Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
This better not happen here (The US). Why even own a car ... Cars that slow down speeders
[/b]

Not on my car! I'm sure we aren't to far from seeing stuff like that here though. Hey what about a box that is in your car that tracks your location with GPS and cross checks the speed limit where you are at. That way as soon as you speed your car can give you a ticket. I can't remmeber where I saw something like this but it either already exists, or will soon. Nice to know big brother is keeping an eye on us!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not on my car! I'm sure we aren't to far from seeing stuff like that here though. Hey what about a box that is in your car that tracks your location with GPS and cross checks the speed limit where you are at. That way as soon as you speed your car can give you a ticket. I can't remmeber where I saw something like this but it either already exists, or will soon. Nice to know big brother is keeping an eye on us!
[/b]
The article says something to the effect that limiting cars to only travel at and never above the speed limit will reduce traffic deaths. The way I see it, it will probably increase them. How many times have you been able to avoid an accident by getting away from a pack of cars all going the same speed? Not to mention merging onto the highway ... I mean come on, how can someone think this is even close to a rational solution for reducing traffic deaths?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Funny that this article comes up. I was thinking the other day, if everyone wanted us to go the speed limit, all they'd have to do is put a limiter on every car made in the US for like... 80mph? I think that's the max limit in places. 70 usually, but 80 maybe in like Arizona or something, I dunno.

But ALSO, thought about the fact that, if you're trying to pass someone, what if you can't go above 80mph and need to pass them. They're going too slow, or throwing debris, I dunno. Usually when I pass someone, by the time I switch back into the right lane (2 lane road *traffic comes towards, and away*) I'm going over 100.

Bad idea IMO. Damn the man.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny that this article comes up. I was thinking the other day, if everyone wanted us to go the speed limit, all they'd have to do is put a limiter on every car made in the US for like... 80mph? I think that's the max limit in places. 70 usually, but 80 maybe in like Arizona or something, I dunno.

But ALSO, thought about the fact that, if you're trying to pass someone, what if you can't go above 80mph and need to pass them. They're going too slow, or throwing debris, I dunno. Usually when I pass someone, by the time I switch back into the right lane (2 lane road *traffic comes towards, and away*) I'm going over 100.

Bad idea IMO. Damn the man.
[/b]
There are actually places in the US that don't have speed limits at all. They are in Montana and Arizona, but thats besides the point. Down with speed limits, call it survival of the fittest :yesnod:

·
Registered
146 Posts
[/b]
It would be almost like Farenheit 451, by Bradbury, except with cars. But why stop at the speed limit, make every car with it's own breathalizer. Or perhaps, as the article states, put a camera in each car so "smile" your on candid camera. Boo, I say, Boo this man!! :irate:

·
Registered
46 Posts
[/b]
I think i saw it on a old tv show, like maybe atlantis. I think it was like this, all speed limit signs have a special radar thing that would scan vehicels speed and cross refrence the speed taken with the speed it had on file and if it was different it would alert the police. Then the police would tell you you were speeding and give you a verbal ticket over your car audio system.

DAMN I guess thats like 10,000 geek points there. I need to get out more often.

Karb0nK0py

·
Registered
427 Posts
PFFT! Let's see them try this. No one will buy new cars because everyone will go out and buy used cars so that they don't have that feature. I'd rather drop the money and fix up my used car than buy a POS new car that slows me down. Stick it to the man! :D

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
There are actually places in the US that don't have speed limits at all. They are in Montana and Arizona, but thats besides the point. Down with speed limits, call it survival of the fittest :yesnod:
[/b]
I was under the impression that roads with no posted limit have an assumed limit, maybe thats just a state thing.

I can see this as being beneficial in big cities, but if its only in new cars, then a small number of people would be bound by this, which would probably cause more accidents at first.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Why stop here though? I mean, let's jsut let the cars drive themselves! Get a computer mainframe big enough to handle every calculation, and we're set. Get in, tell your car where you want to go, and it takes you there without any effort from anyone.

...kill me now.
[/b]
It's coming. The technology is already being tested.

Self driven cars

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
That settles it, i'm never moving to London!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really don't care if it happens in my life time, but I will not buy a car that drives itself. No way. That's when I buy some old car with no computer in it and do my own thing.

I don't really think it will happen soon though. We can't be the only people that would be against it. Besides even the soccer moms would hate this one. Could you imagine if they weren't allowed to put peoples lives in jeopardy anymore by speeding and not paying attention to traffic around them. I mean come on where is the fun in that?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
[/b]
75 is max in Az.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There's no way they would force the car under the speed limit. If they did that, the number of tickets given by the police would be reduce, thereby reducing the revenue generated by the police..

I could see a constant monitoring system where they wouldnt even have to be there to give you a ticket.. taht would increase revenue, which would be welcome.. haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
silver six
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing