Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey looking for Winter tires, I hear X-ICE are good rite now. Can anyone recommend the size? I am told 205/50R16's...is this correct? Anyone able to hook me up with these X-ICE's on Black Steelies for cheap?
It's already snowing up here in Guelph!! Today was day 1 of snow fall. :irate: and I had to come to school in a shirt only :( :swearin:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Guelph? University or College?

It's snowing pretty good here in Kitchener. The boss's brand new C6 Corvette has a nice white layer on the roof right now :)

I have 205/60 (??) R16 Michelin Arctic Alpin Pilots on steelies - no complaints here after 3 winters.

Kieswetter has a sale on right now - I think they were $1050 installed...I'm on my there right now, I'll take a look and post back tomorrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guelph? University or College?

It's snowing pretty good here in Kitchener. The boss's brand new C6 Corvette has a nice white layer on the roof right now :)

I have 205/60 (??) R16 Michelin Arctic Alpin Pilots on steelies - no complaints here after 3 winters.

Kieswetter has a sale on right now - I think they were $1050 installed...I'm on my there right now, I'll take a look and post back tomorrow.
[/b]
Guelph University! haha...Thanx...that'd be awesome if you could let me know. I hear Costco has got the X-ICE installed and balance for something around 550 bucks but no steelies...I figure the Steelies are cheap but nice to have it all installed at once.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey - what a small world. I graduated from Systems. Eng. in 2001. I still have a few friends doing Ph.D's so I'm around campus now and again...it's changed sooo much in the 10 years since I first started - I feel myself age every time I walk by :tear:

As for tires, I picked up a flyer from Kieswetter.

16" steelies with 205/60:
Firestone Winterforce: $799
BFG Winter Slalom: $899
Michelin Pilot Alpins: $1049

And for all of you Speed 6'ers - 17" steelies with 215/50 Dunlop GRASPIC DS-2 (not positive about the size) are $1199.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It's not even winter yet, and already its snowing :(

get ready for a ton of vehicle crashes in the next few weeks ladys and gents

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
For those of you with an 03-05 Mazda6 I would recommend getting 15" wheels with 205/65-15's. This is what I use for winter and they turned out to be about $150 cheaper than getting 16's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My opinion (for what its worth...) is don't get the X-ice unless you are preapred to be in northern Canada (or Buffalo :) ) all winter. Here in S. Ontario, the bulk of the winter we are driving on dry roads, and that's where the X-Ices sound like tractors.

Try the Dunlop M3s. Got a good deal last year on 4 + steelies (16" hubcentric) at Tires23 in Mississauga. About $900 all in, and you still get to have a little bit of the zoom-zoom factor during the winter. In fact, I'm sure they could probably be used all year if you had to (I made it till the end of April without issues before changing).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
My snow tires and steelies have been running a full year already...lol

Did a few trips, cruise and some hard driving as usual w/o problem. :hoho:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Some of the people I race with can't afford race tires so they use old winter tires, because the rubber is really soft compared to all season tires.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Some of the people I race with can't afford race tires so they use old winter tires, because the rubber is really soft compared to all season tires.
[/b]
But the trend wear out relatively fast and its performance sucks in rainny days...

I usually keep the tire pressure above 30+psi for a better gas mileage so the grip is pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
yeah but that's because they still have tread on them. These guys use winter tires were the tread is totally gone. They ussually get them shaved which is about $25 per tire IIRC. But when you buy the tires used the cost savings is there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey - what a small world. I graduated from Systems. Eng. in 2001. I still have a few friends doing Ph.D's so I'm around campus now and again...it's changed sooo much in the 10 years since I first started - I feel myself age every time I walk by :tear:

As for tires, I picked up a flyer from Kieswetter.

16" steelies with 205/60:
Firestone Winterforce: $799
BFG Winter Slalom: $899
Michelin Pilot Alpins: $1049

And for all of you Speed 6'ers - 17" steelies with 215/50 Dunlop GRASPIC DS-2 (not positive about the size) are $1199.

Hope that helps!
[/b]
Thanx alot Burnsey!

And small world indeed! We should meet up if you're on campus sometime. The next 2 weeks are midterms, but I'm free after that. PM me. As for the tire size, should i be doing 205/50R16 or 205/60R16?? I was told 50 but don't know the difference.

My cousin just got hooked up for 15" Viking Sno Tech tires which I hear are good and yet affordable. 15" tires for $95 plus Taxes a pop for the tires, and $55 for the steelies. That'd cost him under 6 or just around 600 plus taxes which isn't bad. I'm waiting on him to get back to me.

yeah but that's because they still have tread on them. These guys use winter tires were the tread is totally gone. They ussually get them shaved which is about $25 per tire IIRC. But when you buy the tires used the cost savings is there.

[/b]
That's pretty cool to know. I never even heard people doing that. That's very cool. I guess I'll have to keep my winters when they're done to find out :D :drive:

·
Registered
412 Posts
205/60R16 is the OEM size for the 16 steelies.

<---- Those ones :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
205/60R16 is the OEM size for the 16 steelies.

<---- Those ones :D
[/b]
Thanks!..that makes more sense.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For those of you with an 03-05 Mazda6 I would recommend getting 15" wheels with 205/65-15's. This is what I use for winter and they turned out to be about $150 cheaper than getting 16's.
[/b]
I agree 100%. And I found that because there is less room between the brakes and the rim there is less room for snow pack after fooling around or just driving in deep snow.

If you dont know a snow packed rim will make the car shake, sometimes violently, at higher speeds because the balance is off.

Just called my local wal-mart and they have (205/65/15) Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires for $99.98 install included. ($10.95 each Balance) I had positive feedback when I got these on my last car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^Good point - I never thought of that.

I *HATE* trying to clear the snow out after driving through a drift or two...what a pain in the schnutz.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Guys, I've been doin some major Tire searches and consumer reports reading for the best tires etc. I know this year they've recommended the Goodyear ones but they are a hell of alot more then any other tire out there that is similar. This is the research I've done below which me and my cousin were discussing. I have just copied and pasted this stuff incase it helps anyone else.

At the moment I think I'm going to go for the Gislaveds. They to me seem the better choice.

The prices I've gotten so far here are (rims included and taxes etc)

Hankook iPike W409 @$785 ($112 per tire and $60 a rim plus taxes)
Gislaved NordFrost 5 @$793.50 ($114 per tire and $60 a rim plus taxes)

The Hakapelliita's have gone up in price due to Kal Tires taking over the whole market for them and being the only Retail outlet from Cambridge to Toronto right now. 2 people have told me this, before it was at a wholesale outlit, so people would by truck loads and sell them cheap but Nokian Tyres thought they were being ripped off for the quality in these tires so they restricted buyers and installers on them. The gentleman who I spoke to said, he can't even get them anymore but they were the best tires for snow he's ever seen. He said my model or version is discontinued anyways but he could get the Nokian RSi's for me. He said the next tires, are swedan made, off the same chemical compounds and last just as long, which are the Gislaved ones above. Similar patterns on them as the Goodyears and the Hankooks but definately worth the extra dollars compared to the hankooks. I'm not sure what types of steelies they are quoting me for. I'll find out and let you know.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...its_nf5_en.html

These are the tires i think Volvo sells to their customers.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=84
Their not too far off in design.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...Ultra+Grip+GW-3
The goodyears have the tread going into the centre like the other ones but it's still slightly different.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx
These are the nokians, again the same design pattern being used. He said these were more expensive and didn't get me a price at that time. He said something like 179-200 dollars a piece is what they are going for now. They went under a 40% price hike in the last 2 years.

At the momment, I'm debating between the Hankook and Gislaved's. Only because my experience with foreign brands have been good. They've got more colder weathers there so they're made alot better I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here the quote from www.tires23.com
----------------------
For your Mazda 6
205/60/16 with steelies
Hankook W300 $800/set
Hankook W409 $740/set
Continental Viking snowtech $660/set
All tax in, mounted and balanced

1 - 20 of 44 Posts