Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I'm addressing this question to the right place, but has anyone ever tried those foam snow rakes? They seem like they're so hard they would damage paint even though they claim not to. Any suggestions on what is the most paint friendly snow removal tool?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure if I'm addressing this question to the right place, but has anyone ever tried those foam snow rakes? They seem like they're so hard they would damage paint even though they claim not to. Any suggestions on what is the most paint friendly snow removal tool?[/b]
I've looked at those too. I wouldn't trust it either, but if you use it for all but the last inch or so then switching to a brush, that might work better. Not much use for one down here but when the heavy snow comes I'll just use whatever is at hand, whether it's a piece of cardboard, a broom or my arm.

You could try reposting to the general chat area or the newbie forum for more responses.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i wouldnt really use anything, because if it snows salt is usually put down, the salt gets stuck to your car, and when you brush it with a brush or anything you are rubbing the salt against the paint and scratching the hell oout of it.

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,683 Posts
i wouldnt really use anything, because if it snows salt is usually put down, the salt gets stuck to your car, and when you brush it with a brush or anything you are rubbing the salt against the paint and scratching the hell oout of it.[/b]
What? :huh:

Then I bet you're one of the drivers that pull out of the driveway with only the windows partly cleared on a snow-filled car, blinding yourself and others when the snow starts flying off on the highway. :slap:

The car dealers up here in the snow belt use the foam snow rakes all the time, usually to clear the cars out in the lot. I highly doubt they'd scratch the car up too much if the dealers use them on brand-new cars. My father also has one with extra reach to clean off his Freestyle, no scratches there either.

Oh, and for the record, using a snow brush or foam rake will not scratch the salt/road grime into the paint if it's used correctly. You're not supposed to push the brush into the paint, you only need to brush the snow off with a light touch. In the 15+ years that I've driven, I've never scratched the paint on any of my cars while brushing snow off, and that includes cars caked with salt and road grime.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i wouldnt really use anything, because if it snows salt is usually put down, the salt gets stuck to your car, and when you brush it with a brush or anything you are rubbing the salt against the paint and scratching the hell oout of it.[/b]
yeah, salt is never a good thing... i just brush off the top layer of snow... then when i'm driving down the road, the rest comes off about as good as it will get. when the snow is melted, i'll take the car to a car wash, then park it in my garage for a bit afterwards!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess if there is any salt or sand on the car and it gets rubbed by anything when removing the snow it will scratch.
I just try and remove the snow as genty as possible then worry about the scratches in the spring.
A friend has one of those snobrooms and he really liks it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What? :huh:

Then I bet you're one of the drivers that pull out of the driveway with only the windows partly cleared on a snow-filled car, blinding yourself and others when the snow starts flying off on the highway. :slap:

The car dealers up here in the snow belt use the foam snow rakes all the time, usually to clear the cars out in the lot. I highly doubt they'd scratch the car up too much if the dealers use them on brand-new cars. My father also has one with extra reach to clean off his Freestyle, no scratches there either.

Oh, and for the record, using a snow brush or foam rake will not scratch the salt/road grime into the paint if it's used correctly. You're not supposed to push the brush into the paint, you only need to brush the snow off with a light touch. In the 15+ years that I've driven, I've never scratched the paint on any of my cars while brushing snow off, and that includes cars caked with salt and road grime.[/b]
first of all my driveway is secluded enough that i wouldnt need to clear off my window, not to mention that my car is in the garage where it is protected from the snow and lastly i dont even drive my 6 during the winter.

true if you use the foam brush correctly it wont scratch the paint, but most people dont use it correctly and scratch the hell out of there paint. i have seen it numerous times where people tried to remove the snow with salt on there car and they pressed to hard and it looks like they took sandpaper to there car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice so far. Looks like most people just use run of the mill snow rakes/brushes. I have always done that as well, and will most likely continue to since the general consensus is that they dont bother the paint much, if at all. That is unless there is anyone out there with a different solution. I'm basically just in search of the most gentle way to remove snow from my new 6!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.