Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a test drive about 3 weeks ago in a 4 cylinder 6 with sport package and manual. Nice combo by the way.
It was a drizzly day so I had to use the wipers a few times. I noticed that the wipers don't quite go far enough to the left, especially the drivers side. The wiper would sweep left and then stop it's sweep leaving at least 2" or more of unwiped area at the left side. It was a little off putting cause it takes away some needed visibility to see traffic, however, that area is not wiped.

So, was this just on this particular model I drove? Could the wipers have needed adjustment?
Or, is this common on the 6?

Hopefully some owners will respond. :)
Thanks.

Tome

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Reading Topic: winshield wiper pattern?

can't say i've tried...something definitely to be tried...personally, at this stage, i don't really care...it hasn't effected my driving too much or at all really...i can definitely see it being a pain to some tho.

-yasir

·
Registered
526 Posts

Earlier in the week I drove over 400 miles on some of the dirtiest roads I can remember. I never once noticed a lack of visibility.

I think you'll find that the gap you're talking about is rather normal for a LOT of cars. Some do go all the way to the edge, but a lot don't.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Rain-X is great and really works, but honestly you have to be going at a pretty fast speed for it to work and for you to NOT AT ALL use your wipers.. IF your going through towns, it's useless. Your going to use the wipers no matter what.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I use Liquid Glass on my windshield and the water just rolls off.
However, it is true that when going slower the wipers are still needed.

It's not a big deal on the windshield wiper pattern, but it's quite annoying.
Actually, from my experience, most cars don't have that much gap on the drivers side in the US.
Usually, it's the passenger that doesn't get the biggest clean area.

Tome

·
Registered
526 Posts

You could be right - I haven't paid much attention.

After having read this thread though, my first stop after work is going to be Wal-Mart to pick up some Rain-X. You probably don't go through wiper blades as quickly or scratch the glass' surface as much (y'know - the etching the wipers make over time).

·
Registered
791 Posts

Yeah, I use it. The less aerodynamic your vehicle, the better it works at lower speeds. Consequently, you have to be on the highway for it to work well on the '6.

At any speed, it does improve visibility by reducing water smears. The water just beads right up instead. At high speeds, wind blows these beads away. That's how it works.

·
Registered
791 Posts

You may wish to put two coats of Rain-X on when you first use it. Follow the directions carefully and be careful to avoid creating streaks or missing spots.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: winshield wiper pattern?

Thanks Stretchjse.

Looks like we're having two conversations between here and Edmunds. I suppose I should do some work today. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I've not used Rain X on the windshield as I've always used Liquid Glass. I have used the internal RainX stuff that is supposed to keep fogging down, it didn't. :)

Liquid Glass is a paint sealer, non wax product. It goes on very easily on the glass and last a good long time. Wax works too but it wears much quicker.
Liquid Glass is intended for paint protection but I stumbled across it's windshield aspects on accident when I got some on the windshield and then it rained a few days later and that spot didn't smear and the rain just beaded and ran off.
It's pricey stuff at about $17 per can, but it's long lasting and you only need a little bit and you can use it for your car finish. After washing, I use a clay bar to remove the stuck on particles, then liquid glass, then a good coat of wax. That's twice a year and the rest of the year is just simple wash and quick wax.

I'll get some Rain X and compare it to Liquid Glass to see which lasts longer or works better.

Tome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.