Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a set of Rhino Ramps, have used them successfully to install fog lights in my Mazda6 and used it many times to work on my lowered Mustang.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The reason for the elaborate low-ramps then high ramps is because I did not want to suffer the clutch wear I would suffer if I tried to go up ramps at the same time on the front "axle" and the rear "axle". Going up only a single incline at a time (per end of the car) is a lot easier. Further, I wanted to get the car high enough on ramps to allow me to work under the car solely with the car on ramps... or to be able to lift it higher with my lifting beam {4" wide-flange (i.e. wide I Beam) spanning from one rocker panel to the other, and tied-in to my hydraulic floor jack swivel "socket"}.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really love my 2015 Mazda 6 so this was a hard question for me to answer, but my least favorite feature of the car is the unnecessarily wide A-pillar. It's only in very specific situations, but there is a significant loss of visibility because of this design that's for sure.
I couldn't agree more. I have nearly pulled out in front of a handful of cars. It's amazing how it can hide an entire other vehicle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I couldn't agree more. I have nearly pulled out in front of a handful of cars. It's amazing how it can hide an entire other vehicle.

And the worst part is there is very little to nothing that can be done about it

·
Registered
155 Posts
U guys have automatics, I would wager. In the manual (i.e. no torque converter to multiply torque when torque converter is at stall-speed) bottom-end torque deficiency is evident. Even though max torque is at 3250 rpm (quite low) it IS low at 2000... and it really comes alive at , oh, 2800. So it feels "cammy". Solution: a tune focusing on this (deficient, in my view) engine rpm regime.
The torque converter will, at least until it locks up in the higher gears on the contrary cause more lag and an even worse low-end compared to a manual transmission without a doubt, especially considering that gear 4,5,6 in the automatic is geared taller than in the manual. The way this 2.5L engine is engineered and tuned means it certainly doesn't like to spend much time below the thick part of it's powerband at 3000RPM which is why it sort of feels laggy and a tad unlinear at first. Again, the tune will all but resolve this issue of low-end torque.

Interesting comment you made about the Camry 2.2 with a 5 speed manual. Interestingly enough I stumbled across a 1997 for very cheap with 450K KM on it and the very rare manual transmission - decided to pick it up. It's certainly a very good drivetrain, especially for it's age but it had to be by far the most boring manual gearbox I have ever driven... The clutch was a little unusual but worked well especially for rev matching downshifts and the gearing was very well suited to the powerband of the engine, but I have never driven a less engaging manual car in my entire life and I never will. The handling and steering was rather dismal as expected with a toyota but that car was truly excellent at higher speeds - very stable and planted. I felt confident driving quite fast in the highway even with the worn in suspension. Toyota's interior ergonomics are weird but all in all, a very decent car. Reminded me alot of my 1995 Nissan Maxima (also with very rare 5 speed manual) except the Maxima was V6 only.

Now... back to my point. Maybe you prefer the way the low end in the 2.2 felt because it's more "linear.." simply because it doesn't have the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold or any of that trickery which helps the 2.5 come alive once you spin past 3000RPM.

I suspect (and hope) you will be truly very happy with your Mazda if you do decide to get the ECU tune.. :)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts