Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MS6 is the first car that I actually care enough about to baby. During the cold Detroit winter months I would just run my previous cars through the 2-3 dollar car wash and hope the doors don't freeze shut. Being that I want to keep this beauty in pristine condition what do you northerners do to keep your cars clean? With temps dropping in the teens sometimes do I just push through with a dirty car or suffer and hand-dry before it freezes?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but the shoe fits!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
what you could do now before it does get too cold, it has been unseasonably warm here, is give her a detail, polish and couple coats of wax to get thru the winter....and in between to keep all the salt from rotting, run her thru those brushless car washes, and you should be good....thats my routine, i live in Maine...

But i also have a beater that i drive in the snow so she doesnt see much snow/salt...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, my goal is to get a beater as well in a year or so. Right now I am burning the miles on my Grand Am as the lease is up in Late Jan but that won't take me the whole way.

Great idea on the wax, I'll try that and see how it goes!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Whenever the temperatures rise above freezing, I get out the hose and at least rinse the car down to get most of the loose dirt and salt off.

My opportunities to give the car a proper wash during the winter tend to be few and far between. It's a bummer driving a dirty car all the time, but I just accept it as a fact of winter. Even when I do get a chance to wash the car, it only takes one drive to get it all drity again. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
what you could do now before it does get too cold, it has been unseasonably warm here, is give her a detail, polish and couple coats of wax to get thru the winter....and in between to keep all the salt from rotting, run her thru those brushless car washes, and you should be good....thats my routine, i live in Maine...

But i also have a beater that i drive in the snow so she doesnt see much snow/salt...
[/b]
+1

Stick with the brushless car washes.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I run a hose into my basement and hand wash it. no need to pay at a car wash when I can do it on my own
[/b]
Hmm, I can see how running a hose into the basement is easy enough. Running your car into the basement, on the other hand.... This might be difficult for most people.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hmm, I can see how running a hose into the basement is easy enough. Running your car into the basement, on the other hand.... This might be difficult for most people.
[/b]

what, you mean everyone doesnt' have a ramp into thier basement. damn, I've been lied to all these years......

·
Registered
286 Posts
what, you mean everyone doesnt' have a ramp into thier basement. damn, I've been lied to all these years......
[/b]
If I do get my car into my basement, the car being dirty will be my last concern. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm basically screwed up here in Washington. There aren't any brushless car washes around, and it rains all the time anyways so the wash would be good for a whole 17.3 seconds. What I have to do is just let it be nasty until there's a 2 or 3 day break from the rain and hand wash it. Sucks, but such if life I suppose.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm basically screwed up here in Washington. There aren't any brushless car washes around, and it rains all the time anyways so the wash would be good for a whole 17.3 seconds. What I have to do is just let it be nasty until there's a 2 or 3 day break from the rain and hand wash it. Sucks, but such if life I suppose.
[/b]
Damn, that sucks. No brushless car washes. I was my vehicles alot, but with all the rain that you say ya'll get up there. I'd be frustrated as hell. lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here in Minnesota there is a month and a half at least where the temp is below freezing and two weeks when it is below zero. With this said I will just let my car stay dirty for those two weeks and for the rest of the time I will wash at least twice a week and when I do I keep a small bottle of WD40 in the car and give all the lock a shot. Plus you have to wipe the door sill and molding off or it will freeze shut.

Also do you have a garage?

If so you can buy a space heater and put it in the garage and that will get the temp above 32 and give you car a chance to dry. By the way keep it away from the car and all things that may catch on fire. Also shut it off after you’re done or it’s just a waste.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Depending on your house, you may be able to heat it with the house. I just keep the dividing door open, and with the heat vent in the ceiling of the mud room, the garage heats nicely.

I do not recommend washing at all below 20 degrees and no hand washing below approximately 30 degrees if outside. Otherwise, you can scratch the paint with the ice shards or things can freeze up.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
Do not wash the car below freezing, unless you have a heated garage.

As stated before, a touchless car wash is a must. also, find one that will spray the undercarriage. Even if it's a dollar or two more, it's worth it to spray out the salt and road grime from the chassis.

With a good coat (or two) of wax in the fall, you should be fine through the winter with the above suggestions. :)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i do a few good coats of wax before winter, then it's good for most of winter, if not all...

at least once per week when it snows, I spray the car down with a hose but do not brush it for fear of scratching with salt and such. my car has survived northern winter conditions already doing this, and i intend on doing that process again!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
a good coat of wax is crucial and when ice is applied to the roads make sure you get to the touchess car wash asap and make sure you spray the undercarrage so that stuff dosent corrode.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah i just put 2 coats of wax on mine last weekend. That will last me until after winter.

After winter is nearing its end and there is that one random warm day,
I spend hours cleaning and waxing. There really is no greater feeling then driving around in a nice clean car after its been shitty for months.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is another option its called Optimum no rinse. You can actually do it in your garage.

optimumcarcare.com or autogeek.net check it out

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have many touchless car washes in Lincoln. I have a concern that the jets of water have a lot of impurities in them (i.e. little rocks) like the kinds I find when I clean my faucets. If the water coming out of the car wash jets is like that, I don't see how it couldn't not scratch the paint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts