Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run Potenza G009s on my stock 17" rims. I do NOT like their performance in the snow (since I had an accident on them last season). I like them in dry and rain conditions -- very nice tires -- but they are starting to get low on tread. Maybe 6 months left on them at my current commuting rate.

So I am considering buying blizzaks or some other winter tire to last me from November - April or so, then putting the potenzas back on for summer next.

Here's my dilemma, though -- I can't afford a second set of rims. How much am I looking at to have the snows mounted, balanced, etc? Should I just ride out the winter on the Potenzas, and get the Proxes 4s or whatever come spring? Or should I get the blizzaks, have them mounted on my OEM rims, and re-mount the potenzas next spring?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Have you considered a set of 16" black steel rims and snow tires?
[/b]
+1. A set of 16" steelies are REALLY cheap and a 16" tire is going to be a lot cheaper than a 17" tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
... So I am considering buying blizzaks or some other winter tire ... can't afford a second set of rims ...[/b]
Hi Stealth01; since you are willing to consider something other than Blizzaks, here is a suggestion. You can buy great winter tires for less, and probably use the difference to pay for a set of steelies (16" as noted by two posters above). Then you can swap them easily spring and fall.

Don't get me wrong - Blizzaks are an awesome tire, especially on ice when new, but they degrade as the soft first compound wears. I had Blizzaks on my last car (Protege) - thought they were great tires until third season. When I bought the Six I wanted a better wearing winter tire - after researching my short list was Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 or Pirelli Winter Carving. Went with the Carving and they were great last winter. Added bonus is they are a much better ride on bare pavement than Blizzak. If you want more details, check out my old post , hope this helps

·
Registered
900 Posts
Click here: Tirerack Winter Packages and then click 16" packages. As long as you have storage space, a full set to swap out would be optimum.

If you decide on just swapping out your tires, the usual mounting fees will be $50-$75. The problem is that the more you dismount and remount your tires the more there is a chance that a tire/rim could get damaged. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
If you decide on just swapping out your tires, the usual mounting fees will be $50-$75. The problem is that the more you dismount and remount your tires the more there is a chance that a tire/rim could get damaged. Just food for thought.
[/b]
Not only that, but by the time you do that a couple of times, you could have paid for steelies.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Get proper winters. according to Tire Rack, a set of 16" steelies with Blizzaks is only $524, less than $200 of that is wheels.

All seasons do not actually mean "all season" driving. They are meant for three season driving.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
Add me to the "buy 16" steelies and winter tires" category. 205/50-16s are the way to go.

Besides Blizzaks, I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s. I've got them for my 6, and I can't say enough about them. They trade in a SLIGHT amount of winter traction (compared to Blizzaks) for better performance when the roads are clear. Winter traction is still vastly better than all-seasons, and dry-road traction and control is great (even miles ahead of the OEM 17" all-season Michelins).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Anyone try the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Tires?

I am trying to decide on a set of winter tires as well...But I have my OEM rims just sitting in my garage, that I plan to mount the winters to, rather than buy steelies and then still have a set of oem wheels in my garage...

What do you guys think the best 17" winter tire is?

Dunlop Winter Sport M3 - 215/50/R17
Blizzak REVO1 - 225/45/R17
Pirelli Winter Carving - 225/45/R17

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
Dunlop M3 Sport - ???
Blizzak REVO1 - ???
Pirelli Winter Carving - ???
[/b]
I've heard that the Dunlops are excellent. There's a person that's in my office building that has them for his STi, and loves them.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Anyone try the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Tires?

I am trying to decide on a set of winter tires as well...But I have my OEM rims just sitting in my garage, that I plan to mount the winters to, rather than buy steelies and then still have a set of oem wheels in my garage...

What do you guys think the best 17" winter tire is?

Dunlop Winter Sport M3 - 215/50/R17
Blizzak REVO1 - 225/45/R17
Pirelli Winter Carving - 225/45/R17
[/b]
None of the above.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi.

Probably in the 215/55R17XL size or the 205/50R17XL size, depending whether you prefer to gear down or gear up for winter driving.

http colon slash slash nokiantires dot com slash en slash tire_hakkarsi dot aspx.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys, but in the end, the answer was right in front of my face. On snowy days, I'll take my wife's MPV, which has a brand new set of Bridgestone all seasons on it. If it snows more than a couple of inches, I'll stay home and take a day off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
... If it snows more than a couple of inches, I'll stay home and take a day off.[/b]
I have snow envy because have skied your part of the continent several times. If I lived in CO, on first fresh snow day I'd be taking the day off just like you - but I'd be throwing skis into the Six hatch, and relying on my Pirelli Winter Carving to get me up to Breckenridge :yesnod:

Seriously - be careful on all seasons - as brightwhite said above.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've made it two years on all-seasons and while I did have an accident on the G009s, it was a storm I never should have driven into, regardless of what tire I had. So I think I'll be ok.

Here in the front range, we really don't get much snow. If I was further west, it'd be a bigger issue.

And if all else fails, I'll get the 16" steelies and throw the Pirellis on there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Where is the best place to find a set of steelies? And what size is need to go with a 205/60/R16 Snow tire?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Where is the best place to find a set of steelies? And what size is need to go with a 205/60/R16 Snow tire?
[/b]
Do they make steel wheels for 17 or 18 inch rims? Can a MazdaSpeed6 use 17inchs without problems? :drive:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you live cold place like Michigan, then go for winter tires. I drove with summer tire during the winter. lol. If you want to ski on snow, then go for summer tires. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Since I'm rather cheap and on a budget most of the time, I went for 15" steel wheels with 205/65-15's. They fit fine and I've never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts