Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the word everyone! A chicago based corporation which has come from Europe is here and is here to build us a v6 turbo kit. I found out about them from a friend who told me that they build turbo kits and custom kits for customers. I went to visit them to get a sneak peak at their progress and they are extremely close to finishing. They did not allow me to take pictures nor to expose their name, as they want the kit to finish first, and then do some finishing touches to make it look pretty and finished. However, examining their system, it is a rear mount system, mounted high into the muffler spot. They are a using a Garrett Ball bearing turbo, Tial blow off valve, and the turbo is internally wastegated to 8 psi currently for tuning and testing. They told me that they personally like the internal wastegate for less fuss and for low boost applications, as well as weight savings instead of more piping, and more room to tuck the turbo up into the muffler wells. Oil return is provided via a scavenge pump. The kit will come with a piggyback tuned to two boost levels, one at 5psi, and the other at 7, which can be switched back and forth by a in cockpit switch, depending if you want that extra umph. They claimed that they tested their kit for about 1000 miles so far and have had no leaks, no problems, no detonating whatsoever, on a low tune of 6psi. They said before release they want at least another 5000 miles testing, and a long distance trip back and forth. The kit they told me is extremely complete, down to every nut and bolt, and since it is rear mounted takes basic hand tools as well and jackstands to install, and about a 2-3 hour install time! thats what hooked me right there. because labor fees for traditional mounted systems would be way tooo expensive. They are telling me that release will be within 1-1.5 months, and will come with dyno graphs, and dyno video of the vehicle. Estimated price will be ranging from 4500-5000, however i told them about our community, and they said that a group buy might be able to be arranged for a special price. I'll try and snag some pictures next time without getting caught. But based on their past experience with several imports and european cars, as well as their turbo knowledge, they got me hooked, and i'm startin to save for a turbo kit. I hate to be the person to hype up people about a turbo without any pictures, but i guarantee i will try to get some ASAP! PEACE

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Well, here's the word everyone! A chicago based corporation which has come from Europe is here and is here to build us a v6 turbo kit. I found out about them from a friend who told me that they build turbo kits and custom kits for customers. I went to visit them to get a sneak peak at their progress and they are extremely close to finishing. They did not allow me to take pictures nor to expose their name, as they want the kit to finish first, and then do some finishing touches to make it look pretty and finished. However, examining their system, it is a rear mount system, mounted high into the muffler spot. They are a using a Garrett Ball bearing turbo, Tial blow off valve, and the turbo is internally wastegated to 8 psi currently for tuning and testing. They told me that they personally like the internal wastegate for less fuss and for low boost applications, as well as weight savings instead of more piping, and more room to tuck the turbo up into the muffler wells. Oil return is provided via a scavenge pump. The kit will come with a piggyback tuned to two boost levels, one at 5psi, and the other at 7, which can be switched back and forth by a in cockpit switch, depending if you want that extra umph. They claimed that they tested their kit for about 1000 miles so far and have had no leaks, no problems, no detonating whatsoever, on a low tune of 6psi. They said before release they want at least another 5000 miles testing, and a long distance trip back and forth. The kit they told me is extremely complete, down to every nut and bolt, and since it is rear mounted takes basic hand tools as well and jackstands to install, and about a 2-3 hour install time! thats what hooked me right there. because labor fees for traditional mounted systems would be way tooo expensive. They are telling me that release will be within 1-1.5 months, and will come with dyno graphs, and dyno video of the vehicle. Estimated price will be ranging from 4500-5000, however i told them about our community, and they said that a group buy might be able to be arranged for a special price. I'll try and snag some pictures next time without getting caught. But based on their past experience with several imports and european cars, as well as their turbo knowledge, they got me hooked, and i'm startin to save for a turbo kit. I hate to be the person to hype up people about a turbo without any pictures, but i guarantee i will try to get some ASAP! PEACE
[/b]
Until I see some pics, and a company name/phone number, I call complete bullshit

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Until I see some pics, and a company name/phone number, I call complete bullshit
[/b]
+1.

I can't even count the amount of BS claims in this same fasion that have been made for the 6i and 6s, From headers. to turbo's to superchragers. to remote controlled rocket launchers.

Just the fact that they wouldn't let you reveal there name is fishy. If they where that in wraps they'd not have shown it to you in the first place. A comapny WANTS it's name out.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I thought we were getting these. Weren't they going to integrate them in to the fog light slots in the headlight housing?
[/b]
They where supposed too. But I don't know. Last I heard they where having problems with programming and tunning for it

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
They where supposed too. But I don't know. Last I heard they where having problems with programming and tunning for it
[/b]
I think that the main issue was that Crower was supposed to get it so that when the Cams engaged the VVT it would launch, but since Crower still isn't done with the cams (also known as not having started) the rocket launchers are a ways off...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not B.S. guaranteed... i'll post pics as soon as i can get some, however, they told me that they don't want their name released as they want to have a completed kit before Mazda 6 enthusiasts come to see, or call and ask questions upon questions about release, and more specifications. They say that its time consuming to answer phone calls 24/7 and give information that is not final nor finished yet. They want to be as accurate as possible about their product. I promise you guys, this is not b.s. at all, i will have pics, and you will see what i'm talking about. They are an established corporation, not some guy fiddling around his engine bay seing what he can, and in the mean time trying to figure out how to build a turbo kit, hahahaa, for example, myself, as i used to screw around day and night to figure out a turbo kit, however lacking the necessary knowledge, tools, time, and money i'm not that qualified to build one, lol. so as a member looking for a turbo kit, i'm giving all you other members some info on what i've seen with my eyes, not some horses ass info. I know atomwatt has got a kit in developement and has pictures and such, howeever he's just a member building his kit, and not a corporation building for customers around the world. Oh, also their test car is in fact an Automatic, but i believe since its rear mounted its compatable with the manual.

·
Registered
649 Posts
[/b]
I can't wait for the full SpyHunter Mod. I'm dreaming of the day that i can drive off a dock and the 6 turns in to a speed boat.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
just watch out that they do not ask you for some "investment" money the next time you meet. Till then, seeing is believing.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I want to be excited about this. :D

But I am not. :sarc:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I know atomwatt has got a kit in developement and has pictures and such, howeever he's just a member building his kit, and not a corporation building for customers around the world.[/b]
Actually Atom's kit is is backed by STS, who will produce the kit once its all fabbed up. The only reason he is funding the kit himself is because no company would front the cost for it.

However, if there is another company out there building a kit, more power to them! Though I'm not getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if i wanted to invest 5k into a turbo i would trade my 6s in and get a MS6

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I love my 6. But I have to agree that with $5k I would trade for a speed6 or even the new speed3. I'm from the world of Honda, where turbo kits start below $3k. $5k seems a little steep for a starting price. Anyway the kit you described sounds a lot like the sts one mentioned in another thread. Why can't we get Greddy or Jackson Racing to make us something?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Why can't we get Greddy or Jackson Racing to make us something?
[/b]
Tunning is probably a pain... or they just don't care. Not enough people would buy a mazda 6s turbo as opposed to those buying dsm turbo kits or honda kits.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I love my 6. But I have to agree that with $5k I would trade for a speed6 or even the new speed3. I'm from the world of Honda, where turbo kits start below $3k. $5k seems a little steep for a starting price. Anyway the kit you described sounds a lot like the sts one mentioned in another thread. Why can't we get Greddy or Jackson Racing to make us something?
[/b]
lack of intrest by the 32 people who own mazda 6's

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Considering the amount of people out there that own Mazda 6's. Then take in to factor that 90% of those are in no way interested in modding them at all. Then out of the remainder that are in to modding them. You take out another 8% that are serious enough to buy a turbo. Or can afford to be out 4 grand or so just to turbo their cars. That leaves a market for like 2% of the mazda community.

Compare that to the large amount of people that own Honda's. A much larger percentage of that group mods them or attempts to mod them. Thus the demand is large for that car. So These company's know they wil0 lmake more money marketing a Honda B-series Turbo kit for 1 grand as opposed to marketing the mazda 6 turbo for that much.

You get 200 people to spend 1 grand on a turbo. You've made the money back plus some on development. But they know 200 or more people will not be buying a mazda 6 turbo kit. So when you do see one. It's going to cost ALOT more to make up for that cost. Now I bet if they seen every other 15 year old with a mazda6 turboing their cars like with the honda's. Eventually the prices would bend to refelct this. But i don't see that happening anytime ever...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
^^^^You also need to subtract all the people in Cali who have to smog thier cars. Personally, no CARB cert and I wont put it on my car. I dont want to take parts off and put them back on all the time. Certainly not a turbo.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Well if this is the case---good for that company!! There are very very few places you can mount the turbo on the V6 so seeing as this one is also an alleged rear mount, i am not suprised. As far as everything else goes--- Right now anyone with enough money can slap a turbo on there car. I had the money to do it and decided to do it for the community. The key with me in I am backed my STS as well As NSN Motorsprts. These companies are more than interested in an untapped market. Look at NSN's website. They already have a full standalone for the 6i and I am working to get the 6s completed. Now the key to make this turbo succesful is in the tuning. I am unaware of any company that is able to fully tune any kind of FI for the 6s. Now that doesn't mean much. I am unaware of tons of things. If they have a tuning option, that is the biggiest news yet a congrats for them. I am not bashing this however keep in mind, a mod like this will always cost an arm and a leg. Yes, a Honda kit will be much cheaper as stated above. I am hoping that we have enough people here that will understand the benefits with this package. I hope to do this by producing a great kit with STS and be able to SHOW you what it can do. I am trying to keep everyone updated. If you have any questions please ask.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
About this Discussion
127 Replies
45 Participants
1PROBEGUY
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing