Votes: 0 0.0%
  • must add both to consider buying hybrid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I totally agree that the 4.3/5.7 fiasco was the fault of GM, and their typical foolishness leading to an unreliable engine. However, the other sacrifices with diesels were pretty much universal in the early 1980's (the last time diesels were widely available in the United States).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
People here dont like diesel because they are "louder"... lol.

Some of the recent hybrids dont have that much better gas milage at all. Its too much driving fun to sacrafice. Hell you can make a solar powered car go forever, but will it be fun to drive considering you top out at 20 mph...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was in France a couple of weeks ago on my honeymoon. 2/3 of the cars we saw there were diesels. I even saw someone driving a BMW X3 with a 4-cyl diesel. Guy couldn't drive a stick worth a darn, though... heheheh. Anyway, diesel exhaust over there, while somewhat stinky, is nothing like what you get out of one of those old Mercedes turbo diesels, or the older American diesel cars. And they're not all that loud, either. Our rental car was petrol-based (did I just say "petrol"?), and it was only marginally quieter than the diesels.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The hybrid car I'm interested in is the Toyota Alessandro Volta, it's a concept hybrid now but it might be available in the future. 408hp, 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds.

Diesels are very efficient and produce less carbon dioxide compare to gasoline engines. But at the same time, it produces much more harmful smog emission than gasoline engines, that's one of the reasons why there aren't many diesels available in America.

There is a chance that Mazda 6 will have a hybrid version, but they have to solve the battery storage problem. Our 6 is originally designed for Europe and Asia market, so it's smaller compare to other midsize cars in America. If you go take a look at a Ford Fusion, the trunk is bigger than our 6 so it can store a battery pack. So most likely Mazda won't make a hybrid version of the current design, maybe on the bigger 2008 design.

Hybrids are definately not a ultimate solution to the oil problem, oil will eventually run out, it just buys us more time to develop alternative energy sources such as the fuel cell.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think Americans should lean more towards diesel technology. I am not impressed with hybrids at all and I think it's simply a waste of money, space, and extra maintenance for the ridiculous electric motor and battery pack. The MPG numbers aren't even significantly higher than standard gasoline-powered motors. However, in diesels, 40+ MPG is easily attainable, and with today's technology, "noise" and lack of power shouldn't be a concern (especially with TDI options out there). When oil finally runs out, diesel engines can be converted to run on vegetable oil and such. That's a nifty alternative, but then all the arable farmland on Earth will be used up much more quickly than normal and the consequences may be disastrous (I'm sure there are synthetic alternatives to vegetable oil anyway). Still, investing in diesel technology will definitely buy us some time to invest in other alternatives.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ultimate would be a "plug-in-able" hybrid-diesel that will run on bio-diesel!!! 120 mpg and you can refill at McDonalds!!!

I've heard of hybrid owners that have added the ability to plug it in to an outlet. By doing this the battery pack is always full charged and you need the engine even less, they can get 80+ mpg this way.

I think the car companies are afraid to add this ability to hybrids because they would actually have to advertise it. It would be perceived as a negative, even though it would be a positive. Look at how much they advertise that "You don't have to plug it in!" I don't think people have gotten past that electric-only car GM made a few years back. It had no range (plus it was $50k!)

If Toyota had made a Camry hybrid wagon when we were in the market, I would have seriously considered it.

Oh, and a side note. The Camry hybrid does have a folding rear seat, though the overall pass through area is a bit smaller.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would look into buying one if it was better than 45mpg.
I would not want it to be much slower than the base 6i but it does not need to be close to a fast car either.

Price wise, it would need to be very close to "regular" 6's.

I hate that high mark up BS only because they offer better mpg, like those jackasses at Honda do.
Keep the price fair Mazda.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would look into buying one if it was better than 45mpg.
I would not want it to be much slower than the base 6i but it does not need to be close to a fast car either.

Price wise, it would need to be very close to "regular" 6's.

I hate that high mark up BS only because they offer better mpg, like those jackasses at Honda do.
Keep the price fair Mazda.
[/b]

Yea, if you calculate the cost of gas and how much you can save if you buy a hybrid, the money does add up over the years, but it would have to be a substantial amount for me to even consider forking up several extra thousand for a "fuel effiecent" car. 31 highway on a I4 isn't too shabby though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
^^^^
That's how most people look at.

"Why would I pay 2 or 3k over? I can live with 28 to 35 mpg. And maybe even have a faster car too."

I love the idea of hybrids because I think green. But people just won't pay too much extra because they think they'll save down the road.

If the prices are not too far off, people will buy them.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
That's the thing. Hybrid's really aren't green when you add everything together. The batteries are a major factor both in the production and disposal phases.

The hybrid's rear seat does fold, but the trunk is also 1/3 smaller. A 10 cubic foot trunk is just too small for a family sedan.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If your not recharging the battery through braking the electricity you use from your home is not only costing you money your saving by using less gas but chances are the powerplant is burning fossil fuels to make that power anyway.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts