Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting a new car at the end of May and this winter has been really rough in Ohio. My question is, how does the car do in the snow? I really like the style of the car and the performance but winter reliability is weighing heavily on my mind because I've been driving on snow covered roads for the past few months. Any help would be great.
~Jake

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Winter?

We have some pretty rough (arctic) winter weather here in northern Sweden. (I live just a few miles off the arctic circle...).

My 6 works just fine. It has excellent winter road behaviour. And heating is good (although with ACC one could wish for a better distribution of it, but it's no problem).

The only real problem in the cold weather is that the doors have been a bit difficult to close (now we're talking VERY cold weather). But there's an easy fix for it, an adjustment that only takes one minute.

I would recommend the 6 to anyone for winter use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Winter?'

I hope they're going to up the power a bit when the AWD arrives. Anyway, back to the topic, Steve, what tires are you running on at the moment?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Good to know - this snowstorm has made me more strongly consider a Subaru...Winters like this don't happen too often, but when they do...

·
Registered
262 Posts

I would think they would add more power whenever they decide to offer AWD. That's a lot more extra weight there.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I cant wait for hatch to come. Once it comes, and if there are plans for AWD hatch, then that would be awesome.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Good to know - this snowstorm has made me more strongly consider a Subaru...Winters like this don't happen too often, but when they do...[/b]
Just wondering...I thought you have a 6.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Good to know - this snowstorm has made me more strongly consider a Subaru...Winters like this don't happen too often, but when they do...[/b]
Considering how bad it is right now, I dont think AWD would help much.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Originally posted by labster

I'll be getting a new car at the end of May and this winter has been really rough in Ohio.  My question is, how does the car do in the snow?  I really like the style of the car and the performance but winter reliability is weighing heavily on my mind because I've been driving on snow covered roads for the past few months.  Any help would be great.  
~Jake[/b]
Well...i drove my 6 during snow storm last night...it was ok...not so great, but it did alot better then most RWD car :D ....but for alittle snow like we had the last couple time in Jersey, the 6 did just fine.....

·
Registered
220 Posts

I'd like to add my 2-cents. The 6 is a wonderfully balanced car and can be easily controlled when slippery. Alaska and Sweden are similar in weather but roads are a different matter. Alaska is required to build roads to the same standards as the contiguous states, this means we have horrid road conditions for about eight months of the year. Subaru's are great cars. Their appeal is not to be dismissed but the Mazda 6 does very well even in this harsh environment filled with ruts, soft roads, frost heaves, ice, ice fog, snow, clumsy moose and even negative temps. We run on two kinds of tires summer and winter. Summer tires should be a good all season with good wet traction. Winter tires are another matter...Nokian Hakkapelitta. I was able to get the new "4" series for the M6 but my Protoge has the "1" series. You may not be able to run with the same tires. Our Highway Patrol uses Blizzaks to great success.

·
Registered
657 Posts

I went out last night when the snow was only about 2-3" deep, and let me tell you, I was NOT happy with the car in the snow. I had MUCH more confidence with my 200sx, but maybe I'm just used to driving a smaller car. Needless to say, I was sliding all over the place. :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Winter?

Winter driving is different than summer driving. Could it be you just weren't used to it? Even Alaskans (myself included) drive like idiots the first couple of days of snow until everyone is used to the differences. After eight months of snow/ice you get pretty comfortable with how it all comes together.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I went out last night when the snow was only about 2-3" deep, and let me tell you, I was NOT happy with the car in the snow. I had MUCH more confidence with my 200sx, but maybe I'm just used to driving a smaller car. Needless to say, I was sliding all over the place.[/b]
Some winter tires might help if you don't have them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

That's not what I wanted to hear! Often sporty cars, due to their suspension, do no do well in adverse weather. I was hoping the '6 would reach a balance and do well in bad weather. I am now more wary...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Originally posted by JuMpPeR

Originally posted by labster

I'll be getting a new car at the end of May and this winter has been really rough in Ohio.  My question is, how does the car do in the snow?  I really like the style of the car and the performance but winter reliability is weighing heavily on my mind because I've been driving on snow covered roads for the past few months.  Any help would be great.  
~Jake[/b]
Well...i drove my 6 during snow storm last night...it was ok...not so great, but it did alot better then most RWD car :D ....but for alittle snow like we had the last couple time in Jersey, the 6 did just fine.....[/b][/quote]
So are you saying that the 6 is RWD? I thought that it was FWD, or maybe I'm just really mistaken. Clarification might help. Sorry bout all the newbie questions, I'd just like the facts from people who know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts