incompatible coolants before. It's not pretty. I have no idea how much "fun" it is replacing the heater core on this car but on the VWs I've had brought to me with this problem it's an all-day job to get the dash out in order to get to it. Yeah -- the procedure is basically "remove entire dashboard" :)

Oh, and new radiator too, and and and and -- and you're never sure if you got it all out, and if you plug a cylinder head passage or something like that you can roast the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just so confusing cause i have done so so much research about it the last 2 days and i just have gotten mixed answers, like it says the orange and green coolant cant be mixed because it will eventually create that sludge but this coolant is yellow! I have searched if the 2 coolants were compatible and its really just unclear all it tells me is that the Go5 is a virgin ethylene glycol so does that mean it has the same stuff just more or less of some ingredients?! So would that mean they are compatible? My head literally hurt from reading so much yesterday!! And i am by no means questioning any of your judgments at all I am honestly genuinely curious about all these questions!! Thank you guys so much for all the info really, i am by no means a mechanic at all and appreciate the help!!!

I also have a 2006 infiniti, it was overheating and (my grandpa) just had to change the radiator and temp sensor and all that bs so i definitely know how stressful and long that stuff takes and making sure all that air is outta the system!! It's exhausting!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here’s a crazy idea: Mix some in a can and see what happens?

It’s not a big deal to flush the system out, either. Then put in whatever you want.

Reactions: MazdaRex
1 - 9 of 9 Posts