Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a winter tire package that i bought off tirerack. when i bought it i am almost postive that they said inflate them to the mazda recommended spec for the stock tires, which is 38 psi(cold), which would be fine for the 215/50/17's. any one running these size snows? what pressure are you running to handle the weight suffeciently?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have a winter tire package that i bought off tirerack. when i bought it i am almost postive that they said inflate them to the mazda recommended spec for the stock tires, which is 38 psi(cold), which would be fine for the 215/50/17's. any one running these size snows? what pressure are you running to handle the weight suffeciently?
[/b]
I got Dunlop Graspics 215/50/17's and the Discount tire guys mentioned it should be 35 PSI. I am not sure if that is correct since the load index is 91. Does anyone have a comment?
I would think somewhere around 40 since max inflaction pressure is 44 PSI.
Dunlop Graspic Ds-2 Spec

Thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got Dunlop Graspics 215/50/17's and the Discount tire guys mentioned it should be 35 PSI. I am not sure if that is correct since the load index is 91. Does anyone have a comment?
I would think somewhere around 40 since max inflaction pressure is 44 PSI.
Dunlop Graspic Ds-2 Spec

Thanks
[/b]

i know that with the weight of our cars we need the high pressure, maybe i will just call tirerack and ask.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am running the stock size LM-22's on my stock 18 in rims for winter. I use 38.5 in mine - rides and handles fine with this pressure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
having worked in a tire shop I can say that you should always go with the vehicles PSI number, not the one the tire shop filled them up to. That is unless the vehicle owners manuals states a higher PSI than the max on the tire, in that case use the max on the tire.

Our owners manual states to run 4.3psi (30kpa)higher than the summer number (38) So that is what you should do. Remember this is a cold number, not to be checked after you have been driving. Another thing to take in account is ambient air temp. As the temp drops, so will your air pressure. So when its minus 40 you need to add air. And dont check the pressure in your heated garage.

Also dont run the car with tire chains, or above 120km/h (75mph) with winter tires. Its all in your manual. That last one I dont follow as the Sotto Zeros are speed rated to 150mph
Hope this helps.

Here is a quote direct from the owners manual

Snow Tires
Use snow tires on all four wheels
Don't go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
while driving with snow tires. Inflate
snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
more than recommended on the tire
pressure label (driver's door frame), but
never more than the maximum cold-tire
pressure shown on the tires.

Your vehicle is originally equipped with
summer tires designed for optimum
traction on wet and dry roads. If your
vehicle is to be used on snow and ice
covered roads, Mazda recommends that
you replace the tires originally equipped
on your vehicle with snow tires during the
winter months.

WARNING
Mixing Tire Types:
Using tires different in size or type is
dangerous. Your vehicle's handling
could be greatly affected and result in
an accident. Use only the same size
and type tires (snow, radial, or nonradial)
on all four wheels.

CAUTION
Check local regulations before using
studded tires.
qTire Chains
This vehicle cannot be operated with tire
chains because it could cause interference
with the vehicle body and scratching.
Before Driving Your Mazda

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a quote direct from the owners manual
Snow Tires
Use snow tires on all four wheels
Don't go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
while driving with snow tires. Inflate
snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
more than recommended on the tire
pressure label (driver's door frame), but
never more than the maximum cold-tire
pressure shown on the tires.

[/b]
Agreed- but, in my case, my snow tires are of different size and load rating. 215/50/17 with a 91 load rating and I think Q speed rated. So, low speed now makes sense. Its the air pressure I am worried about.
The Stock tires are 93 XL while snows are 91 SL.

I think this changes how one looks at the inflation pressure. Don't know the details but would appreciate someone shedding some light.

Thanks,

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice, so run 42psi. Hopefully this will help my car not handle like ass. I jerk the wheel, and about 1/4 second later the car starts to turn.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm at 42psi now.. car still handles like crap :( Should of gotten 18" LM22's and wheels I guess instead of 17" WS5's

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm at 42psi now.. car still handles like crap :( Should of gotten 18" LM22's and wheels I guess instead of 17" WS5's
[/b]
I'll vouch for the LM-22's

·
Registered
210 Posts
any winter tire will feel softer compared to the REO5A's we have stock. The best handling in the dry would be the Sottozeros.

As for the tire pressure. Run at least 42 psi. Increase as you feel necessary, but do not exceed the tires maximum inflation pressure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here are the graspic specs as per dunlops web site

Size Load/Speed Rimwidth [email protected]
215/50R17 91Q 6.0 - 7.5 477 @ 44

The difference in load rating between 91 and 93 is 76lbs. I would not worry to much unless you are carrying a load. ie 4 adults, then I would probably max the pressure to 44lbs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow I just got some 215/50-17 blizzak's. I set them to 38 psi, but you guys are saying I should go to 42? IMO 42 is too close to the max pressure. I'll compromise @ 40 how's that? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts