Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of 225/45/18 winter tires.

Two options: the Blizzak LM-25 and the Dunlop sport M3. What would be your choice?

I don't want to install the tires on steelies.

I live in Montreal and we can get lot of snow here although it is usually removed rapidly from the streets.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I am looking for a set of 225/45/18 winter tires.

Two options: the Blizzak LM-25 and the Dunlop sport M3. What would be your choice?

I don't want to install the tires on steelies.

I live in Montreal and we can get lot of snow here although it is usually removed rapidly from the streets.
[/b]
i hear excellent things about the dunlop m3's. i even know people who run them year round because they said they handle better then their summers. kinda weird, and i cant seriously accept that theory without driving the car myself. either way the dunlops are rated very very highly, and more then likely cheaper as well.

also can you even get 17 inch steelies. i have been searching hard for a place in the states( ny) that has 17' steelies. , max seems to be 16. i know i saw a thread with another guy from canada with 17' steelies.. i think he mentioned something about tire23.com.?? i dunno.. if you have any idea, please point me in a direction. i dont want 18 in winters, because i dont want o mess up the bead on the tires putting them on and off he stock rims.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can speak only for the Blizzak tires. I had them on my millenia and the tire was fantastic. I used some no name winter tires in Europe in the past but way far from the quality of the Blizzak. Winter is all about the driver's skills and his tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would personally go with a 215 the narrower(stock) width will give you better traction in the snow. I went with Pirrelli 240 Sottozero. They were way cheaper through tirerack than any canadian supplier. The nice thing with these tires is they are supposed to give comprable drypavment performance, yet still work in the ice and snow. And they are speed rated to 140? I am still waiting on them to arrive, so I cant say if they meet my expectations yet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got a set of 215/50/17 Dunlop M3s mounted on 17" Mazda rims. As soon as it gets cold enough, I'm swapping 'em out. Man, I can't wait for it to snow!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have Blizzak on my legacy, its a tank in winter, and funny thing is, it is better than the OEM Potenza RE92 in dry or warmer condition!, well as the whole internet know that RE92 is the worst tire ever made tho...

Okay, the Blizzak really bites when you're braking and accelerating. You cant go wrong with them, as for the M3, I intended to get those originally but I had to wait, and then it was snowing like crazy outside, the tire guy just told me they have Blizzak and I didnt have to wait. Of course I knew about them, so i bought them for maybe 40bucks cheaper than M3 for 4 tires.

I would get the M3 if I have to choose again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the M3s last winter and even with the huge snowfalls we got in Montreal, traction was great. I think they could be better on ice, but you cant beat these tires on dry and wet roads! I'm putting them back on this winter, but I dont know if there's gonna be some thread left in march.

215/45r17 by the way and I wouldnt suggest keeping it on 18'' in Montreal with the battlefield-like roads. Put 2 dents in the steelies last winter, and they're 17''.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was just talking to Tirerack about those. They recommend the Blizzaks over the M3s-say the reviews favor the M3s but the testing they've done suggests the Blizzaks work better. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. The Pirellis are cheaper but review and test badly...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tire rack is very biased towrds blizzak. They tend to be the only ones who have blizzak come out on top. Try finding rewies from finland and sweeden. Blizzaks are great when they are brand new, almost impossible to beat. But put 100miles on them and they are no longer as good, 200miles and its totally noticable the drop in performance. The rubber tends to harden if you heat them up by driving fast on dry pavement (highway)

The Pirreli for out car (215/45/18) is not there maximum winter grip tire That would be the 240 wintersport. The 240 sottosport is the comprimise between snow and dry performance. Considering roads tend to clear quicky maximum winter performance is not what I am after. I know how to slow down when the condidtions are not ideal. Tires are always a comprimise. They only way to have it all, is to have multiple sets and change them as needed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
it amazes me how interested i am in winter tire threads, having just bought myself a set of rims and tires for winter, all the while remembering that just 2 years ago i was driving a 2wd, no lsd, long wheel base dakota on worn out all seasons. i would commute 40 miles a day in the snowiest city in the us, lol.

oh well...i guess now i am after snow performance AND dry performance, new priorities.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Blizzak will give better overall grip in deep snow, slush, and ice as it is softner than the M3.

But the M3 is a better all-around tire. Unless you are constantly plowing through inches of snow week after week, the Dunlop will last longer, handle better in the dry and is still an awesome snow tire.

I have a set for my FWD Focus SVT and it made a huge difference the past couple winters, but doesn't suffer on dry days as much as I thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your advices folks! :love:

I initially didn't want to change my stock 18" wheels but after reading your advices I opted for the 17" package (Dunlop SP Sport Winter M3 mounted on 17" mag wheels).

Here is what they look like.

[attachmentid=16461]

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi there, at risk of covering ground that has already been covered.

I have the M3's - with steelies (and love them)

Be aware that we are not comparing the same thing here. the Dunlops are a performance "winter tire" - (and is marketed as such) - The Blizzaks are of a more winter tire (tread pattern)

Now as mentioned - I have the M3's and they are great... (this is based on last winter of hich there was hardly any snow and the temps were moderate.

Winter tires are also about the rubber and resistance to freezing.

I am really looking forward to a cold - snowy winter, so I can put my tires and AWD to the test!
(then again I am Canadian)

Bring it on!

good luck

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I would personally go with a 215 the narrower(stock) width will give you better traction in the snow. I went with Pirrelli 240 Sottozero. They were way cheaper through tirerack than any canadian supplier. The nice thing with these tires is they are supposed to give comprable drypavment performance, yet still work in the ice and snow. And they are speed rated to 140? I am still waiting on them to arrive, so I cant say if they meet my expectations yet. [/b]
I'm in the same boat, I was told they were due to arrive at the end of October/beginning of November. We've had a couple of light snow falls so far, nothing that really stuck to the ground, and I didn't really have a problem with the stock tires, but I can't wait until my Pirelli's get here before we start to get some really heavy snowfalls later this winter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm still trying to find a place I can order a complete package from with wheels and tires :( tiretrends.com and 1010tires.com have nothing! (canadian)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still trying to find a place I can order a complete package from with wheels and tires :( tiretrends.com and 1010tires.com have nothing! (canadian)
[/b]
I ordered mine at tiretrends.com

·
Registered
836 Posts
are the Dunlops really necessary in the winter (being a "performance" tire)? I'm totally new to this whole winter tire thing. I've always had all season tires put on my stock rims for my Probe and usually been ok in the snow. Is there a real difference to Performance and Studless Ice and Snow?

ßill

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are the Dunlops really necessary in the winter (being a "performance" tire)? I'm totally new to this whole winter tire thing. I've always had all season tires put on my stock rims for my Probe and usually been ok in the snow. Is there a real difference to Performance and Studless Ice and Snow?

ßill
[/b]
May be this is a suitable answer: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=80

·
Registered
836 Posts
yeah i actually just read up on that almost right after posting. Didn't see the link at first glance.

ßill

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reading the Nov '06 CR on tires is worthwhile: Dunlops are better on snow but Blizzarks are much better on ICE! Blizzarks are also better in the handling and in dry conditions!

Interestingly: Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 got the highest rating.

But: these ratings are not for MS6 tire size...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts