Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just placed my orders to do the retro. Bosch ECE e46 Projectors form HIDplanet and Apexcone 5000K D2S kit with DDE Raptors from the RPM Store. This comming up week is going to kick ass. Any tips on a set up like this?

I also plan on painting the inside of the headlight housing black, anything special on the painting process in there?

I am going to be busy for a while with all my x-mas mods. Got a fat bonus at work and in addition to the retro I got the Mazdaspeed Springs (Sabrinas GB), Mazdaspeed Short Shift Kit, 18" Kyowa Racing KR206 Hyperblack wheels wrapped in Falken FK-452 225/45/18 rubber, and a 06 Sport Grille. I can't f%&$ing wait, going to be many sleepless nights till this stuff arrives on my door step. WOOT!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
out of your mods,the hid's will be your favorite.Just take your time when you pull the housings apart.there is a primer that you you can get from Advanced Auto that will allow paint to stick to plastic better for around $8.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I totally forgot to mention the security torx bit,I have had one in my tool box for years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to install car audio for a living so I should have the T-20 security bit but I will definately check before I start. I hate nothing more than having to interupt an install to run to the store.

I've read the posts by all the retro fitters and am greatful for the write-ups, good work fellas. Only thing I don't like is going through the dust cap so I might cut into the wiring and drill and gromet the housing. I don't know, I need to have it in my hands to really put all the info together.

I will definately post pictures up when done and thanks in advance for when I have some questions ;)

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
If you are going with D2S bulbs,don't worry about drilling the dust caps.It won't hurt anything.The set-up is alot cleaner of an install with the retrofit.Have you seen the black silicone tape patches?The mechanics that i work with gave me that and thats what i used over the holes in the dust caps.Works great and no moisture in the headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I just think it could be done a little cleaner. It seems like it would be cleaner to not go through a removable part. It should only be two wires so a 1/4" grommet out the bottom of the housing should work. I could be wrong tho since I have never even looked at the housings :)

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
It was tough for me to do that since I mounted the ballasts on the bottom of the lamp.But if you can pull it off please posts lots of pics........What's cool about the retro's is that when you get different inventive minds working on the same project it gets better and better every time.Did you read the forums in hidplanet.com?They helped out alot as well as other members on here.Alot of people are very helpful.If you need anything,just pm a few members.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just got an email stating my order won't ship til after the first of the year. Looks like RPM is down for the holidays. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
just an FYI from a very VERY sad raptor owner, be careful :(. somehow when i put the casing back together i cracked both large rings and now have to take my car apart again and send back my big rings.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
just an FYI from a very VERY sad raptor owner, be careful :(. somehow when i put the casing back together i cracked both large rings and now have to take my car apart again and send back my big rings.
[/b]
hmmm prob the big diff in the temp, i dont know, i just got myself a DDE, and havent installed them yet.... i will wire them to my low beam instead of parking light.... but anyway, best of luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey mo... Since you are going to hook the DDE's up to the low beams are you going to have your HID's on the highs? Thats what I was thinking of doing and just leaving the stock highs unconnected. From the pictures you all have posted it seems like the stock highs are unneffective wiht the HID's on. Or do you use the highs to see signs that are up high?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hey mo... Since you are going to hook the DDE's up to the low beams are you going to have your HID's on the highs? Thats what I was thinking of doing and just leaving the stock highs unconnected. From the pictures you all have posted it seems like the stock highs are unneffective wiht the HID's on. Or do you use the highs to see signs that are up high?
[/b]
i still use my high sometimes when i wanna see the sign wayy up there... esp on highway...

hmmm i dont recommend doing HIDs on high beam, unless u really want to retro the high beam with hid proj...

what i meant by hooking up to my low beam is just taking li'll bit of power from my stock low beam feed.. and since i m using the wiring harness on top of my HID, that stock low beam is just basically a switch for the real power output from the battery...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahahaah. Hopefully I don't get the curse of Justins6s!! Is your insrance going to cover your retro work?

t_mo_t I was thinking more on the lines of having the DDE's on by them selves. I think I am going to hook mine up to the ignition so they are always on. I was thinking of hooking them to the parking lights or low beams but I want them on in the daytime too without dimming my LCD's in the interior (stereo display).

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
watch out for those deer
[/b]
Ouch, Justin, just saw your post...... damn... i m feeling it, bro.... best of luck for your next headlight man...

Hahahaah. Hopefully I don't get the curse of Justins6s!! Is your insrance going to cover your retro work?

t_mo_t I was thinking more on the lines of having the DDE's on by them selves. I think I am going to hook mine up to the ignition so they are always on. I was thinking of hooking them to the parking lights or low beams but I want them on in the daytime too without dimming my LCD's in the interior (stereo display).
[/b]
well you can always use a switch? and wire them to the dash so that you have full control of your DDE whenever you want, you can always switch it off if you want or leave it on forever... or yeah you can splice to the constant +12 ... either way should be fine... but i dont get what u meant by without dimming your lcd? did you mean you want DDE to turn on without turning on the parking light?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want to have to turn on the headlights or the parking lights to turn them on. When you activate any of the factory light systems the dashlights come on and all LCD displays will dim making it hard to see them when its daylight. I don't want to put them on a switch to constant 12v because then I would have to remember to flip a switch everytime I turned the car on or off. I am going to wire them to the accessory circuit in the car. Accessory is the same circuit that runs your stereo and what not. This way when the key is on/off so are the DDE's.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
[/b]
LOL, its cool. Unfortunatley they dont cover that kind of stuff and to make it worse all they are giving me is an OEM chrome halogen headlight. So now I'll have one HID w/black bezel and one OEM chrome halogen. SUCKS! I'm trying to find another headlight that someone is selling.

Ouch, Justin, just saw your post...... damn... i m feeling it, bro.... best of luck for your next headlight man...
[/b]
Yeah I think I'm going to do a kit at first then maybe a retro. Not sure. I may not ever do a retro in this car again since I maybe getting out of the 6 within the next year to two.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts